The Rocky Plains can make for a treacherous terrain, especially in severe weather. In 2017, Wyoming had 422,465 licensed drivers, and together they have made Wyoming the second most dangerous place to drive.
That changes the price of car insurance, so more drivers are looking for the cheapest Wyoming car insurance with the best coverage.
When shopping for new car insurance, there are some factors to consider before making a decision.
- Read reviews: Sometimes viewing a company through a customer’s eyes is the best way to assess how reliable a company will be with your auto insurance.
- Check a company’s ratings: Start with ratings like the ones we offer below from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), AM Best and J.D. Power.
- Get the mandatory coverage: Make sure your policy meets the minimum insurance requirements for Wyoming.
- Save on your policy: Look for exclusive discounts and savings programs. It could make the difference in determining the cheapest car insurance Wyoming has available.
- Take your time: Research the details of a company. Consider other things beyond price, such as how long it takes them to process a claim.
Best car insurance companies in Wyoming
These are the best options for the cheapest car insurance companies available for Wyoming residents:
- Geico: Geico is known for having inexpensive ratings that can help you save on car insurance. The many discount options, such as for good students or people with multiple policies, can lower rates even further for Wyoming drivers.
- Safeco: Safeco isn’t known for high marks in customer service, but it has a wide range of coverage options like rideshare insurance and new car replacement that makes this company a winner for some drivers.
- State Farm: State Farm is a large insurance company with lots of agents, so it’s easy to find someone to talk to about your insurance policy when you need to. The company offers a variety of discounts and insurance options for almost anything you’d need including boats, RVs and motorcycles.
- USAA: USAA serves members of the military. For those eligible, USAA offers some of the lowest available rates in car insurance and several financial products.
Some companies are better than others when it comes to Wyoming’s cheapest car insurance companies.
Rankings for cheapest car insurance companies – Washington, D.C.
|Company||J.D. Power||AM Best||BBB|
|USAA||5 out of 5||A++ (Superior)||F|
|Safeco||3 out of 5||A (Excellent)||A|
|Geico||3 out of 5||A++ (Superior)||A+|
|State Farm||3 out of 5||A++ (Superior)||A+|
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Wyoming for you
Prices can vary depending on your lifestyle. There are key factors, such as where you live and the car you drive. Your driving record is essential, too, because your past history allows insurance companies to assess whether you are a high-risk driver.
Cheapest Wyoming car insurance for drivers with low mileage: State Farm
Driving less has its rewards with State Farm because it can provide the biggest price breaks for low mileage each year.
Cheapest Wyoming car insurance for military members: USAA
USAA has long been known for its dedication to its military-only membership, offering expansive coverage, low rates and exceptional customer service.
Cheapest Wyoming car insurance for flexible coverage: Safeco
Not all needs are the same, so Safeco provides affordable, unique coverage to address a number of special situations.
Cheapest Wyoming car insurance for minimum coverage: Geico
Geico is great on a budget, offering some of the most affordable rates for minimum coverage on your auto policy.
These are the average annual premiums for the cheapest companies for liability coverage:
- USAA: $637
- Safeco: $927
- Geico: $998
- State Farm: $1,033
Average cost of car insurance in Wyoming
Our research proves that insurance rates change significantly depending on things like your driving record and credit score. There are still plenty of companies that will ensure you no matter what your file says.
This is the cheapest car insurance Wyoming permits:
|Driver history||Average annual premium|
Car insurance discounts in Wyoming
Most companies offer special savings if you bundle your policies like your auto and homeowners insurance or you insure multiple vehicles.
USAA offers competitive discounts for its members like:
- Special manufacturer discounts through exclusive partnerships with leading brands, such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Ram, Jeep and Dodge.
- Military installation discount of up to 15% off premiums for vehicles stored on a military base.
- Family discounts of up to 10% off auto policies for parents and children.
Safeco’s members enjoy special perks like:
- Safety rewards for the whole family, with special teen safety discounts for safe driving.
- Homeowner discounts mean that if you own your home, you can receive a discount on your Safeco auto policy.
- Low mileage discounts can discount up to 20% off you auto policy if you don’t drive often
Your Geico car insurance could be eligible for exclusive discounts like:
- Emergency deployment discounts of up to 25% for service members.
- Federal employee discounts through the eagle program, which can take up to 15% off your total premium.
- Special employee memberships allow discounts from partnered businesses to receive additional savings on their auto policies
A State Farm auto policy can benefit from:
- Drive Safe & SaveTM discounts, which communicate with your vehicle’s OnStar® system to identify safe driving.
- The Steer Clear® program, allowing younger drivers with a clean driving record to receive extra discounts on their policies.
- Passive restraint discounts, which can reduce your auto policy by up to 40% if your car is from 1993 or older with a passive restraint system installed.
State minimum insurance requirements in Wyoming
If you have an accident, there are certain repairs and medical bills that could cost thousands of dollars. By insuring yourself with a reliable insurance company, an insurance claim can provide the protection you need.
Many states require minimum coverage for your auto policy, and Wyoming is no different. The state follows the typical minimum insurance requirements as follows:
- $25,000 Bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 Bodily injury liability per accident
- $20,000 Property damage liability per accident
Drivers are also required to have uninsured motorist coverage in case there is an accident with an uninsured driver. You must have the following coverage:
- $25,000 Bodily injury per person
- $50,000 Bodily injury per accident
- $20,000 Property damage per accident
These are minimums for insurance coverage. More coverage is recommended.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Wyoming?
The cheapest coverage for you depends on your past history and current needs. Car insurance companies need to confirm you are trustworthy, so they know how much of a risk you are. The companies we have included here will be a valuable resource when looking for the cheapest car insurance in Wyoming.
What information is needed to get car insurance in Wyoming?
Insurance companies require you to supply your vehicle details, like the make, model and year of your car. You will also need to furnish personal information like your social security number and address.
What is an SR-22, and do I need one?
An SR-22 requires drivers with serious offenders like those with a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charge. The Safety Responsibility form, or an SR-22, proves that high-risk drivers are compliant with Wyoming’s minimum insurance requirements. The required period is a total of 36 consecutive months.
Why does my age matter for my auto policy?
It has to do with risk. Younger drivers are not as experienced with driving, so they are more likely to get into accidents. There can also be additional discounts for college students away at college and mature drivers, like members of AARP. Ask your car insurance company what extra savings you may gain based on your age.