The Capital One Refer a Friend program gives you the chance to earn up to $500 each year just by referring people you know to Capital One. Here’s what you need to know about the program.
What is Capital One Refer a Friend?
Capital One Refer a Friend is Capital One’s referral program for its credit cards. It rewards current cardholders for telling their friends and family (and even total strangers, if you feel like it) about Capital One. If your friend signs up (and in the case of credit cards, is approved), you’ll get a bonus. Note that only new cardholders are eligible, so if your friend already has a card open with Capital One, they aren’t eligible.
How does the Capital One Card referral program work?
To refer someone you know, you’ll send them a unique link that they can use to sign up for the card. It will redirect them to the application.
Here’s how you find the link:
- Sign in to your Capital One account and find your account summary page.
- Select the option that says, “I Want To” which gives you a list of options to choose from.
- Click “Refer and Friend” from the list and your account-specific link will appear.
- Send your link to your friends.
If they apply and are approved, you get a referral bonus. However, if they don’t use your referral link to apply, you won’t earn a reward—even if you were the one who told them all about it. You’ll also only earn the referral bonus if they apply for a card you currently have.
How much is the bonus?
The bonus amount varies by card, but the referral bonuses are limited to $500 (or 50,000 miles) per year. Capital One doesn’t put a limit on how many times you use Refer a Friend, but once you reach the $500 limit, you will no longer be rewarded for referrals.
When do I receive the bonus?
It can take some time for your reward to hit your account. It can take up to eight weeks to receive your rewards.
Who is eligible for Capital One Refer a Friend?
You have to have a Capital One credit card in good standing in order to participate in the refer a friend program. So if your account is in default, you won’t have the option to share a referral link. Also, only certain Capital One cards are eligible:
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card: This is a cash back card earning 1.5x on all purchases. It has a 0 percent intro APR offer for 15 months (and a variable APR of 15.49 percent to 25.49 percent thereafter) and no annual fee.
- Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: This cash back card earns 1.5x on all purchases and comes with a $39 annual fee.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: This travel credit card earns 2x miles per dollar on every purchase. It has a $95 annual fee and comes with perks like a TSA Precheck credit and no foreign transaction fees.
- Capital One VentureOne Credit Card: This card earns 1.25x miles for every purchase and has no annual fee. It also offers a 0 percent intro APR offer for the first 12 months (15.49 percent to 25.49 percent variable APR after that).
- Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card: This cash back card earns 4 percent back on dining and entertainment, 2 percent at grocery stores and 1 percent on all other purchases. It has a $95 annual fee.
- Capital One SavorOne Credit Card: This no annual fee card earns unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart® and Target®), plus 1% on all other purchases. It has a 0 percent intro APR on purchases offer for the first 15 months (15.49 percent – 25.49 percent variable APR after that).
- Capital One Platinum Credit Card: This fair-credit card doesn’t charge any annual fees or foreign transaction fees.
- Capital One® Secured Mastercard®: This secured card doesn’t come with any rewards, but it is a solid tool for building credit.
The bottom line
Capital One Refer a Friend is a great way to maximize your credit card rewards while sharing your great experiences with friends. You’ll have to make sure your specific credit card is eligible for the program before you can participate. Once you share your referral link with someone who is not currently a Capital One customer, they’ll need to use the link to sign up for a card that you have already for you to earn the $100 referral bonus.