The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate, we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. To help readers understand how insurance affects their finances, we have licensed insurance professionals on staff who have spent a combined 47 years in the auto, home and life insurance industries. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation of . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
El Paso, Texas is one of the largest cities in the Lonestar State, with a population of 681,000 and a homeownership rate of 57.5%, which is lower than the national average of 63.9%. The average cost of home insurance in El Paso is $1,119 per year for a policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage. Average rates in El Paso are lower than the Texas average of $1,860.
If you are shopping for home insurance in El Paso, it is important to know that home insurance rates vary based on several factors, including the insurance company you choose. We did some research to find the best cheap home insurance in El Paso based on price, discounts and coverage options.
Best home insurance companies in El Paso
The best home insurance companies in El Paso, Texas, based on our criteria, are Nationwide, Chubb, Travelers, Progressive and USAA. These carriers stand out for offering below-average rates, excellent discounts, reliable coverage and good financial strength.
|Home insurance company||Bankrate Score||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling coverage||J.D. Power score|
|American Family||4.0||$1,169||890 /1,000|
Based on our sample quotes, Nationwide offers the cheapest home insurance in El Paso out of the providers in this list, with an average annual premium of $814. Not only does Nationwide provide affordable rates, but the company has lots of discounts. There are savings for being claims-free, having a new roof, insuring a new home, renovating your home and living in a gated community.
Additionally, Nationwide might be a good fit for any homeowner who wants to customize their policy with endorsements. The carrier offers various optional coverages, including earthquake insurance, flood insurance, replacement cost plus coverage, better roof replacement coverage, credit card coverage and a few others.
Learn more: Nationwide Insurance review
Travelers is a solid home insurance company across the board, with affordable rates, good discounts and a wide range of endorsements for enhanced protection. In El Paso, the average Travelers home insurance premium is $1,070 per year, which is slightly cheaper than the citywide average rate.
In terms of coverage, you can design a fully customized policy with endorsements like water backup/sump pump coverage, contents replacement cost coverage, green home coverage, special personal property coverage, identity fraud coverage and more. Travelers also offers a handful of discounts for policy savings.
Learn more: Travelers Insurance review
American Family offers the standard coverages you would expect from a homeowners insurance policy, but the policy customization options help set it apart from the competition. American Family offers a number of specialty coverage options, such as sump pump and water backup, equipment breakdown and matching siding protection, to customers who need these types of coverages.
The provider also offers a number of discounts that may help save on the cost of your policy, including a discount for bundling and renovated homes. It also offers a convenient mobile app. While the app is geared primarily toward auto insurance policyholders, you can still manage your homeowners policy online or through your local agent.
Learn more: American Family insurance review
USAA is highly rated by J.D. Power for overall customer satisfaction year after year, and it has a reputation for offering top-notch customer service. The caveat is that you must be an active duty or retired military service member to qualify for coverage through USAA.
El Paso homeowners eligible for USAA home insurance can get access to low rates, reliable coverage options and several discounts. If you are deployed or on active duty, USAA will also cover your military uniform in the event of a qualifying loss.
Learn more: USAA Insurance review
Chubb specializes in insurance for high-value homes, so it is probably a better option for El Paso homeowners who need at least $1 million in coverage. Chubb customers can take advantage of unique member perks, excellent customer service and comprehensive coverages without paying a huge premium.
Every Chubb Masterpiece® Homeowners policy includes extended replacement cost coverage, risk consulting services and a cash settlement option. The company also offers free services to protect your home, like a wildfire defense assessment. Unfortunately, Chubb does not offer many discounts, but you can save money by bundling your home and auto policy.
Learn more: Chubb Insurance review
Home insurance coverage options in El Paso
Unlike auto insurance, homeowners insurance in El Paso is not legally required. However, many lenders will require you to have home insurance as part of your loan terms if you have a mortgage.
Regardless of your situation, having a home insurance policy is usually a good idea. Homeowners coverage offers financial and legal peace of mind in the event of potential losses, like theft, fire, and guest injuries. Here are some coverage options that can benefit homeowners in El Paso:
- Flood insurance: Although hurricanes are uncommon in El Paso, major flooding can occur, so having flood insurance could be critical. Standard home insurance policies usually exclude coverage for flood damage, but you can buy a standalone flood insurance policy from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Earthquake insurance: El Paso is located near the East Franklin Mountain Fault, a potential earthquake site. Home insurance rarely covers earthquake damage, so you may need to purchase a separate earthquake insurance policy or endorsement to protect your home and personal items from earthquake damage.
- Contents replacement cost coverage: Standard personal property coverage will pay to replace your personal items after a covered loss, but depreciation is factored into your payout. With contents replacement cost coverage, you can get reimbursed for the total value of your belongings at their original price.
Home insurance discounts in El Paso
If you are looking for cheap home insurance in El Paso, Texas, look for discounts offered by insurance companies. The more discounts you can take advantage of, the more money you can save on your policy. Here are some popular home insurance discounts that El Paso homeowners should consider:
- Claims-free discount: Homeowners who have no prior insurance claims on their record within the last several years can usually qualify for a lower rate.
- Automatic payment discount: If you enroll in automatic payments rather than making one-time monthly payments, some insurance companies will lower your rate.
- New construction: If your home was constructed within the last two years, many insurance providers will offer a discount for new construction homes.
- New roof: If you have purchased a new roof for your property and paid for the replacement out of your own pocket, you may qualify for a new roof discount.
Frequently asked questions
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.
Rates are determined based on 2021 Quadrant Information Services data.