Dear Tax Talk,
My mom is 63 years old and my dad passed away six years ago. Mom is currently receiving Social Security survivors benefits and Medicare. She does not work and has no income. I am currently supporting her throughout the year. Will I be able to claim Mom as a dependent?

The most important thing is: Will she stop receiving her Social Security or Medicare benefits if I claim her as a dependent on my taxes?
— Jay

Dear Jay,
Your mother is fortunate to have you as her son. As your mother, she is considered to be a qualifying relative and does not even have to live with you in order for you to claim the exemption. If she had gross income over $3,900, then you would not be able to claim her. But fortunately for you, her Social Security income is not included in the $3,900 gross income test.

However, there is one more hurdle for you: That is, you are going to have to determine if you pay more than one-half of her total support for the year. If you do, then yes, you will be able to claim her as a dependent. Her total support includes housing, food, utilities, clothing, travel and recreation, medical and dental expenses.

Her Social Security and Medicare benefits should not be affected if you claim her.

Thanks for the question.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question on Tax Talk, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select “Taxes” as the topic. Read more Tax Talk columns.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Taxpayers should seek professional advice based on their particular circumstances.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.