Ever wondered if being a safe driver could save you money on auto insurance? One option that may help reduce your premium is State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program, which is designed to reward safe drivers with discounts on their car insurance. With several other car insurance cost factors outside your control, like state-required minimums, programs like Drive Safe and Save allow for potentially lower rates based on monitored driving habits.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
For drivers State Farm car insurance, the Drive Safe and Save program could be another opportunity to save money on car insurance. State Farm reports that drivers can receive an initial discount just by signing up and up to 30% by participating. To get started, drivers can download a mobile app or use OnStar if their vehicle comes equipped with it.
From there, State Farm will monitor driving habits to determine the discount amount that may be applied to the policy. During the program, it’s even possible to use the Alexa app to check the status and amount of the Drive Safe and Save discount. The program is optional and drivers who aren’t able to earn a discount because of their driving habits will not be surcharged on their car insurance policy after the program period.
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
The free Drive Safe and Save app can be downloaded from Google Play or the App Store. Follow these steps to install it:
- Text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the app in Google Play or the App Store. You will only be able to download the app received in the form of a link if your smartphone is compatible.
- Log in to the installed app using your statefarm.com user ID and password.
- Wait for your Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail a few days after enrolling.
- When your beacon arrives, take it to the vehicle and follow the easy setup instructions from the app.
State Farm can also send you a small beacon, about the size of a quarter, that you stick on your vehicle’s windshield to monitor your driving.
If your car is equipped with OnStar technology, you won’t need to download the mobile app. Having an active OnStar account along with its satellite-based tracking system enables your driving habits to be shared with State Farm. To enroll, you can contact State Farm’s customer service line at 888-559-1922 and give them the details of your OnStar plan. An agent should be able to quickly enroll your eligible vehicle.
What does State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitor?
Drive Safe and Save is based on your mileage and driving habits. The app will monitor how many miles you drive, along with several driving characteristics. Among them:
- Acceleration – When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car, which could increase your chances of being involved in an accident.
- Braking – Driving at a safe speed is as essential as keeping a good distance between your car and the one in front of you. Drive Safe and Save monitors how quickly you brake and rewards you for braking slowly, proving you kept a safe distance, rather than braking quickly to avoid a collision.
- Cornering – Telematics can track quick, sharp turns, which are not safe driving behaviors. Quick or sharp turns usually show that you were trying to avoid rapidly approaching cars — putting you at risk of an accident.
- Speed – If you exceed the speed limit by eight miles per hour or more, the app takes notice. To be considered a safe driver, you need to obey all posted speed limits.
- Phone use – This is an obvious hazard on the road, but several people still use their mobile phones while driving. The technology can track when you are using your phone, through movement and use of the screen. Avoid phone use while driving for your safety and to help increase your State Farm discounts simultaneously.
- Time of day – If possible, avoid driving when traffic is heavy. This generally includes morning and evening rush hours and late-night driving.
All these factors are collected by State Farm and are factored into your Drive Safe and Save grades, which provides the company with a snapshot of your driving skills. These grades are used to determine your discount percentage. When you drive safely and avoid risks like heavy traffic hours and late-night driving, these behaviors could potentially translate to a considerable discount on your car insurance.
How do you save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
When your policy renews, State Farm will use your Drive Safe and Save data to determine how safe your driving has been. Based on the elements it measures — acceleration, braking and other benchmarks — it will assign a discount to your policy, which can be up to 30%.
Who is the Drive Safe and Save program a good option for?
Responsible drivers could save hundreds of dollars annually on their insurance premium by opting for the Drive Safe and Save program. By adhering to low-risk driving, you may reap the benefits of program discounts reflected in your premium.
It might also be a good option for those who want to improve their driving habits, as there is no risk of premiums increasing from participating in the program. The program does not monitor tickets or traffic stops. If you travel long distances — potentially as part of a daily commute — and have a high annual mileage, you may not be able to receive the maximum discount with Drive Safe and Save.
Usage-based insurance can also benefit young drivers. If you have a teen or young adult who has just started driving, State Farm’s program could give you an informal way of knowing how well they are doing behind the wheel so that you can help them become a safer and more aware driver.
Frequently asked questions
How do telematics work?
Telematics uses a combination of GPS positioning and on-board diagnostics to determine your location, traveling speed and how the driver is behaving. These factors provide an auto insurer like State Farm clear data to determine driving habits and assess risk to the driver.
Can your rates go up with Drive Safe and Save?
Your rate will only increase if your vehicle already has a low-mileage discount (under 7,500 miles a year) and you exceed that. In this case, you can lose the discount.
Are all cars in a household required to participate?
This program is vehicle-specific and discounts apply individually for each car that is enrolled.
What if I have a mark on my driving record?
State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program doesn’t calculate prior tickets or accidents when determining discount amounts. The program focuses on actual miles driven and specific driving habits to calculate the discount for each driver.