Home insurance in Fontana protects your finances if your house and personal belongings are damaged by things like extreme weather, vandalism, falling objects and more. It also covers your liabilities as a homeowner. The average cost of home insurance in Fontana is $1,120 per year for a policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage.
Fontana homeowners face several risks, including wildfires and earthquakes. Six of the most expensive earthquakes in the United States between 1980 and 2020 occurred in California. There are dozens of California home insurance companies, so we did some research to find some of the best ones based on price, coverage options, discounts and more.
Best cheap home insurance companies in Fontana
Based on our research, some of the best home insurance companies in Fontana are USAA, Mercury, State Farm, Progressive and Nationwide. These providers stand out for offering below-average premiums, reliable coverage options, generous discounts and good third-party ratings for overall customer satisfaction and financial strength.
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250k dwelling coverage||J.D. Power Home Insurance Study score|
*USAA is not officially ranked by J.D. Power due to eligibility restrictions.
USAA is one of the highest-rated insurance companies on the market. However, you must be affiliated with the military to get home insurance through USAA. Fontana homeowners who qualify for USAA can take advantage of the company’s exceptionally low rates, great customer service and comprehensive coverage.
Every USAA home insurance policy includes identity theft insurance and military uniform coverage. Additionally, USAA automatically covers personal belongings at their replacement cost value. In terms of discounts, you can save money on USAA home insurance by bundling your policies, being claim-free or having a home security system.
Learn more: USAA Insurance Review
Mercury is a Los Angeles-based insurance company, so they understand the unique risks that Fontana homeowners face. Mercury offers affordable home insurance coverage, with an average premium of just $588 per year. In addition, the company provides a few endorsements for added protection and a long list of discounts.
With Mercury, you can customize your policy by adding identity theft insurance, valuables coverage or extended replacement cost coverage, which provides up to 150% of your dwelling insurance coverage limit to rebuild your home after a covered loss. You can also save money with Mercury by bundling your policies, living in a gated community, having a home built with fire-resistant materials and more.
Learn more: Mercury Insurance Review
State Farm is the largest home insurance company in the country, with almost 18% of the total market share. The company is known for having reliable coverage options and low rates. The average State Farm premium in Fontana is $778 per year, and you can save money by bundling your policies, having an impact-resistant roof or having a home security system.
Another reason why State Farm might be a good option for homeowners in Fontana is that the company has great online resources that can help you decide how much insurance and what types of coverage you might need if you are shopping for home insurance for the first time.
Learn more: State Farm Insurance Review
Progressive is one of the best home insurance companies on our list for Fontana homeowners who want to take advantage of discounts. Progressive offers standard savings for policy bundling and having protective devices in your home, but there are also discounts for getting a quote in advance, enrolling in paperless billing, paying your premium in full and insuring a new home.
In terms of coverage options, the only endorsements that Progressive sells are water back/sump pump coverage and personal injury coverage. However, one of the unique advantages of Progressive is that it works with a nationwide contractor network, which can help you find professional repair services at a more affordable price after a claim.
Learn more: Progressive Insurance Review
Nationwide is the most expensive provider we reviewed, but the company’s average home insurance rates are still cheaper than the average premium in Fontana. Plus, Nationwide offers lots of great discounts, with savings for having protective devices installed in your home, being claims-free, having a recently renovated home, living in a gated community, having prior insurance and many others.
Nationwide might be a good option for Fontana homeowners who want to customize their home insurance policy with endorsements. For example, you can purchase water backup/sump pump coverage, valuables coverage, replacement cost coverage, flood insurance, earthquake insurance and identity theft insurance.
Learn more: Nationwide Insurance Review
Home insurance coverage options in Fontana
Standard home insurance policies cover many of the common perils that Fontana homeowners face. However, there are certain perils that are not always covered. To fill gaps in your coverage, you might consider purchasing optional coverages for more protection. Keep in mind that these coverages are not required in all circumstances, but they can provide additional peace of mind. Here are some optional home insurance coverages that can be beneficial for Fontana homeowners:
- Earthquake insurance: Regular home insurance policies rarely cover earthquakes, so having a separate earthquake insurance policy could be important. It covers the structure of your home and your personal belongings if they get damaged or destroyed in an earthquake.
- Flood insurance: Flooding is not covered by standard home insurance policies. To protect your home and personal belongings against flood damage from storm surges, flash floods or heavy rains, you will need a standalone flood insurance policy, which can be purchased through some insurance companies or the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Valuable items insurance: If you keep valuable items in your home, like fine art, jewelry or collections, consider getting scheduled personal property coverage. Under a standard home insurance policy, valuable items are typically covered at a low limit, and it may not be enough to fully cover your most expensive items.
Home insurance discounts in Fontana
Most home insurance companies in Fontana offer discounts that might help you get a lower premium. When you are comparing home insurance providers, pay close attention to companies that have multiple discounts available. Here are some of the common discounts that are available in Fontana:
- Claim-free discount: Homeowners who have no recent insurance claims on their record for a certain period may qualify for a discount on their home insurance policy. This type of discount is typically only available if you have also been a customer of that insurance company for a certain period.
- Protective device discount: If you have protective devices in your home like a security system or fire alarms, many insurance companies will give you a lower rate.
- New home discount: Insuring a newly constructed home can sometimes help you get a more affordable insurance rate.
- Policy bundling discount: Many insurance companies offer a generous discount if you insure your home and your vehicle with the same provider. Bundling discounts are sometimes available with other types of insurance as well.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
The best home insurance company is different for every homeowner. It depends on your budget, where you live, what type of coverage you want and which discounts you can qualify for. Based on Bankrate’s research, some of the highest-rated companies are USAA, Lemonade, Travelers and MetLife, but another provider may work better for your specific needs.
How much does home insurance in Fontana cost?
In Fontana, the average cost of home insurance is $1,120 per year for a policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage. However, every homeowner pays a different rate based on their ZIP code, age and condition of the home, claim history, policy limits, deductible and more.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.