Earthquake insurance covers quakes and more

Fact-checked with


At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here’s an explanation for

Which bank should I choose?

Get personalized bank recommendations in 3 easy steps.

Dear Insurance Adviser,
Recently in North Texas, a home had to be destroyed at the homeowner’s expense due to ground movement. The owner did not have insurance to cover the cost. Is there a home insurance policy that would cover ground movement? Also, what if your ground moves and your plumbing is damaged?
— K.C.

Dear K.C.,
Home insurance policies exclude any damage from earth movement, such as — but not limited to — earthquakes. For an additional charge, you can optionally add on an earthquake coverage endorsement that covers damage from quakes and volcanic tremors.

Compare home insurance quotes and save

The more likely an earthquake in your area, the greater the charge.

If the ground moves for any reason other than an earthquake or volcano (a landslide, for example), the earthquake coverage wouldn’t apply.

To answer your plumbing question, if you have quake coverage and the ground moves from something other than an earthquake, your damaged plumbing would not be covered. If an earthquake is the cause, the damage would be covered, subject to your earthquake deductible.

What’s unique about earthquake coverage is that it has a substantial deductible of usually 5 percent or 10 percent of your building coverage amount. That means if you’ve insured a $500,000 home, your deductible could be $50,000. Insurance generally covers 100 percent of the loss above the deductible, once it’s met.

The earthquake endorsement covers damage to buildings and contents, but does not cover additional living expenses.

Find out more about the history of earthquakes in your area from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Good luck!

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of the Insurance Adviser, go to the”Ask the Experts” page and select “Insurance” from the drop-down box. Read more Insurance Adviser columns.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.