When you are shopping for the cheapest car insurance companies, keep the following points in mind:
- Find out your state’s minimum insurance requirements.
- Know the status of your driving record, particularly tickets or accidents.
- Get quotes from several insurance companies before deciding on a carrier.
- Inquire about discounts, such as multi-car, safe driver or driver education discounts.
- Research the insurance companies you’re considering by searching for consumer reviews, checking the J.D. Power or Better Business Bureau websites, and talking to family and friends.
- Review the new policy limits and details before finalizing it.
Best car insurance companies in Nebraska
These are the best insurance companies in Nebraska when it comes to price, according to J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study.
- Esurance: Esurance offers car insurance online to make getting coverage easy. Customization options include emergency roadside coverage, rental car coverage, medical payments coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. It also has discounts like multi-policy, good driver and paid-in-full.
- Geico: Geico offers affordable rates that can get even lowers with the many discount options available. This company offers coverage for specific insurance needs like ATV and RVs, rideshare drivers and people in Mexico.
- State Farm: State Farm offers nearly every type of insurance, which lets you get insurance for everything you need and discounts for having multiple policies. You can get extra coverage for liability, emergency roadside assistance, uninsured motorist, rideshare and medical payments.
- USAA: If you serve in the military or have immediate family who serve, USAA is an excellent option to help you save a lot of money on your insurance rates. It offers discounts on top of its already inexpensive rates.
- Westfield Insurance: Westfield Insurance has high ratings for customer satisfaction, especially in the claims process. Besides personal insurance, it also offers business and farm insurance.
|Company||J.D. Power rating||BBB rating||AM Best rating|
|Geico||3 out of 5||A+||A++|
|Westfield Insurance||5 out of 5||A+||A|
|State Farm||4 out of 5||A+||A++|
|Esurance||3 out of 5||A-||A+|
|USAA||5 out of 5||F||A++|
USAA is removed from the usual standings in J.D. Power’s survey, because it is only available to current and former military members and their families. The F rating on the BBB is due to a settlement in early 2019 that “states that the business violated the Electronic Fund Transfer Act and Regulation E.” This led to a lot of consumer complaints, which lowered the company’s rating.
Geico offers the best pricing, according to those surveyed, with Westfield, State Farm and Esurance right behind. Westfield provides the best overall customer experience, and they were rated #1 for the region overall, including claims processing and customer interactions.
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Nebraska for you
Car insurance rates are dependent on several factors, including the driver’s age, driving record, credit rating, vehicle being insured, and how much driving you do.
Cheapest car insurance for drivers with a good driving record: State Farm and USAA
USAA and State Farm are the best companies for those with a clean driving record according to a study by U.S. News. Even with one ticket, their rates aren’t that much higher. For one speeding ticket, USAA’s average rate is $940 and State Farm’s is $1,100.
Cheapest car insurance for young drivers: Geico and USAA
Geico and USAA provided the best rates for young drivers. The U.S. News looked at the rates for 25-year-old men and women and found that Geico and USAA were up to $500 less for a year of coverage. Geico has an average rate of $1,133 for men and $1,122 for women at that age. USAA would cost $1,029 for men and $925 for women.
Cheapest car insurance for drivers with good credit: USAA and State Farm
State Farm and USAA offer the best rates for those with good credit. You can save $300-600 on your premiums. State Farm has an average cost of $1,143.07 while USAA has an average cost of $799.09. For comparison, Allstate cost $1,419.14 and Geico cost $1,143.07.
Cheapest car insurance for drivers with bad credit: USAA and Geico
Geico and USAA are the best for those who have had some credit struggles. Geico’s average premium is $1,797.62 for someone with poor credit. USAA’s average cost for someone with the same credit level is$1,455.74.
Average cost of car insurance in Nebraska
|Young Driver (16 years old)||$5,922 (with parents)|
|Male driver, age 25||$1,360|
|With a speeding ticket||$1,384|
Car insurance discounts in Nebraska
There are many ways to save money on your car insurance in Nebraska. Many of them have been presented above. Here is a description of each of the different discounts available.
- Bundling:Most companies will offer a discount when you have more than one policy with them, such as home, auto and life. You will also get a discount if you insure more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Good driver discount: This is offered to drivers who have a clean driving record.Student discount: Those drivers who are still in school can get a discount for maintaining good grades.
- Driver education discount: Companies offer discounts when drivers take a driver education course.
State minimum insurance requirements in Nebraska
Nebraska requires liability insurance, as well as personal injury protection. Here are the required limits:
- Bodily injury liability: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability: $25,000
- Personal injury protection: $50,000 per person
The liability insurance covers any damage you cause in an accident to another driver, passengers or vehicles. It covers both injuries to people and damage to physical properties.
Personal injury protection covers your medical expenses from an accident, no matter whose fault it is. Nebraska requires that all drivers carry this coverage.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Nebraska?
Based on the latest reports, Geico and USAA provide the best rates for drivers in Nebraska. Rates will vary by carrier, driver and vehicle, so check pricing with several companies before deciding.
What information is needed to get car insurance in Nebraska?
You will need your personal contact information, list of approved drivers, vehicle information and driving record to request a quote. Most companies allow you to get a free quote online.
Is uninsured motorist insurance required in Nebraska?
No, it is not included in the required coverages.
Are digital insurance cards accepted in Nebraska?
Yes, digital insurance cards can be used as proof of insurance in Nebraska.