The Sooner State is home to about 2.5 million licensed drivers in Oklahoma. The average cost of car insurance in Oklahoma is $423 each year for minimum coverage or $1,873 per year for full coverage. It’s less than the national average cost of car insurance, which costs $565 per year for a minimum coverage policy, while a full coverage policy averages $1,674 each year.
While it is cheaper than the average cost of car insurance in the U.S., it is the third-most dangerous state in the U.S. for car insurance, thanks to Oklahoma’s many hazards that include tornadoes, floods, snow and wildfires.
With so many hazards on the road, it’s critical that drivers are able to protect themselves with the right coverage at the best price. To find the cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma, our methodological research compares coverage options, in addition to price, availability, accessibility, customer satisfaction and financial reliability.
The cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma
The average cost of car insurance in Oklahoma is $390 each year for minimum coverage or $1,878 per year for full coverage. It’s almost $200 less than the national average cost of car insurance, which costs $563 per year for a minimum coverage policy, while a full coverage policy averages $1,738 each year.
With our picks for the cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma, it’s possible to spend even less on your car insurance.
|Car insurance company||Average annual premium for minimum coverage||Average annual premium for full coverage|
Geico is one of the larger auto insurance providers in the country, offering easy online quotes. Policyholders can also benefit from a top-rated mobile app, 24/7 customer service, and in-person support at three Oklahoma locations that include Lawton, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. There is also emergency roadside assistance and rental car insurance with the option to earn extra discounts when you bundle other policies with Geico, like its motorcycle insurance, boat insurance, RV insurance, and classic car insurance. In addition to its many other discounts, Geico offers a search tool to find special discounts based on your military, federal employee, medical, professional, or educational affiliation.
USAA offers a 10% discount when you bundle your homeowners insurance or renters insurance. There are also discounts based on your driving and car, in addition to membership-based savings like family and loyalty discounts. USAA offers all the basic car insurance protections, plus the option for expanded coverage to include emergency roadside assistance and personal injury protection (PIP). However, to benefit from USAA’s low rates and award-winning customer service, you have to be active-duty military, a veteran or a family member.
State Farm gives you plenty of ways to save money on your car insurance with programs like Drive Safe & Save and Steer Clear, which help make it one of the cheapest car insurance companies in Oklahoma. Plus, State Farm is especially welcoming to teen drivers and college students, offering up to 25% off auto insurance premiums when you get good grades. There are also extended coverage options, such as rental car coverage and rideshare insurance. If you prefer one-on-one support, there are local agents available and a convenient mobile app if you prefer to manage your policy yourself.
Farmers Insurance is the best choice when you need specialized coverage. It is upfront about the fact that it does not offer gap insurance, but there is a whole suite of extra protections like personal injury protection (PIP), loss of use, customized equipment, accident forgiveness, new car replacement coverage and its Guaranteed Value™ program. When you download the Signal app, you can save up to 30% off your premium with safe driving habits.
Mercury is a smaller insurance provider, servicing just a handful of states, including Oklahoma. There are plenty of ways to save on your Mercury car insurance, especially when you use its RealDrive® to track how many miles you drive. In addition to payment and bundle discounts, Mercury also offers savings for your policy like an auto pay discount, a pay-in-full discount, and an e-signature discount when you sign your policy online. Coverage options include PIP and rental car coverage with optional roadside assistance and ride-hailing coverage that starts at less than $1 a day.
Affordable coverage for Oklahoma drivers
Oklahoma drivers are required to maintain a minimum amount of car insurance in order to legally operate a vehicle in the state.
This includes the following required minimum coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $25,000
- Bodily injury liability coverage per accident: $50,000
- Property damage liability coverage: $25,000
To help keep costs low, drivers have the option to reject the following car insurance coverage in writing:
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person: $25,000 per person
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident: $50,000
However, it’s always recommended that drivers purchase enough coverage to adequately protect themselves, their vehicle, their belongings and any other parties who may be involved in the accident.
How to get cheap car insurance in Oklahoma
Before you purchase your next car insurance policy, consider these tips to help you find cheap car insurance in Oklahoma:
- Shop around: Where you live is one rate factor that impacts the cost of your car insurance. The best cheap car insurance in Tulsa may be different than the cheapest car insurance in other parts of Oklahoma.
- Compare providers: Every insurance company is different when it comes to things like policy offerings, pricing, and even the areas they service. Before deciding on the cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma, compare each quote to see which company best suits your needs.
- Take advantage of discounts: There are many ways to save on your car insurance policy, especially when you pair your auto insurance policy with a policy from one of the best home insurance companies in Oklahoma. In addition to bundle discounts, consider other discounts like vehicle safety discounts, safe driving discounts, and discounts for low mileage.
- Work on your credit score: One factor that insurance companies use to calculate the price of your car insurance is your credit score. When you have a good credit score, insurance companies may see you as less of a risk because you are more likely to make your payments on-time.
- Increase your deductible: Another way to save money on your car insurance is to increase your deductible. It can lower the amount of money you pay each month for your insurance premium, but you will have to pay more upfront when you report a loss.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best car insurance in Oklahoma?
The cheapest car insurance in Oklahoma for one driver may be different for another, as pricing is based on a combination of unique factors like the car you drive and your driver history.
What is the average cost of car insurance in the U.S.?
Is car insurance required in Oklahoma?
All drivers in Oklahoma are required to maintain a minimum amount of car insurance, which includes bodily injury liability coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident and property damage liability coverage of $25,000.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.