Founded in 1958, the American Association of Retired Persons serves as a powerful advocate for older Americans. Today, there are nearly 38 million members that enjoy a host of benefits, including AARP discounts on dining, travel and entertainment. In association with The Hartford, AARP also offers car and home insurance policies designed to meet the needs of older adults. The Hartford has been in the insurance business for more than 200 years and is one of the most respected providers in the United States, lending an extra layer of credibility to AARP insurance.
AARP auto insurance
AARP offers a full range of property and medical car insurance coverages and discounts.
Medical payments coverage to help pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers if you are at fault in an accident.
- No-fault personal injury coverage to pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers. No-fault insurance pays regardless of who is at fault in an accident. AARP does not offer this coverage in all states.
- Collision coverage to help pay for the repair or replacement of your vehicle following an automobile accident.
- Comprehensive coverage to help pay for damage to your vehicle not caused in an accident, like if someone vandalizes or steals your car. Typically, comprehensive coverage does not pay for items stolen from your car, such as cell phones or laptop computers.
- Full glass coverage to pay for broken windshields or windows. Your comprehensive coverage may pay for broken glass, but it has a deductible. Full glass coverage has no deductible. AARP does not offer full glass coverage in all states.
- Car towing coverage to help pay for towing services if you break down on the road.
- Rental car expense coverage to help pay for a rental car if your vehicle needs repairs following an accident.
- Bodily injury insurance to pay the medical expenses of another driver, another driver’s passengers or a pedestrian if you are at fault for an accident.
- Property damage liability coverage to pay for repairing or replacing another driver’s car when you are at fault in an accident. Property damage liability also covers property such as fences and mailboxes.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) to pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers if an underinsured or uninsured driver is at fault for an accident. Many states require underinsured and uninsured coverage. UM/UIM can also cover repairs or replacement of your vehicle if an underinsured or uninsured driver is at fault for an accident.
- Personal umbrella insurance to pay for medical expenses or property damages that exceed the limits of your liability coverages when you are at fault for an accident. Personal umbrella insurance comes in handy if another driver sues you for damages.
- Gap insurance can help pay the difference between your auto loan and your settlement amount in case of a loss.
- New car replacement coverage could reimburse you enough to purchase a new vehicle of the same make, model and features list if yours is declared a total loss, not including depreciation.
- RecoverCare may help pay for home services if you are injured in a vehicle accident and unable to perform basic tasks. AARP could help you find a trusted, approved shop within its large network of repair shops.
- Lifetime car repair coverage guarantees repair work performed at authorized shops.
- Anti-theft device discounts for vehicles equipped with alarm systems and tracking devices.
- Safety features, such as seatbelts and airbag discounts, for suitably equipped vehicles.
- Vehicle fuel type discounts for electric and hybrid automobiles.
- Driver training discounts for young drivers who complete an insurer-approved training course. AARP offers driver training discounts for drivers under age 21 in most states, and under 25 in Georgia.
- Defensive driver course discounts for people who complete an insurer-approved defensive driving course.
- Bundled insurance discounts for automobile owners who bundle their car insurance with an AARP homeowners or renters policy. Bundling your policies can help you save up to 5% on your AARP auto insurance.
- Paid-in-full discounts for policyholders who pay their entire premium up front, in one payment.
AARP homeowners insurance
AARP helps add financial protection for your house with a variety of homeowners coverages. Plus, you may save on your homeowners insurance premium when you take advantage of the AARP discounts they offer.
- Dwelling insurance covers your home and attached structures such as garages and workshops. Dwelling insurance serves as your primary homeowners policy and covers components like air conditioning systems, electrical wiring, heating systems and plumbing.
- Other structures insurance covers detached structures on your property such as garages, sheds and fences.
- Personal property insurance covers the contents of your home, such as appliances, clothing and furniture. Personal property insurance does not cover items such as expensive jewelry or artwork. However, AARP offers other policies to protect your most valuable possessions.
- Loss of use coverage can help pay for hotel accommodation or apartment rent if your home becomes uninhabitable following a covered loss such as fire damage.
- Liability insurance helps pay legal fees if someone sustains an injury while on your property and takes court action.
- Medical payments liability insurance helps pay the medical expenses of someone who does not reside in your home if they sustain an injury while on your property.
- Bundled coverage discounts when you bundle your homeowners policies with an AARP auto insurance policy. Bundling can save you as much as 20% on your AARP homeowners insurance.
- Home security and protective devices discounts for homes equipped with burglar alarms, deadbolt locks, smoke alarms and sprinkler systems.
- Retiree discounts for people who are retired and folks who work less than 24 hours each week.
AARP ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Each year, J.D. Power and Associates conducts research on car insurance companies to find the best in the business. Using a 1,000-point system, J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by U.S. region in categories, including overall customer satisfaction, policy offerings, policy pricing, billing process and policy information, customer interaction and claims handling.
AARP Insurance is not included in J.D. Power ratings, but The Hartford, which provides AARP insurance, is. In its 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, AARP Hartford insurance ranks fourth among the top car insurance companies in Florida, with a customer satisfaction score of 842. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reflects a below-average customer complaint index for The Hartford, with a score of .36.
Top reasons to consider AARP
AARP homeowners insurance is a great option for retirees who want to take advantage of AARP discounts in their golden years. Bundling a home policy with an AARP automobile policy, could save you even more money.
Besides the AARP discounts for retired policyholders, RecoverCare coverage is worth noting. The Hartford offers to pay for any costs that Medicare or health insurance will not cover after a covered vehicle accident, such as cooking, cleaning, transportation and general home care. However, AARP The Hartford coverage is not for everyone — policies are geared for older drivers and lack discounts and options younger household members may appreciate, such as good student discounts or rideshare insurance.
Knowing you will likely not get dropped from your AARP car insurance as you age adds peace of mind, which is priceless. In addition, you may more readily ensure lifetime renewal of your auto insurance policy as long as your premiums are paid and your driver’s license is current.
Additional policies offered by AARP
Many older folks like to enjoy retirement with loads of fun toys. For them, AARP and The Hartford also offers:
- All-terrain vehicle insurance
- Classic car insurance
- Golf cart insurance
- Recreational vehicle insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Boat insurance
- Commercial auto coverage
One of the best ways to save is by bundling vehicle insurance with other types of insurance. AARP also offers various coverages for all types of dwellings, including:
- Condominium insurance
- Flood insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Frequently asked questions
What information will an agent need to calculate an AARP car insurance quote?
Although the easiest way to get a quote tends to be using the online tool, you can also call for a quote. The agent will need to know your age, location, type of car you drive, annual driving mileage and information about your driving history to help you find the best quote.
How do I file a claim with AARP?
There are three ways to report a claim or accident with AARP The Hartford. You can file a homeowners insurance or car insurance claim online on the AARP-Hartford insurance website, by calling a toll-free claims number or through the mobile app.
Does AARP offer home insurance discounts for seniors?
Americans age 50 or older qualify for membership to the AARP for access to its quality insurance products. You may earn a discount from AARP home insurance when you retire or if you limit your work schedule to less than 24 hours per week.
Does AARP sell business insurance?
AARP and The Hartford’s partnership means members will have access to a variety of insurance and financial products. In addition to personal insurance, AARP The Hartford offers all types of business insurances to cover buildings, data, workers, work vehicles and much more.