While it may seem like a difficult task to narrow down the best car insurance providers in Hawaii, it’s important to find the company whose options fit your vehicle and circumstances best. In the long run, you’ll be glad you took the time to consider a range of companies before settling on one.
J.D. and Associates Power is one of the leading voices when it comes to ranking car insurance providers, and the company completes an exhaustive yearly study that breaks these rankings down by the United States region. Though there is not a breakdown of Hawaii or the Pacific region, J.D. Power does list several great auto insurance carriers in the most proximal region, the state of California. There, J.D Power lists the following companies as being some of the top providers of car insurance on the west coast:
- Allstate: Allstate scores a consistent 3/5 on the J.D. Power rankings. Beyond customer satisfaction, repairs process and claim servicing, Allstate also maintains this score for its estimation process and settlement amounts. From 2015-2019, Allstate was ranked as one of the world’s most ethical companies by the Ethisphere Institute.
- Geico: According to the Kanbay Research Institute, Geico is considered the overall most desired insurer when it comes to factors like customer service and staff training and development. The Customer Respect Group found that Geico receives high ratings from consumers based on website usability, communication and protection of private data.
- Liberty Mutual: Liberty Mutual soars above the pack when it comes to claim servicing, according to J.D. Power rankings. However, it hovers around the same ratings as Allstate and Liberty Mutual with regard to other factors like repairs process and overall customer satisfaction. Liberty Mutual has also been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency for its Green Initiative.
- State Farm: State Farm receives some of the highest possible ratings when it comes to its financial standing and ability to pay out claims. S&P, one of the nation’s leading researchers of credit ratings, follows suit with an AA rating for State Farm. According to J.D. Power, State Farm scores a 3/5 with regards to overall customer satisfaction, claim servicing, and the repairs process.
In addition to J.D. Power and Associates, other companies like the Better Business Bureau also rank car insurance companies. The BBB bases its ratings on the following components:
- Company size
- Amount of complaints against a business
- The manner in which a company responds to complaints
- The length of time a business takes to respond to complaints
- The good faith effort a company expends to resolve complaints
- How efficiently a business solves underlying issues resulting in complaints
- The number of current complaints
|J.D. Power Rating||BBB Rating||AM Best Rating|
|Allstate||3 out of 5||A+||A+|
|Geico||3 out of 5||A+||A++|
|Liberty Mutual||3 out of 5||A||A|
|State Farm||3 out of 5||A+||A++|
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Hawaii for you
Now that you know a few of the top-ranked auto insurance providers available in the state of Hawaii, you can shop around to determine which company offers the best coverage at the most affordable price for your circumstances.
Although car insurance premiums can vary from driver to driver, depending on a wide range of factors such as credit rating, age, gender, ZIP code and vehicle type, some insurance carriers are better suited than others in certain situations. The prices below reflect our custom driver who is a married 30-year old male driving a 2015 Toyota Corolla an average of 10,000 miles per year.
Cheapest overall car insurance in Hawaii: Geico
Geico often has the least expensive insurance rates with an average of $750 per year. Geico had the lowest annual premium for our test driver.
Hawaii car insurance company with the best discounts: State Farm
According to Forbes, State Farm stands out from the auto insurance pack when it comes to discounts. Drivers can save around 40% simply by installing modern safety equipment like airbags, daytime running lights and anti-lock brakes. State Farm also gives drivers an immediate 5% savings when they sign up for the safe driver program, which can end up netting safe drivers up to 50% off their insurance premiums.
Best Hawaii car insurance company for drivers with bad credit: All of them!
Consumer Affairs reports that Hawaii is one of three states (California and Massachusetts are the other two) that does not consider the policy holder’s credit score when estimating car insurance costs. Therefore, drivers with bad credit can breathe a sigh of relief when purchasing car insurance in the Aloha State.
Cheapest Hawaii car insurance for drivers with one accident: Allstate
Allstate is well-known for its accident forgiveness program, so it’s no surprise that it lands here on the list. The company promises that your rates won’t go up if you’re involved in an automobile accident–even if it was your fault.
Average cost of car insurance in Hawaii
According to the Insurance Information Institute, Hawaii ranks at number 33 in the nation when it comes to car insurance costs. In 2016, the average annual expenditure on auto insurance coverage was $781.90. However, annual insurance costs can vary depending on many factors, such as age and driving history. Review the chart below to see how your Hawaii car insurance rates may change based on different factors:
|Driving incident||Annual premium||Average increase|
|Poor credit rating||$1,080||0%|
|Driving under the influence||$5,389||79.97%|
Car insurance discounts in Hawaii
Many auto insurance carriers offer a variety of discounts to their insured drivers. In Hawaii, drivers can take advantage of numerous car insurance discounts.
Geico offers discounts including:
- A range of vehicle equipment discounts, such as up to 25% savings for driver side airbags and up to 40% for full-front seat airbags
- A 26% discount for good drivers who are accident-free for the past five years
- A discount for emergency deployments
- Multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts
State Farm’s discounts include:
- The Drive Safe & Save Discount can save an initial 5% on car insurance and work up to 30% savings with smart driving practices.
- Multi-car discounts for those households with two or more vehicles.
Liberty Mutual offers discounts such as:
- A bundling discount for carrying both auto and home insurance
- A special discount just for teachers in the state
- A discount for purchasing insurance online
- A discount for good driving behavior
Allstate includes a long list of potential discounts for their drivers, including:
- A good student discount for students who are 25 years old or younger and maintain a B- average or higher
- Anew car discount
- Aulti-policy discount
- An anti-theft discount.
State minimum insurance requirements
In the state of Hawaii, drivers are required to carry auto insurance when operating a vehicle. Because it is a no-fault state, your insurance company guarantees protection for injuries to you or your passengers up to the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) limit. The at-fault driver is responsible for any damage to vehicles or property.
If you wish to drive a car in Hawaii, you must carry the minimum amount of insurance, which includes $10,000 per person for personal injury protection, $20,000 per person or $40,000 per accident bodily injury liability and $10,000 per incident for property damage liability.
Liability coverage keeps you protected for damage or injuries caused by you. Personal injury protection applies when you or a passenger are injured and require medical treatment. Property damage liability can include vehicle or property damage you cause.
Though you are only required to carry these basic protections, speak with an auto insurance agent to determine whether you should consider comprehensive and collision coverage, which protects you more substantially than liability coverage alone. Without comprehensive and collision coverage, you won’t be covered when the accident is not your fault.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Hawaii?
The cheapest car insurance Hawaii offers will depend on your location, driving history and discounts you can get. However, the cheapest car insurance on average can be purchased through Geico.
What information is needed to get car insurance in Hawaii?
To start your search for car insurance, you’ll need to give the insurance agent your age, address, make and model of your vehicle, annual mileage estimate and driving record.
What factors can make my car insurance premium more expensive?
Many factors can impact the amount you pay for your car insurance premium. For example, young drivers and drivers who have more than one automobile accident on their records face much stiffer insurance costs.
Do I have to be insured to drive in Hawaii?
Yes, Hawaii prohibits anyone from operating a motor vehicle that is uninsured.