Deciding where to stick your savings is tricky.
Savings and money market accounts are highly liquid but usually offer a low rate of return.
Long-term CDs offer better rates. But unless you’re willing to pay a premium for withdrawing your funds early, they’ll be locked in for years. During a period when rates are rising, that could put you at a disadvantage.
An 18-month CD offers the best of both worlds: a higher yield than a standard savings account and a low level of commitment. Here are Bankrate’s picks for the top nationally available 18-month CD rates:
|Kinecta Federal Credit Union||3.00%||$1,000|
|PenFed Credit Union||2.95%||$1,000|
Today’s top nationally available 18-month CDs pay 3.00 percent APY. This may be a good place to invest money for short-term financial obligations, like saving up for a down payment on a house.
Finding the best 18-month CD rates
Finding the best 18-month CD may take some time. Besides the interest rate, you’ll need to compare early withdrawal penalties and minimum deposit requirements. Find out whether you’ll be responsible for any fees.
Here are the top nationally available 18-month CD rates. Compare these offers, then calculate how much interest you would earn when your CD matures.
Top account details
- After more than 60 years of serving customers in Manhattan Beach, California, the Hughes Aircraft Employees Federal Credit Union changed its name in 2001. Today, the institution is known as the Kinecta Federal Credit Union and offers membership to anyone across the country who joins the Consumers Cooperative Society of Santa Monica. The institution earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
- Founded in 1935, Pentagon Federal Credit Union is based in Virginia. It serves more than 1.6 million members in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa, Japan. In the latest review of its financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
- CDBank.com is an online division of TBK Bank. It launched in May 2017 and is based in Dallas, Texas. TBK Bank earned four out of five stars in the latest review of its financial health.
- Limelight Bank is an online bank headquartered in Provo, Utah. It prides itself on being eco-friendly and uses deposits from its customers to make loans for solar energy projects. Deposits are federally insured through Capital Community Bank, which earned five out of five stars in Bankrate’s latest review of its review of its financial health.
- Popular Direct is a subsidiary of Popular Inc., a financial services firm serving the United States, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Popular Direct accounts are opened through Popular Bank, a federally insured institution that earned three out of five stars in Bankrate’s latest review of its financial health.
An 18-month CD is a low-risk investment. But before you purchase one, it’s important to know what you’re getting yourself into.
Ask if you’ll have to maintain a certain balance to earn the annual percentage yield. While you’re at it, find out how often you’ll receive the interest you’re earning from your bank or credit union. That way, it’ll be easier to hit your savings target or another financial goal.