Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card review
Best for Delta Air Lines frequent flyers
- Rewards: Earn 3x miles on Delta flights and Delta Vacations® purchases, plus on transactions made directly with hotels. Earn 2x miles at U.S. supermarkets and restaurants, including delivery and takeout. Earn 1x miles on all other purchases.
- Welcome offer: Earn 40,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after spending $2,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of having the card. Earn a $100 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months of having the card.
- Annual fee: $250
- Purchase intro APR: N/A
- Balance transfer intro APR: N/A
- Regular APR: 15.74 percent to 24.74 percent variable
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is a smart card to have if you fly frequently with Delta Air Lines. This Delta credit card has a $250 annual fee, but the bonus miles you can rack up by using the card may make it worth it, especially if you travel often and Delta’s your airline of choice.
Current welcome offer
The current welcome offer for the Amex Delta platinum metal card is 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and 40,000 bonus miles after you’ve made $2,000 in transactions within the first three months. You can also earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months.
You’ll earn Delta SkyMiles with every purchase, and you can redeem them for flights and more.
Earn rewards by using your Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card on any purchase. Earn 3x miles on Delta Vacations purchases and on Delta flights, plus on transactions made directly with hotels. Earn 2x miles at U.S. supermarkets and at restaurants, including delivery and takeout. Earn 1x mile on all other purchases.
There are numerous options for redeeming your Delta SkyMiles. First and foremost, of course, is booking flights. Simply select “Shop With Miles” when searching for flights on delta.com. You can also redeem SkyMiles toward Delta Sky Club memberships and purchases (including drinks within each lounge), seat upgrades, Delta Vacations packages, gifts, donations to charity, magazine subscriptions, special event SkyMiles Experiences and SkyMiles Marketplace purchases.
How much are points worth?
Delta doesn’t maintain a fixed award chart, meaning that the amount of miles it charges for a given ticket varies depending on the cash price of that ticket. To estimate how much your miles are worth, divide the price in cash by the number of miles required. For example, a round-trip flight from Los Angeles to Dallas in February 2021 cost around $166 or 9,000 miles, which yields a value of about 1.8 cents per mile.
In addition to helping you save on flights, there are other Delta Platinum Amex benefits for travelers.
- Get your first checked bag free when you fly Delta flights
- Receive Main Cabin 1 priority boarding on Delta flights
- Get a domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion ticket every year, not valid for flights outside the continental United States
- Get a $100 statement credit for Global Entry or an $85 statement credit for TSA PreCheck
- Get access to the Delta Sky Club for $39 per person when traveling on a Delta flight
- Earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles, up to twice per year, after making $25,000 in transactions in a calendar year
- Get 20 percent back on in-flight purchases of beverages, food and headsets
The card also provides trip delay insurance, car rental damage and loss insurance, baggage insurance and a 24/7 Delta Platinum global assist phone hotline.
Get purchase protection on covered purchases for up to 90 days from the purchase date as well as an extended warranty for warranties of five years or less on covered purchases.
Get access to ticket presales and cardmember-only events like concerts, sporting events and Broadway shows.
Rates and fees
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card has a 15.74 percent to 24.74 percent purchase variable APR. The annual membership fee is $250 for this card. There is no foreign transaction fee or over-limit fee. Penalty fees for late and returned payments are up to $40.
How the Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card compares to other travel cards
Depending on where your airline loyalty lies, you may be better served with certain other airline-specific cards. The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®, for example, provides benefits to American Airlines frequent flyers. These include 50,000 bonus miles after making $2,500 in transactions within the first three months and 2x miles on American Airlines purchases and transactions made at restaurants and gas stations. Plus, there’s no annual fee for the first 12 months. After that, it’s only $99.
If you want travel benefits but don’t want to be tied to one airline, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card credit is for you. The card has an annual fee of $95, but the 60,000 bonus points after making $4,000 in transactions within the first three months are worth up to $750 when redeemed for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. You also get 2x points on travel and dining and earn 25 percent more value on travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Best cards to pair with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
If you’re a Delta loyalist, this very well may be a great addition to your wallet, since you can rack up points on flights and hotel purchases. But if you’re not particularly loyal to Delta, it could make sense to hold another airline credit card, or a travel rewards card that earns transferable points for more flexibility.
To maximize all your purchases, and especially ones that don’t fall into the travel, grocery stores and restaurants category, you might look into getting a cash-back credit card with no annual fee like the Discover it® Cash Back. It awards you with 5 percent cash back on rotating categories each quarter you activate (on up to $1,500 in combined spending and then 1 percent), plus a Cashback Match bonus after the first year of using the card.
Bankrate’s take—Is the Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card worth it?
If you fly with Delta at least a couple of times a year, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card may be worth the annual fee. The $39 Delta Platinum Amex lounge access and priority boarding alone could make your flights go more smoothly, plus the waived checked bag fee for the first bag on each flight is another nice perk.
But depending on the airlines you like to fly with, you may be better off getting a more versatile travel rewards credit card. If your spending habits are more focused on non-travel categories, a cash-back credit card with no annual fee may be a better fit.
- Numerous travel perks, including discounted lounge access, priority boarding and coverage for trip delays, car rentals and baggage.
- Qualification toward Medallion Status and discounts on in-flight purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Get enough bonus miles to cover one flight or more when you meet spending requirements on the card.
- The $250 annual fee may not be worth it.
- You may be able to get better travel perks, plus have more travel flexibility, with a more general travel credit card.
The information about the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® has been collected independently by Bankrate.com. The card details have not been reviewed or approved by the card issuer.