Fundbox business loans: 2023 review
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
At a glance
|Overview||Founded in 2013, Fundbox helps small business owners access the credit needed to move their companies forward. It currently offers a flexible business line of credit to fair credit borrowers in all 50 states and U.S. territories.|
|Amortized weekly fee from:||4.66%|
|Term lengths:||12 or 24 weeks|
|Minimum credit score:||600|
Who Fundbox is best for
Who Fundbox may not be best for
Fundbox pros and cons
Accessible to borrowers with lower credit scores
Soft credit check upon application
Next-day funding available
No prepayment penalties
Requires personal guarantee
Low maximum loan limit
Short repayment periods
Business line of credit
The business line of credit from Fundbox is unsecured and provides access to working capital of up to $150,000. You can access funds as needed through Fundbox’s website or app and select a flexible repayment plan that works for your company’s finances. You’ll pay a weekly fee instead of interest as long as there’s an outstanding balance. Or you can minimize or avoid borrowing costs if you repay early.
Fundbox charges a $6 nonsufficient funds fee.
Do you qualify?
Here’s what you’ll need to qualify for a line of credit from Fundbox:
- A U.S.-based business that’s been established for at least six months
- An ownership stake of at least 25 percent
- A personal FICO score of 600 or higher
- At least $100,000 in annual revenue
- An active business checking account with at least three months of transaction history
You should also know that Fundbox does not fund companies in adult entertainment, online gaming, online gambling, marijuana, firearms, ammunition, nonprofit or financial sectors.
What we like and what we don’t like
Fundbox makes it easy for both startups and established business owners to access working capital.
What we like
- Accessible to borrowers with lower credit scores: The minimum credit score requirement is just 600 to qualify for funding.
- Soft credit check upon application: You can check your approval odds without impacting your credit score. After approval, Fundbox will conduct a hard credit pull when you first use your credit.
- Next-day funding available: Most applicants receive a lending decision in as soon as three minutes, and if approved, funds are often accessible as soon as the next business day.
- No prepayment penalties: Fundbox does not charge early repayment penalties if you repay the balance before the loan term ends. In fact, it waives any remaining fees for the rest of the loan term.
What we don't like
- Requires personal guarantee: Borrowers must provide a personal guarantee, which is a promise to repay the loan if they default. If you fail to repay, Fundbox could sue you for your personal assets.
- Low maximum loan limit: The limit of $150,000 may not be large enough for companies looking to make large purchases or significant investments.
- Short repayment periods: You'll have to repay each draw within 24 weeks at the most. If your cash flow is inconsistent and you borrowed a large amount, keeping up with weekly payments could be a challenge.
How to apply for a loan with Fundbox
When you’re ready to apply for funding, visit the website and select the “Apply” button found on the right header. You’ll need to provide at least one of the following:
- Access to accounting software or business checking account
- Copy of most recent tax return (if you’re not using one of the above options)
- Authorization for a soft credit pull
Customer support is available by phone and email Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Call 855-572-7707 or send an inquiry to email@example.com.
How Bankrate rates Fundbox
Overall Score 4.5 Accessibility 4.6 Though Fundbox’s max amount could be higher, they get points for fast funding and a low minimum amount. Affordability 4.4 Fundbox’s starting rate is reasonable, though its weekly fees make comparison with other lenders tricky. Transparency 4.4 Fundbox discloses its eligibility requirements, though it doesn’t report payments to credit bureaus. Customer experience 4.6 This lender gets points for its highly rated app and its online application. Flexibility 4.6 Fundbox’s website mentions term loans but it’s unclear whether they’re available yet.
To select the top small business lenders, Bankrate considers more than 20 factors. These factors include loan amounts, approval and funding times, credit requirements, APR or factor rate ranges, fees, and easy-to-find rate and fee disclosures. Bankrate reviewed more than 20 lenders and gave each a rating, which consists of five categories:
- Accessibility: Factors considered in this category include minimum loan amounts, approval and funding speed, minimum annual revenue and minimum credit score.
- Affordability: This section measures interest or factor rates and fees.
- Transparency: How easy it is to find important rates, fees and eligibility requirements are considered in this category.
- Customer experience: Customer service hours, online applications and app availability are considered in this category.
- Flexibility: This category considers factors like the number of loan products and ability to change payment due date.
Editorial disclosure: All reviews are prepared by Bankrate.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the lender’s website for the most current information.On This Page