Dear Tax Talk,
It’s going on nearly 2 years since I filed my taxes in 2015. I didn’t receive my check due to identity theft. I did all they asked. I filled out an identity theft affidavit, called when I was supposed to, waited patiently for the time to clear. I was told 7-9 times that my check was going to be released now. I called today and still was told, “Wait another month.” What should I do?
— Ashley

Hinterhaus Productions/Getty Images

Dear Ashley,
Because you have tried contacting the IRS numerous times and still have not resolved the issue regarding your refund, you should contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service, or TAS, which is an independent organization within the IRS that can help you.

Identity theft is a major issue, and the IRS is committed to instituting safeguards to protect taxpayers. In the meantime, you want your refund.

The TAS is available for all taxpayers who have tried to resolve tax issues and experienced long delays, or who have economic hardship and need assistance. The TAS has offices in every state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. You can call the toll free intake line at 1-877-777-4778 and a tax advocate will assist you.

Information that the tax advocate will need:

When you call, be prepared to give the advocate the following information:

  1. Your name, address and Social Security number.
  2. Your phone number and best time to call.
  3. The type of tax return and tax year involved.
  4. A description of your issue and what you have done to resolve the matter with the IRS.

Once your case has been accepted, you will be assigned a tax advocate who will assist you and stay in contact with you until your case is resolved. The advocate will provide his or her name, phone number and a time line for resolving the issue. You will even get updates on the advocate’s progress.

I have worked with them a number of times and found them to be a great resource and always a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks for the great question, and all the best to you in getting that refund issue resolved quickly.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question on Tax Talk, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select “Taxes” as the topic. Read more Tax Talk columns.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Taxpayers should seek professional advice based on their particular circumstances.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.