How to know if you are owed an inheritance

Bankrate Logo

Why you can trust Bankrate

While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .

Dear Dr. Don,
My question is about how to find out whether my father has left any assets to me if he has died, as I fear.

He and I are estranged. I have not heard from him in years. His last known address is Port Arthur, Texas. I live in New York. I have tried to find him on family search sites.

I am not sure if this is just a way for sites to get money from me. Isn’t there an official way for me to find out whether he is deceased? I do not have his Social Security number, which might hamper a search. One big question involves whether I am entitled to assets he left behind.

Please help if you can.

Thank you,
— Zoe Zeal

Dear Zoe,
First, I can appreciate how this is a difficult time for you. Learning about your father’s status, including what is happening with his estate, must be a source of anxiety for you.

So, let’s try to search for some of the facts.

Genealogy sites search obituaries, the Social Security Death Master File and other sources for a record of a person’s death. You can also purchase access to the Social Security Death Index through the National Technical Information Service. I didn’t perform an exhaustive search, but a website called will allow you to search the Social Security Death Master file for free. Some genealogy sites offer short-term free trials that you can cancel before being charged a fee.

Once you know the date of death …

If his date of death is established, you can request a verification of death from Texas Vital Statistics, assuming that he died in Texas. A verification letter isn’t a legal substitute for a death certificate. In Texas, for example, you need to have a substantial and valid reason to request an official death certificate. That could include being a beneficiary on a life insurance policy.

Was there a will?

Your father’s estate would be distributed by a will, if he had one. If he died intestate, without a will, his estate would be distributed under his state’s laws. While it is possible that you have a claim on the estate, it is also possible that you were written out of the will.

You could also look at the public records available in the county seat to search for your father’s records, including those of the Probate Court. It would help you to see if his estate went through probate.

Good luck with working through the process. You have some decisions to make now that you are armed with more information.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select one of these topics: “Financing a home,” “Saving & Investing” or “Money.” Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.

More On Inheritance: