Average home insurance rates in Stockton are $924 per year for $250,000 in dwelling coverage. Considering that some of California’s most expensive cities (Sacramento, San Francisco and San Jose) are roughly within 60 miles of Stockton, home insurance rates are comparatively cheap. However, property values in the Central Valley city have increased by over 13% in one year for a current median value of $368,007. Finding ways to lower homeowners insurance premiums in Stockton could offset the rising cost of housing.
Bankrate collected homeowners quotes from multiple home insurance companies. Combined with our research into a provider’s customer reviews, coverage options and discounts available, we were able to select the five best carriers for cheap home insurance in Stockton.
Best cheap home insurance companies Stockton
California has plenty of home insurance companies to choose from, including some that are headquartered in the state, such as Mercury Insurance and CSAA Insurance Group. To narrow down dozens of providers to five, we searched for the cheapest home insurance rates from companies that receive positive customer reviews.
J.D. Power’s annual independent study is a good source for customer ratings. The company collects responses from policyholders to score a carrier on communication, claims process and product offerings to gauge customer satisfaction. The following five carriers provide affordable home insurance rates in Stockton while still managing to provide highly rated customer service.
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
California-based Mercury insurance is best-known for its no-frills, low-cost coverages for vehicles and homes. Its rates are the lowest for Stockton homeowners in search of home insurance on a budget. Besides the standard HO-3 coverage, Mercury’s add-ons can further expand your home insurance. Optional service line protection pays for the repair of damages to underground electric, phone, internet, water, gas and sewer service lines. Mercury also offers coverage similar to home warranty protection that repairs or replaces your home systems such as HVAC, appliances and electronics.
USAA comes in close behind Mercury insurance with home insurance rates that are just $33 higher per year. However, not everyone can access its members-only insurance products. USAA is reserved for veterans, military personnel and eligible family members. If you happen to qualify, the low home insurance rate includes a valuable freebie — replacement cost coverage, which replaces your home’s belongings with new versions.
Progressive home insurance is a great option for Stockton residents. You may be able to beat the average rates of $611 per year for home insurance if you bundle it with vehicle coverage. Progressive claims that new customers will save more than 20% (on average) when they bundle home and auto insurance. Looking into the accuracy of Progressive’s claim is simple — getting an online quote for car and home insurance takes just a few minutes of your time.
State Farm’s biggest strength may be the availability of local Stockton agents. There are 13 licensed State Farm agents and offices in the city, ready to help you with your home insurance needs, such as ensuring that filing a claim is a smooth and efficient process. Although you have access to local State Farm agents, the mobile app and website are well designed. You can manage your policies, make payments and file claims 24/7.
Travelers insurance may not be the cheapest home insurance company on the list, but it is still worth considering. Travelers has the most optional home insurance coverages. You can upgrade your Stockton homeowners insurance policy with options including green coverage to repair or replace items with green versions, replacement cost coverage that reimburses you for new versions of lost or damaged items and water backup/sump pump overflow that pays for losses caused by water damage.
Other Stockton home insurance coverages to consider
Home insurance is not mandatory in California. However, a home that is lost after a wildfire could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace. Annual home insurance premiums are far cheaper and provide you with peace of mind knowing you are financially protected if your home or belongings are lost. With that in mind, homeowners insurance may be a small hedge against disaster. Additional coverages that could be a lifesaver in Stockton include:
- Green coverage: Energy costs in the area are 80% higher than the national average. Replacing your home’s systems or structures with energy-efficient versions could save you money in the long run.
- Earthquake insurance: There has not been a major earthquake recorded in the Stockton area in decades. However, California may be due for one at any time. A homeowners insurance policy does not cover your property if it is damaged from a seismic event. Affordable earthquake insurance is available from the California Earthquake Authority.
- Flood insurance: All new buildings and construction in Stockton must comply with flood zone regulations. Flooding is not covered in your standard home insurance plan. You would need to add the coverage to your policy.
Home insurance discounts in Stockton
You may be able to beat Bankrate’s average homeowners insurance rates in Stockton by taking advantage of discounts offered by most carriers. Some of the most significant discounts include:
- Green home discounts: If your home is LEED-certified or built with energy-efficient materials, you could get a reduction in your premiums.
- Bundling: The average Stockton homeowner has two vehicles per household. Bundling your home insurance with your car policies could save you money on both.
- Protective devices: A home security system, carbon monoxide detector, smoke alarm or water/flood sensor all add a layer of safety to your home. You could earn a discount for any or all of the protective devices mentioned.
- Fire resistance: If your home and roof were built to provide some fire resistance, you could receive a discount on home insurance premiums.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
Our findings for best home insurance Stockton based on rates and customer ratings are Mercury Insurance, USAA, Progressive, State Farm and Travelers. To find the best carrier for your needs and budget, collect quotes from several insurance companies to compare.
How much does home insurance in Stockton cost?
According to Bankrate research, average home insurance Stockton rates are $924 per year for $250,000 in dwelling coverage, which amounts to $77 per month.
How much home insurance do I need in Stockton?
Homeowners insurance is not mandatory in Stockton, California. However, your lender may require you to have an HO-3 policy, which is the minimum amount of coverage they may be willing to accept.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.