Liberty Mutual boasts over 100 years of experience in the insurance industry, so it’s no surprise that the company offers a broad range of coverage types. As the fifth-largest property and casualty insurer in the United States, Liberty Mutual sells a variety of policies, including home, auto, renters, motorcycle, pet, life, business and more.
Liberty Mutual customers can get access to some great benefits, including a number of discounts and digital tools. But when digging into Liberty Mutual reviews, expect to find reports of challenges when filing claims. If you’re willing to put in a little extra work when you need to file a claim, you might find that Liberty Mutual’s expansive coverage options, discounts and user-friendly online system make it an ideal fit for you.
Liberty Mutual car insurance
On top of the standard coverage options such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist, Liberty Mutual stands out by offering several unique add-ons for expanding your coverage. These options help add to happy Liberty Mutual auto insurance reviews.
- Accident forgiveness: If you are an accident- and violation-free for five years, this coverage offers you a free pass — your rate won’t go up after your first accident.
- Lifetime repair guarantee: As long as you use Liberty Mutual-approved shops, the company will arrange your repairs and guarantee them for as long as you own the car.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled with less than 15,000 miles, Liberty Mutual will fund a brand new vehicle, not just one equivalent to your car’s depreciated value.
- Better car replacement: For older vehicles that are totaled, the insurer will give you enough cash to buy a car one model year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is damaged in an accident, Liberty Mutual will pay for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop.
- Original parts replacement: Allows you to replace any damaged car parts that meet the highest quality standards.
- Deductible Fund: Pay $30 extra on your annual premium and lower your deductible by $100 each year.
- Gap insurance: If your totaled car’s replacement value is lower than what you owe on a loan or lease, Liberty Mutual will cover the difference.
- Teacher’s auto insurance: This unique policy, which comes at no extra cost, offers extra coverage for teachers for vandalism, collisions and personal property for incidents at school or driving to and from work. This option is not available in all states.
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of discounts for its auto policy owners as well. You would be hard-pressed not to find several discounts that you can take advantage of. These vary by state, but options include:
- Personal discounts: Whether you’re a homeowner, in the military or a good student, Liberty Mutual offers a discount for you. Especially enticing for renewing customers: the company offers up to 45% off a policy renewal if you get a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires.
- Vehicle discounts: Get lower rates for advanced safety features, energy efficiency or anti-theft technology.
- Driving discounts: Get rewarded for your safe driving record. Most notable is Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack program, which uses a smart tracking device and app to earn you savings of up to 30% on your premium for your safe driving habits.
- Policy discounts: Rate savings are available for policyholders with more than one car and multiple policies, as well as those who pay up front, purchase online or enroll in autopay.
Liberty Mutual home insurance
Liberty Mutual home insurance policies cover the usual necessities — your dwelling, personal property, liability and any additional living expenses — plus a variety of extras. Here are the add-on coverages you can purchase from Liberty Mutual:
- Personal property replacement cost: If your personal items get damaged in a covered event, Liberty Mutual will pay you the current market cost to replace them.
- Blanket jewelry: Homeowners who keep expensive jewelry in their home will benefit from blanket jewelry coverage, which will replace your jewelry if it’s lost or stolen, with no deductible or appraisal needed.
- Hurricane coverage: Covers property damage related to a hurricane.
- Water damage: Liberty Mutual will cover the damages if you get water damage in your home that is caused by a backup or overflow.
- Inflation protection: Inflation protection coverage automatically adjusts your coverage limits based on changes in inflation when your policy renews.
Liberty Mutual offers a number of discounts for its homeowners insurance policies. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for discounts for:
- Bundling home and auto policies
- Staying claims-free for three years or more (or five years if you’re switching from another insurer)
- Protecting your home with various safety and security devices
- Purchasing a newly built home or performing renovations
- Adding a new roof
- Being a military veteran or in active service
- Choosing autopay
- Going paperless
- Getting a quote before your old policy expires
- Insuring your home to its replacement cost
Liberty Mutual life insurance
Types of policies
Liberty Mutual offers several different types of life insurance policies depending on your needs. Here are the options:
- Term life insurance: Term life insurance offers short-term coverage for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years. There is a guaranteed death benefit and your premium will never change during the term. Liberty Mutual’s term life insurance policies include a built-in conversion guarantee, a variety of riders and the option to convert to permanent coverage at any time.
- Whole life insurance: Whole life insurance builds cash value, offers a guaranteed tax-free death benefit, and has level premiums. Liberty Mutual offers several different types of whole life insurance, including simplified issue and single premium coverage.
- Fixed annuity: Liberty Mutual also offers fixed annuity life insurance coverage, where you make one premium payment and get guaranteed income during retirement. There are two options—Single Premium Deferred Annuity (SPDA) and Fixed Indexed Annuity (FIA).
Liberty Mutual ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
With so many coverage types, a wide variety of discounts and the many positive Liberty Mutual insurance reviews Liberty Mutual may seem like an ideal choice for covering your car, home or rental property, or supplying your life insurance. But what do the ratings say? Here is how Liberty Mutual insurance is rated by top research organizations:
|Liberty Mutual Rating|
|J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study (2020)||Varies by region|
|J.D. Power Home Insurance Study (2019)||2 out of 5 stars|
|J.D. Power Renters Insurance Study (2019)||2 out of 5 stars|
|J.D. Power Life Insurance Study (2019)||4 out of 5 stars|
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
|NAIC Complaint Index||3.85 (higher than average complaints)|
By far, Liberty Mutual earned the best scores for life insurance. In J.D. Power’s 2019 Life Insurance Study, the company earned a 4 out of 5 star rating, which puts it in the ‘better than most’ category. Liberty Mutual’s home and renters insurance got lower marks, with just 2 out of 5 stars. J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Study, which looks at the best providers by region, ranks companies on a 1,000 point scale. Liberty Mutual was rated anywhere from 786 to 842.
You might be impressed by Liberty Mutual’s A+ BBB rating, but the score is deceiving. There are 381 customer reviews with an average rating of 1 star and 964 customer complaints. With that being said, it makes sense that Liberty Mutual has an extremely high NAIC complaint rate of 3.85, which is much higher than the industry average of 1.0.
Why Liberty Mutual might be right for you
Liberty Mutual is working on the company’s technological innovation, especially when it comes to car insurance. Not only can you file and track a claim online, but the company offers a variety of added perks.
Customers can use The Liberty Mutual Claims Valet Service™, where the company sends a driver to both deliver your replacement car while your car is being repaired and to take your car to the shop for you (assuming it’s drivable).
On top of digital ease-of-use, Liberty Mutual’s draw comes from their variety of coverage and discount options. Want your car’s coverage to pay for repairs even when they’re not accident-related? Easy. Get the vehicle service plan called ForeverCar™.
Want to upgrade your ride? Buy their Better Car Replacement™ coverage and if your car is totaled, it will replace it with a car that’s one model year newer and has 15,000 fewer miles.
Worried about being able to pay your deductible? Enroll in the Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund®. Each year, you pay $30 and Liberty Mutual contributes $100 to a deductible fund. That fund grows year after year as a source you can tap any time you need money to cover a Liberty Mutual deductible.
Liberty Mutual’s home and renters insurance customers don’t get access to these innovative offerings, but the property coverage is still top-notch. The company has a variety of coverage options and great discounts that can help lower your rate.
Although life insurance isn’t Liberty Mutual’s most popular product, it is highly rated. There are three policies you can choose from based on your needs, including a fixed annuity option that isn’t offered by every insurance company.
Additional policies offered by Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual, like most other insurers, offers you discounts if you bundle your car insurance with other policies it provides. Some of your other personal insurance options include:
- Antique and classic cars
- ATV, off-road and recreational vehicles
- Mobile home
- Critical illness
- Small business
On top of this, Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of commercial coverage options.
Frequently asked questions
Still have questions? We’ve answered some of your most frequently asked questions below.
How do I know how much Liberty Mutual car insurance to buy?
It can be difficult to determine how much car insurance coverage you need. We recommend using Liberty Mutual’s handy Car Insurance Coverage Calculator to help.
What do I need to get a quote from Liberty Mutual?
Getting your Liberty Mutual car insurance quote is easy online. If your car is registered to your address, simply inputting where you live will pull up your car info. Then, you need to input some information about the safety features, the make, model and year, and estimated annual mileage. With a little more personal info and a quick writeup on any accidents, violations or auto insurance claims you’ve had in the last seven years, you’re on your way to getting your quote.
How do I get my Liberty Mutual ID cards?
You don’t have to wait to get ID cards in the mail from Liberty Mutual. The company has a page on its website that makes it easy to download your ID cards online, even if you don’t have login information easily accessible.
How do I file a claim with Liberty Mutual?
You can file a claim with Liberty Mutual by calling the company, using its mobile app, or on the website. If you use the mobile app, you’ll be able to send pictures of the relevant damages right from your phone.
Liberty Mutual also offers a help page on its site to clue you into what to expect during the claims submission process. Once submitted, you can digitally track your claim and ask questions about its progress.