Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a Florida-based, government-owned not-for-profit insurer that was established in 2002. The company sells property insurance to Florida homeowners who cannot get coverage through private insurers. This includes homeowners who have a sinkhole located near or on their property, or live in a high-risk flood zone.
Florida residents can purchase traditional homeowners insurance through Citizens Insurance, as well as renters, condo and manufactured home insurance. The provider also sells wind-only insurance policies for residential and non-residential properties. Citizens Insurance is funded exclusively by policyholder premiums.
If you cannot get private homeowners insurance due to specific risks associated with your property, Citizens Insurance may be a good option. However, you must meet several eligibility criteria in order to purchase coverage.
- Date established: 2002
- Insurance products offered: Home, condo, renters, manufactured home
- AM Best financial strength rating: N/A
- NAIC complaint index: .24 (below average)
- Availability: Florida
|Offers insurance for high-risk homes||Only available in Florida|
|Wind-only policies available||No online quotes|
|24/7 claim reporting||Must meet eligibility criteria|
|Online portal for policy management|
Citizens Property Insurance Corp. home insurance
Citizens Property Insurance sells home insurance policies for high-risk site-built and manufactured homes. If your home is located in an area that is prone to damage from severe weather and you cannot get private coverage, you might be able to get insurance through Citizens. However, because Citizens insurance is limited to applicants who would otherwise be unable to secure a policy, homeowners who qualify for standard coverage can consider Florida’s host of other traditional best home insurance companies when insuring their home.
Types of coverage
Citizens Property Insurance sells a variety of homeowners and manufactured home insurance policies. Standard policies include dwelling, other structures, personal property, liability and additional living expenses coverage. You can get a modified homeowners policy, which provides coverage against 11 named perils. Citizens Property Insurance also sells dwelling fire and wind-only policies.
In addition to standard coverage, you can also add several endorsements to your policy for more protection. Available add-ons include:
- Personal property replacement cost coverage: This endorsement will replace your damaged personal items at their replacement cost value — which provides a bigger payout because it does not include depreciation — following a covered loss.
- Sinkhole loss coverage: Sinkhole loss coverage will pay for structural damage that is caused by verified sinkholes. Most Citizens insurance policies automatically include Catastrophic Ground Cover Collapse coverage, which covers depression in the ground cover and other similar damages. Adding sinkhole loss coverage can help boost your policy’s financial protection, offering more robust coverage.
- Increased law or ordinance coverage: This policy provides additional coverage if building codes increase the cost of rebuilding your home. Every Citizen Property policy automatically includes a smaller amount of standard law/ordinance coverage.
Homeowners who want to save money on home insurance can take advantage of several discounts through Citizens Property Insurance. There are five discounts available, most of which are geared toward keeping your home safe against weather risks. In order to qualify for many of these discounts, you must get a home inspection first.
Also, keep in mind that Citizens Property does not offer most common home insurance discounts, such as policy bundling or paying your premium in full. Here are two unique discounts you can get through Citizens Property Insurance:
- Wind mitigation discount: If your home has documented wind-damage mitigation features, you could qualify for a lower rate. Examples include storm shutters and doors that are designed to withstand projectiles.
- Roof construction discount: Citizens Property may offer a lower insurance rate if your home qualifies for the Florida Building Code Compliance discount. There may be additional discounts if your roof is inspected by a professional roof technician.
Citizens Property Insurance Corp. ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
However, Citizens Insurance has fewer than average complaints as reported in the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Company Complaint Index. The company’s complaint score for homeowners insurance is .24, which is below the national baseline of 1.0.
In terms of customer experience, Citizens Insurance has several online tools to help Florida homeowners find the best policy for their needs. There is also an online portal where customers can make payments and make policy updates. The company also has a 24/7 claim hotline.
Reasons Citizens Property Insurance Corp. insurance is a good option
Citizens Property Insurance is a good company to consider for Florida homeowners who cannot purchase standard home insurance through a private provider. This is often the case with homes that are located in areas with a high risk of damage from weather, such as hurricanes, flooding and wind, as well as sinkholes.
Additionally, Florida homeowners could add several endorsements to their home insurance policy for additional protection. There are also a variety of discounts that may help lower your rate, especially if your home is built to withstand severe weather.
One of the biggest disadvantages of Citizens Insurance is that coverage is only available in Florida. Also, you must work with an agent to get a quote and purchase a policy.
Additional policies offered by Citizens Property Insurance Corp.
Citizens Property Insurance only sells property insurance policies. In addition to homeowners insurance, you can also get condo, renters and manufactured home insurance.
Frequently asked questions
What is the Citizens Property Insurance deductible?
If you have a policy from Citizens Insurance, your deductible will either be a fixed dollar amount or a percentage of your home’s insured value. This can also depend on the type of claim you are filing and the cause.
What is the criteria for Citizens Property Insurance?
In order to get a home insurance policy from Citizens Insurance, you have to meet the eligibility requirements. You must have been denied coverage from a private, Florida-authorized insurance company, or your home insurance quotes must be more than 20% higher than the premium for comparable coverage from Citizens Insurance. This coverage is considered a last-resort coverage for those who would not otherwise be able to obtain home insurance due to risk.