When you need to insure your most valuable assets, you should take precautions to find the right company. Some newer providers offer services in line with their well-established counterparts. One of them is Stillwater Insurance, an off-shoot of Fidelity National Financial (FNF), a leading finance and mortgage company based in Florida. It was founded in 2000 as Fidelity National Property and Casualty Insurance Group but after several years of acquisitions, the P&C division of FNF was rebranded as Stillwater Insurance Company in 2016.
With offices in Florida, Nebraska and California, Stillwater Insurance Group consists of three companies – Stillwater Insurance Company, Stillwater Insurance Services, Inc and Stillwater Property and Casualty Insurance Company. It sells various lines of insurance, including auto and home, in all 50 states and offers customizable coverage for your individual needs.
Stillwater Car Insurance
Although Stillwater Insurance has been around for only two decades and is considered a fairly new insurance carrier, its car insurance policy offers the necessary options at a decent price. Regardless of your current insurance status, securing your vehicle with Stillwater’s car insurance policy is easy and straightforward.
Types of coverage
Stillwater offers all the usual coverage options, including:
- Liability coverage: Liability coverage protects you against damages caused to other vehicles, people or property due to an at-fault accident. Most states require minimum levels of liability coverage.
- Collision coverage: This coverage pays for expenses to your own vehicle if your car is damaged in a collision.
- Comprehensive coverage: This option pays for expenses related to damage caused by theft, vandalism, weather or striking an animal such as a deer. Comprehensive coverage is often called “other than collision” coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection: PIP, as it is known, pays for medical expenses for you and other people in your vehicle after an accident. It is mandatory in some states.
- Rental car insurance: This optional coverage pays for the cost of a rental car if your vehicle is not driveable due to a covered loss.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance coverage pays for service fees, like tows, locksmiths and tire changes.
- Multiple policies: For buying and combining several policies from the company
- Multiple vehicles: For insuring more than one car with Stillwater
- Safety features: For having a car equipped with advanced safety and anti-theft systems
- Being a good driver: For having a clean driving record
- Being a good student: For students who maintain a high GPA level
- Paying in full: For paying your annual premium in a lump sum amount
Stillwater home insurance
Stillwater also offers homeowners insurance policies. Getting coverage for your house is simple and affordable with Stillwater insurance company.
Types of coverage
Stillwater home insurance includes several coverage options, such as:
- Dwelling: Coverage for your house and attached structures if damaged by severe weather, fire or other specified perils
- Other Structures: Coverage for detached structures like a barn or shed
- Personal Property: Coverage for your personal belongings
- Loss of Use: Coverage for living expenses if your house becomes uninhabitable
Additional coverage options include:
- Identity Theft Coverage: Helps pay to restore your personal data after a case of identity theft
- Personal Injury Coverage: Pays for expenses related to slander, libel, detention, false arrest or imprisonment and wrongful eviction
- Replacement Cost Coverage: Pays for rebuilding cost of your house, even if it exceeds the market price
- Water Back-Up: Pays for expenses arising from water damage caused by the backup of a sewer or drain line
Although Stillwater is known for its reasonable rates, it is always good to be able to save money by making use of available discounts. Some of the discounts offered by the company are:
- Claims-free: If you do not file a claim for a certain number of years, your premium is lowered.
- Safety features: You get a discount if your house has safety features like sprinklers, smoke and burglar alarms, storm shutters or a reinforced roof.
- Multiple policies: Combining your car and home insurance policies leads to a discounted premium.
- New home: If your house has been newly built or is under ten years of age, you might save some money.
- Higher deductible: If you choose to carry a higher deductible amount, you may save money. Just be sure you can afford your higher deductible if you file a claim.
Reasons why Stillwater is a good option
Affordable insurance can be hard to find, and if you have poor credit or lapses in your policies, it is not uncommon to struggle to find budget-friendly options. Stillwater makes insurance coverage available for all without breaking the bank, and even in its short time in the industry the company has become a household name for being an understated insurer with all the required coverage options. The policies are also available across the country, although benefits and rates might vary.
However, if you’re looking for robust coverage, Stillwater might not be the company for you. The home insurance policy does not include personal liability coverage or medical payments, and the personal property coverage excludes computers.
Stillwater ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Some third-party rating services such as J.D. Power, Consumers Advocate or TrustPilot have not rated Stillwater auto or home insurance. AM Best, the century-old credit rating agency, gives Stillwater a score of A- (Excellent), helping establish the company’s financial position and the ability to pay out claims. On the index of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Stillwater scores 2.88, where 1 is the baseline for customer complaints. A higher number indicates more than the average number of complaints.
|AM Best||A- (Excellent)|
Most complaints against Stillwater seem to be about claims denial. Although claims can be easily filed over the phone, via email or through the mobile app, home and car insurance policyholders complain about customer service after filing a claim and failure to get the covered expenses paid for. Understanding your coverage can help you determine whether or not a loss will be covered. Speak with an agent prior to filing a claim.
Additional policies offered by Stillwater
Aside from home and auto insurance, Stillwater also sells the following products:
- Renters insurance: Covers your personal property when you live in a rented house or apartment
- Condo insurance: Provides you with coverage when you own a condominium
- Landlord insurance: Gives you protection when you rent out your property to tenants
- Business insurance: Offers liability, property and loss of income coverage for small businesses
- Umbrella insurance: Additional personal liability coverage supplementing your home or car insurance
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Stillwater?
How do I file a claim with Stillwater?
There are three ways to report a claim: the mobile app, email or the 24/7 helpline number. You need to provide your policy number, phone number, date when the damage occurred and a brief explanation of the incident. An online chat tool is available to check the status of your claim with a claims specialist.