The AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard comes with a decent welcome offer, intro APR offer on balance transfers, a great rewards rate toward American Airline purchases as well as a nice suite of travel perks.
Welcome bonus: No minimum spending requirement besides annual fee
Earning 50,000 AAdvantage bonus miles couldn’t be easier — just pay your $99 annual fee in full and make a purchase on your AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard within the first 90 days of opening your account. This offer is incredibly generous since even the best airline credit cards on the market require a spending minimum (usually around $2,000) for a comparable number of bonus points or miles.
While there are certainly larger welcome offers around, this one is a top pick because it’s rather easy to earn. And keep in mind that a domestic round-trip award flight with American Airlines can cost as little as 25,000 miles — so this bonus could, in fact, be enough for two domestic round-trip flights if you’re flexible with your travel plans and smart about your redemptions.
Rewards: You can earn a generous amount of AAdvantage miles
As with other co-branded airline credit cards, you’ll earn miles faster by traveling with the airline. Flying American Airlines Purchasing American Airlines tickets will get you 2X AAdvantage miles, but you’ll also earn 1X miles on all other purchases.
Frequent American flyers who spend at least $20,000 on the card each year will also earn an annual Anniversary Companion Certificate. With it, someone can travel with you for just $99 (plus taxes and fees) as long as your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date.
Intro APR: A fairly lengthy offer for balance transfers
Travel rewards credit cards don’t often come with introductory APR offers, which makes the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard even more appealing. You can take advantage of an intro 0 percent APR for 15 billing cycles on balance transfers made within the first 45 days. There’s a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3 percent of the transfer amount, whichever is greater. A variable APR will apply after the introductory period for balance transfers ends.
Cardholder perks: A decent range of travel benefits
American Airlines flyers will love the benefits this card offers, which will make traveling with the airline easier and less expensive when flying American Airlines.
- First checked bag free: You and up to four companions on the same reservation can enjoy one checked bag for free on select domestic American Airlines flights.
- Preferred boarding: You and up to four companions are also eligible to receive preferred boardings on all American Airlines flights.
- In-flight savings: You can get $25 back in statement credits every year for in-flight Wi-Fi purchases on American Airlines, plus save 25 percent on food and beverage purchases on American Airlines flights.
- No foreign transaction fees: You won’t have to pay the standard 3 percent charge on foreign transactions when making purchases overseas with this card.
- Flight Cents: You can fast track your AAdvantage miles by rounding up purchases to the nearest dollar.
- Protection and insurance: By paying for your trip with this card, you could enjoy a host of travel protections, such as trip cancellation and interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance, travel accident insurance and collision and theft insurance on rental cars.
- Earn American Airlines status with your spending: American Airlines’ AAdvantage Program has moved to a new Loyalty Points system. Now it’s possible to earn elite status on American Airlines entirely with your credit card spending.
- Anniversary Companion Certificate: If you spend at least $20,000 on your card and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date, you can receive a Companion Certificate for $99 (plus taxes and fees), which you can use for a domestic economy fare.