SR-22 in Oregon

JohnnyGreig/Getty Images
Bankrate Logo

Why you can trust Bankrate

While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . This content is powered by (NPN: 8781838). For more information, please see our

In the state of Oregon, drivers can have their license suspended for having a serious violation on their driving record. In order to get their license reinstated, Oregon drivers must purchase SR-22 insurance. Without it, their driver’s license will remain suspended until they provide proper documentation.

An SR-22 is a certificate that proves the driver carries the minimum liability insurance coverage required in the state. It is not a true form of insurance, but rather a special form of proof of insurance. Having an SR-22 has consequences, and will affect a driver’s insurance rate.

SR-22 insurance in Oregon

Oregon drivers are legally required to purchase an SR-22 if they have certain negative marks on their driving record. SR-22s are also required when a driver loses their license for any reason. Some situations where a driver might need to purchase an SR-22 in Oregon include:

  • Getting charged with a DUI/DWI
  • Getting charged with reckless or negligent driving
  • Having multiple traffic violations in a short period of time
  • Having multiple accidents in a short period of time
  • Getting caught driving without insurance
  • Failing to pay court-ordered child support
  • Causing an accident with fatalities or serious injuries

In some cases, a driver in Oregon will not automatically lose their license after a serious violation. However, they will lose their license if they do not have an SR-22 on file by the required date.

For example, if a driver is caught without car insurance, they are technically required to have an SR-22 starting on the date of conviction. For drivers who lose their license and want to reinstate their driving privileges, the SR-22 requirement starts on the end date of the suspension.

Out-of-state drivers who are convicted of a traffic violation in Oregon are still required to purchase an SR-22 with the state of Oregon. And drivers who need SR-22 insurance but do not own a vehicle are required to purchase non-owners insurance.

The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not disclose how long drivers must have an SR-22 on their record. But in most states, SR-22 insurance stays on a driver’s record for three to five years, depending on the severity of the violation.

Cost of SR-22s in Oregon

The cost of SR-22 insurance in Oregon varies based on the company that issues it. According to Progressive, the cost to file an SR-22 certificate is usually around $25. Unlike standard car insurance, SR-22s are not priced based on age, credit score or claims history.

In addition, drivers who get their license suspended are required to pay a $75 reinstatement fee to the Oregon DMV. The fee is always the same, regardless of the number of suspensions or cancellations a driver has on their record.

Oregon drivers who have an SR-22 should also be prepared to pay higher car insurance premiums. Individuals who are required to purchase an SR-22 or lose their license are automatically put in the high-risk driver category. High-risk drivers are more likely to file insurance claims in the future, so insurance companies charge them more for coverage.

For example, after a DUI, the average driver will see their car insurance rate increase anywhere from $800-$3,000 per year. After a single accident, car insurance rates can increase by $300-$600 per year, on average. Car insurance rates eventually decrease when the SR-22 and the violation are removed from the driver’s record.

Non-owner SR-22s for Oregon drivers

There are some instances where an Oregon driver might need an SR-22 without owning a personal vehicle. For example, if a driver borrows their friend’s car to drive home from a bar, and they get pulled over for a DUI. In this case, the driver would be required to purchase non-owners insurance.

Non-owners insurance provides bodily injury and property damage liability coverage. It covers the driver’s legal and financial responsibility in the event that they cause an accident in a borrowed vehicle. Non-owners insurance can be purchased from insurance companies that specialize in high-risk insurance.

Drivers should know that non-owners insurance does not offer any protection for the vehicle they are driving. Non-owners insurance covers liability only. If a driver caused an accident in a borrowed vehicle, they would be responsible for paying for the vehicle’s damages out-of-pocket.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between an SR-22 and an FR-44?

SR-22s and FR-44s are often grouped together, but they are actually two separate documents. SR-22s are issued for high-risk drivers in most states, whereas FR-44s are usually issued in Florida and Virginia only. FR-44 certificates usually require the driver to carry at least $100,000 in liability coverage. With an SR-22, the driver is only required to meet the state’s minimum liability requirement.

How long do I need to have an SR-22?

In Oregon, most drivers will have an SR-22 on their record for three to five years. However, the consequences tend to become more severe after two or more offenses. For instance, after a first offense, it is most likely that a driver will only have an SR-22 on their record for three years. A driver who has multiple strikes on their record is more likely to have an SR-22 for five years.

Does my state require SR-22 insurance?

Most states require SR-22 insurance, with the exception of Florida and Virginia, where FR-44s are required. However, some states do not require SR-22 insurance. Drivers who live in Delaware, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania are not required to purchase SR-22 insurance if their license is suspended.

Written by
Elizabeth Rivelli
Insurance Contributor
Elizabeth has two years of experience writing for insurance domains such as, The Simple Dollar, and NextAdvisor, among others. In addition to auto insurance, Elizabeth regularly writes about home insurance, renters insurance and life insurance. She also covers industry trends and general insurance education.