Kemper is a multifaceted insurance holding company that sells auto, home and small business insurance products. They offer auto insurance through agents and independent brokers in the state of California, and they also offer home and auto insurance online in various states. They sell products through independent agencies, as well. With multiple avenues to acquire insurance, Kemper is user-friendly and customer-oriented.
Kemper car insurance coverage options and discounts
Kemper Insurance offers many different coverage options beyond your standard bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance. Some of the available options include:
- Auto Loan/Lease: Also known as gap insurance, this option will cover your vehicle if there is a total loss. It pays the difference between your vehicle’s value and the amount you owe on an outstanding loan or lease. This coverage may also be offered by your lender, so check to make sure if you have it or not.
- Kemper Total™: Available for new or leased vehicles, this coverage option will pay for either the entire repair cost or a new vehicle (whichever is less) in the event of a covered loss. This option also includes Auto Loan/Lease coverage, so you won’t need to purchase that separately.
- Parked Auto: If you are not in your car and it is legally parked, this option will waive your collision deductible on a covered loss.
In addition to the optional coverage options, Kemper insurance offers extensive discounts for drivers. Those discounts include:
- Anti-lock Brakes: If your car has qualified anti-lock brakes installed, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Anti-theft Devices: If your car has qualified anti-theft devices installed, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Away at School: If an eligible driver under 25 is away at college, you may qualify for a discount.
- Good Student: If an eligible driver maintains good grades, they may qualify for a discount.
- Sr. Operator Defensive Driving Course: If an eligible senior driver takes a defensive driving course, they may qualify for a discount.
- Multi-car: If you have more than one vehicle on your policy, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Passive Restraint/Airbags: If your car has airbags or other qualified passive restraints, you may be eligible for a discount.
Kemper home insurance coverage options and discounts
In addition to standard property coverage, Kemper offers a few different options for additional homeowners coverage, like:
- Blanket Valuable Items: For groups of valuable items, such as golf equipment, jewelry or valuable collectibles, this coverage will cover their cost with no deductible.
- Identity Fraud Expense: With your eligibles homeowners, condo or renters insurance policy, you can get protection from identity theft.
- Package Plus: This package offers additional coverage, a Blanket Property Limit, discounts for auto and home policies and one-bill convenience.
- Personal Electronic Equipment: If you’ve invested a lot of money into personal electronic equipment, this coverage extends your coverage with no deductible.
- Replacement Cost Contents: This coverage eliminates the depreciation of an item so you can receive full replacement value.
- Replacement Cost Dwelling: Allows for a higher dollar limit on your dwelling coverage.
- Scheduled Personal Property: If you have very valuable items, you can list each item and its value with this coverage with no deductible. Appraisals may be required.
They also offer discounts for homeowners and renters:
- Loss-free: Available to customers who have not had a claim within a specified time period.
- Loyalty: Available to customers who have had a policy with Kemper for a specified period.
- Mature Homeowner: Available to eligible customers of retirement age.
- Protective Devices: Available to customers who have eligible alarms or detectors installed in their home.
Kemper ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Kemper has been around long enough to have established ratings with key organizations that track consumer insurance providers.
- A.M. Best Rating – A-: Excellent ability to meet its ongoing financial obligations.
- BBB Rating – A+: Not accredited with BBB, but representative of how BBB believes Kemper interacts with its customers.
- Insurance Information Institute: Registered.
- J.D Power Rating – 2/5 stars: Overall satisfaction with their services based on consumer ratings.
According to ConsumerAffairs, Kemper Insurance has just over a 1-star rating based on consumer reviews. Some of the reviews indicate that Kemper insurance claims are not processed in a timely manner, though others indicate that the rates are competitive.
Reasons why Kemper might be a great option
If you’re looking for an insurance company with a lot of additional coverage options and generous discount choices, Kemper may be the right fit for you. They offer plenty of additional coverage options for home and auto policies, and their discounts are in line with other major insurance providers.
For people who have had trouble getting car insurance in the past, Kemper may be a good option. Kemper insurance is known to provide coverage for new drivers, drivers with accidents and drivers who need an SR-22 to continue driving. Because of the student discounts, it’s also a great choice for those in college, or for those with young adults in college.
The Kemper auto insurance rate for a sample driver, a 33-year old female driver with one at-fault accident in Texas, is $1,550 for six months. That’s higher than other insurance companies for people with at-fault accidents, but they do offer a generous discount for paying in full for a 12-month premium. Our sample driver could save around $300 a year by paying in full.
Additional policies offered by Kemper
In addition to home and car insurance, Kemper offers other insurance products that may be useful to people who want to bundle their services:
- Boat Insurance
- Commercial Auto
- Life and Health Insurance
- Personal Catastrophe Liability
- Renters/Condo Insurance
Frequently asked questions
What information is needed in order to get a quote from Kemper?
Getting a quote with Kemper is quick and easy. To get a quote, all you will need is your vehicle information (year, make and model), your driving record and personal information. You’ll fill out a quick form online and your quote will be delivered instantly.
How do I file a Kemper insurance claim?
You can report a claim online with Kemper’s website. You’ll need your personal information, information about the other driver (if applicable) and vehicle and accident information. Once you submit your claim online, a representative will follow up with you.
What if I need an SR-22?
Kemper can help you with your SR-22 needs. Contact a local agent today to find out what you need to get an SR-22.
Can I pay my Kemper insurance bill with autopay?
Yes, Kemper offers a discount for people who sign up with EZPaySM. Payments are automatically deducted from the account on file so you don’t need to worry about taking care of your bill each month.