Founded in 1958, the American Association of Retired Persons serves as a powerful advocate for senior citizens. There are 38 million members today that enjoy a host of benefits, including AARP discounts on dining, travel and entertainment. In association with The Hartford, AARP also offers car and home insurance policies. The Hartford has been in the insurance business for more than 200 years and is one of the most respected providers in the United States.
AARP auto insurance
- Medical payments coverage to help pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers if you are at fault in an accident.
- No-fault personal injury coverage to pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers. No-fault insurance pays regardless of who is at fault in an accident. AARP does not offer this coverage in all states.
- Collision coverage to pay for the repair or replacement of your vehicle following an automobile accident.
- Comprehensive insurance to pay for damage to your vehicle not caused in an accident. For example, if someone vandalizes your car, your comprehensive policy will help pay for repairs. Comprehensive AARP car insurance also pays to replace your vehicle if someone steals it. Typically, comprehensive coverage does not pay for items stolen from your car such as cellular phones or laptop computers.
- Full glass coverage to pay for broken windshields or windows. Your comprehensive coverage will pay for broken glass, but it has a deductible. Full glass coverage has no deductible. AARP does not offer full glass coverage in all states.
- Car towing coverage to help pay for towing services if you break down on the road.
- Rental car expense coverage to help pay for a rental car if your vehicle needs repairs following an accident.
- Bodily injury insurance to pay the medical expenses of another driver, another driver’s passengers or a pedestrian if you are at fault for an accident.
- Property damage liability coverage to pay for the repair or replacement of another driver’s car when you are at fault in an accident. Property damage liability also covers property such as fences and mailboxes.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury insurance to pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers if an underinsured or uninsured driver is at fault for an accident. Many states require underinsured and uninsured coverage.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist property damage policies to pay for the repair or replacement of your vehicle if an underinsured or uninsured driver is at fault for an accident.
- Personal umbrella insurance to pay for medical expenses or property damages that exceed the limits of your liability coverages when you are at fault for an accident. Personal umbrella insurance comes in handy if another driver sues you for damages.
- Anti-theft device discounts for vehicles equipped with alarm systems and tracking devices.
- Air bag discounts for suitably equipped vehicles.
- Vehicle fuel type discounts for electric and hybrid automobiles.
- Driver training discounts for young drivers who complete an insurer-approved training course. AARP offers driver training discounts only for drivers under the age of 21 in most states, and under 25 in Georgia.
- Good student discounts for full-time students aged 16 to 25 who maintain good grades.
- Defensive driver course discounts for people who complete an insurer-approved defensive driving course.
- Bundled insurance discounts for automobile owners who bundle their car insurance with an AARP homeowners or renters policy. Bundling your policies can help you save up to 5% on your AARP auto insurance.
- Paid-in-full discounts for policyholders who pay their entire premium in one payment.
AARP homeowners insurance
AARP helps protect your house with a variety of homeowners coverages. Plus, you’ll save when you take advantage of the AARP discounts they offer.
- >Dwelling insurance covers your home and attached structures such as garages and workshops. Dwelling insurance serves as your primary homeowners policy and covers components like air conditioning systems, electrical wiring, heating systems and plumbing.
- Other structures insurance covers detached structures on your property such as garages, sheds and fences.
- Personal property insurance covers the contents of your home such as appliances, clothing and furniture. Personal property insurance does not cover items such as expensive jewelry or artwork. However, AARP offers other policies to protect your most valuable possessions.
- Loss of use coverage can help pay for hotel accommodation or apartment rent if your home becomes uninhabitable following a covered loss such as fire damage.
- Liability insurance helps pay legal fees and judgements if someone sustains an injury while on your property.
- Medical payments liability insurance helps pay the medical expenses of someone who does not reside in your home if they sustain an injury while on your property.
- Bundled coverage discounts when you bundle your homeowners policies with an AARP auto insurance policy. Bundling can save you as much as 20% on your AARP homeowners insurance.
- Home security and protective devices discounts for homes equipped with burglar alarms, deadbolt locks, smoke alarms and sprinkler systems.
- Retiree discounts for people who are retired and folks who work less than 24 hours each week.
AARP ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Each year, J.D. Power and Associates conducts research on car insurance companies to find the best in the business. Using a 1,000-point system, J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by U.S. region in categories including, overall customer satisfaction, policy offerings, policy pricing, billing process and policy information, customer interaction and claims handling.
AARP Insurance is not included in J.D. Power ratings, but The Hartford, which provides AARP insurance, is. In its 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, AARP Hartford insurance ranks among the top car insurance companies in the following regions.
- Number of customer complaints filed with the BBB.
- Company size.
- How a company responds to customer complaints filed with the BBB.
- The length of time a business takes to resolve customer complaints filed with the BBB.
- The effort of a company to resolve customer complaints filed with the BBB.
- Efforts a business takes to resolve the underlying causes of complaints filed with the BBB.
Customer complaints filed with the BBB against AARP Hartford insurance include issues such as advertising and sales problems, billing and collections complications, delivery issues, guarantee problems and product issues.
Reasons why AARP might be a great option
AARP homeowners insurance is a great option for retirees who want to take advantage of AARP discounts in their golden years. And, if they bundle their home policy with an AARP automobile policy, they can save even more money.
What makes AARP a great option for customers aged 50+ are the coverages unique for the age set. Besides the AARP discounts for retired policyholders, RecoverCare coverage is worth noting. The Hartford will pay for any costs that Medicare or health insurance won’t cover after a vehicle accident, such as cooking, cleaning, transportation and general home care.
In addition, you’ll have guaranteed lifetime renewal of your auto insurance policy as long as your premiums are paid and your driver’s license is current. Knowing you won’t get dropped from your AARP car insurance as you age adds peace of mind.
Additional policies offered by AARP
Many older folks like to enjoy retirement with loads of fun toys. For them, AARP and The Hartford also offers:
- All-terrain vehicle insurance
- Classic car insurance
- Golf cart insurance
- Recreational vehicle insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
AARP also offers various coverages for all types of dwellings, including:
- Condominium insurance
- Flood insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Frequently asked questions
What information will an agent need to calculate an AARP car insurance quote?
When you call for an AARP car insurance quote, the agent will need to know your age, location, type of car you drive, annual driving mileage and information about your driving history.
How do I file a claim with AARP?
Does AARP offer home insurance discounts for seniors?
You can earn a homeowners insurance discount from AARP home insurance when you retire or if you limit your work schedule to less than 24 hours per week.
Does AARP sell business insurance?
AARP and The Hartford offer all types of business insurances to cover buildings, data, workers, work vehicles and much more.