Kemper is a multifaceted insurance holding company that sells auto, home, life and small business insurance products. It offers auto insurance through agents and independent brokers in the state of California, and it also offers home and auto insurance online in various states. Kemper also sells products through independent agencies. With multiple avenues to acquire insurance, Kemper is user-friendly and customer-oriented.
Kemper auto insurance
Kemper auto insurance is only available in California, but it’s ideal for any driver who wants to be able to fully customize their policy. Customers can also take advantage of multiple discounts to lower their premium.
Kemper Insurance offers many different coverage options beyond your standard bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance. Some of the available options include:
- Trip interruption: This coverage offers $600 for transportation and lodging expenses if you’re over 100 miles from home and you get into an accident or experience car issues.
- Dependent protection: If you get injured in an accident and can’t care for your child, Kemper will provide up to $1,000 in daycare costs and give $10,000 to your dependents if a fatality occurs.
- Enhanced car seat replacement: If your child’s car seat is damaged in an accident, Kemper will pay for a new one.
- Pet coverage: If your dog or cat is injured in a covered accident, Kemper will give you $2,000 to cover their medical expenses.
- Rental car reimbursement: This pays for the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance coverage will help when you get a flat tire, run out of gas, get locked out of your car or need towing services.
- Accident forgiveness: With accident forgiveness coverage, your rate won’t increase after an accident, even if you’re at-fault.
In addition to the optional endorsements, Kemper Insurance offers extensive discounts for drivers. Those discounts include:
- Multi-policy: You can get a discount by bundling your home, condo, or renters insurance with an auto policy.
- Network discount: If you refer a friend to Kemper and they sign a policy, you both get 10% off your premium.
- Free-A-Tree® discount: Policyholders can get a discount if they sign up for paperless statements.
- Happily Married Discount™: Married couples, as well as people in legally recognized civil unions and domestic partnerships, can get a discount on their car insurance.
- Preferred Payer Discount™: If you pay your premium in full, or even pay half of the annual bill upfront, you qualify for savings.
- Retro Loyalty Discount™: If you switch to Kemper, you can get a discount based on how long you were a customer with your last insurance company.
- Safe & Sound® discount: If there are least two named insureds on your policy, and at least one driver is over 18, you can save money if all the drivers on the policy are claims-free for at least three years, and have been continuously insured for at least one year.
- Car safety features: If your car has airbags, an anti-theft device, or automatic seatbelts, you can get a lower premium.
- Mature driver discount: Drivers who are at least 55 years old and have taken an approved accident prevention course qualify for a discount on their premium.
Kemper home insurance
Kemper offers basic home insurance coverage in 13 states. Compared to its auto insurance offering, Kemper’s home insurance is basic, although it does offer a few options for add-on coverage.
In addition to standard property coverage, like dwelling and personal property insurance, Kemper offers a few options for additional homeowners coverage, like:
- Valuable item coverage: Customers can add valuable item insurance to increase their coverage limit for things like fine art and jewelry.
- Identity fraud coverage: Homeowners can purchase identity theft coverage from Kemper, which helps cover the cost of identity restoration services.
- Audio and video coverage: Kemper offers coverage for digital audio and video content.
Kemper Insurance offers discounts to help homeowners save money on their premium, such as:
- Multi-policy discount: Homeowners can save money on their insurance if they bundle their home and auto policy.
- Age of home discount: If your home is less than 15 years old, Kemper will give you a discount.
- Age of roof discount: If your home’s roof is less than six years old, you might be able to save some money on your premium.
- Coverage bundle discount: Homeowners who buy three or more add-on coverages can get a 10 percent discount on each one.
- Renovation discount: Homes that are more than 25 years old and have renovated heating, wiring or plumbing systems can get a 10 percent discount on their rate.
- New home buyer discount: New homebuyers who recently purchased their home within the last two years can get a discount.
- Happily Married Discount™: Married homeowners qualify for a discount.
- Hip roof discount: If your home has a hip roof (shaped like a pyramid), you can save money on your home insurance.
- Safe & Sound® discount: If your home is equipped with certain safety devices, like fire alarms or an anti-theft system, you can get a discount.
- Window protection discount: Homeowners who live in coastal areas that are impacted by hurricanes can save money on their premium by installing storm-proof shutters.
Kemper life insurance
Kemper offers basic life insurance policies, with only two options for coverage. The website includes limited information on life insurance coverage in general, so we recommend working with an agent to make sure you’re purchasing the right type of coverage, and the right amount of coverage for your needs.
Types of policies offered
Kemper Insurance offers two forms of life insurance.
Term Life Insurance
Kemper’s term life insurance includes coverage for a specific period of time—either 10, 20 or 30 years. The major upside is that your premiums remain the same throughout the term, and it’s cheaper than whole life insurance.
Whole Life Insurance
Whole life insurance offers coverage for your entire lifetime and includes a cash value component. Kemper specifically offers limited pay whole life policies, which means you pay your premium for a certain number of years, and after the period is up, you’re no longer required to make monthly payments to keep your policy in force.
Kemper ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
|Insurance Information Institute||Registered|
|J.D. Power (auto insurance)||784/1,000 (California region)|
Kemper Insurance reviews are average when you look at ratings from leading research organizations. The company stands out for its good financial strength, with an A- rating from AM Best. However, Kemper has a B- rating from the BBB, and is ranked last in J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study for the California region.
Reasons why Kemper might be a great option
If you’re looking for an insurance company with a lot of additional coverage options and generous discount choices, Kemper may be the right fit for you. They offer plenty of additional coverage options for home and auto policies, and their discounts are in line with other major insurance providers.
For people who have had trouble getting car insurance in the past, Kemper may be a good option. Kemper insurance is known to provide coverage for new drivers, drivers with accidents and drivers who need an SR-22 to continue driving. Because of the student discounts, it’s also a great choice for those in college, or for those with young adults in college.
The Kemper auto insurance rate for a sample driver, a 33-year old female driver with one at-fault accident in Texas, is $1,550 for six months. That’s higher than other insurance companies for people with at-fault accidents, but they do offer a generous discount for paying in full for a 12-month premium. Our sample driver could save around $300 a year by paying in full.
Kemper home insurance is also a good option if you live in one of the 13 covered states. The coverage is very limited, but you can take advantage of many discounts that will surely lower your premium.
Additional policies offered by Kemper
In addition to home and car insurance, Kemper offers other insurance products that may be useful to people who want to bundle their services:
- Boat Insurance
- Commercial Auto
- Health Insurance
- Personal Catastrophe Liability
- Renters/Condo Insurance
- Fire insurance
Frequently asked questions
What information is needed to get a quote from Kemper?
Getting a quote with Kemper is quick and easy. To get a quote, all you will need is your vehicle information (year, make and model), your driving record and personal information. You’ll fill out a quick form online, and your quote will be delivered instantly.
How do I file a Kemper insurance claim?
You can report a claim online with Kemper’s website. You’ll need your personal information, information about the other driver (if applicable) and vehicle and accident information. Once you submit your claim online, a representative will follow up with you.
What if I need an SR-22?
Kemper can help you with your SR-22 needs. Contact a local agent today to find out what you need to get an SR-22.
Can I pay my Kemper insurance bill with autopay?
Yes, Kemper offers a discount for people who sign up with EZPaySM. Payments are automatically deducted from the account on file so you don’t need to worry about taking care of your bill each month.