This card earns 3X points on hotel and air travel, as well as on other favored categories, including restaurants, supermarkets and gas stations. Additionally, non-category purchases earn a standard 1X points.
For individuals looking to spend moderately within these categories, the Citi Premier Card is a valuable rewards card option. Keep reading to learn more about the Citi Premier Card’s benefits, including its flexible rewards program, significant sign-up bonus and annual hotel savings perk.
Citi Premier Card Highlights
- Rewards: 3X points on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, hotel and air travel purchases; 1X points on all other purchases
- Welcome bonus: 60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Annual fee: $95
- Variable APR: 16.74 percent to 24.74 percent
The Citi Premier Card earns points within the Citi ThankYou rewards program. By owning the Citi Premier, you earn 3X points on air travel and hotel purchases, as well as at gas stations, restaurants and supermarkets. Anything outside of those categories will still earn 1X points. This card offers a great rewards structure for those interested in travel but also looking to earn rewards in everyday categories.
Points earned with the Citi Premier can be redeemed in a number of ways. These include redeeming for cash back, statement credits, gift cards, payments toward student loans or mortgages, shopping via Amazon and PayPal and charitable contributions.
What’s also noteworthy about the Citi Premier Card is that the ThankYou points earned from purchases can be combined with points earned with the other Citi credit cards, including the Citi Prestige® Card, Citi Rewards+® Card, Citi® Double Cash Card and Citi Custom Cash℠ Card. If you already own one of the above cards, opening the Citi Premier Card would allow you to combine points earned between the two (potentially increasing your points’ value if you’re transferring from a card that earns “basic” ThankYou points).
Travel and entertainment benefits
$100 annual hotel savings benefit
If booked with your card through thankyou.com (or 1-800-THANKYOU), Citi offers Premier cardholders an annual $100 discount on a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees). Due to this perk, you won’t have to worry about whether you’re earning enough points to offset the $95 annual fee associated with the card.
No foreign transaction fees
There are also no foreign transaction fees associated with the Citi Premier Card, while other cards charge a 3 percent fee on foreign transactions. If you were to spend $1,000 outside of the United States, for example, you’d save 30 percent.
Citi Premier cardholders can utilize Citi Concierge. This dedicated phone line will connect you to an expert at any time—whether you need help with dinner reservations, vacation planning or purchasing concert tickets.
As a Premier cardholder, you can get access to special events (such as concerts, dining experiences and sporting events) with Citi Entertainment. Your access is free, but you’ll still have to pay for the experience.
Security and protection benefits
If an item purchased with your Citi Premier Card is damaged or stolen within 90 days of the purchase date, you can receive up to $10,000 per incident with a maximum of $50,000 per year.
If you purchase a product with your Citi Premier Card that has a manufacturer’s warranty of five years or less, Citi will extend that warranty for 24 months. However, there is a $10,000 limit per item.
World Elite Mastercard perks
Since the Citi Premier Card is also a World Elite Mastercard, you’ll get additional Mastercard benefits as a cardholder. Here are a few of the best perks:
- Up to $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance
- 5 percent to 25 percent off car rentals from Avis, National and Sixt
- Up to $3,000 reimbursement per trip when your bags get lost in transit
- Free ShopRunner membership
- $5 Lyft credit if you take at least three rides a month
- If you find a lower price for an item within 120 days of purchase, receive a reimbursement for the difference
- Up to $1,000 in yearly coverage for theft and/or damages if you pay your cellphone bill with the Citi Premier
How to maximize the benefits offered by the Citi Premier Card
Knowing how to make the most out of a credit card will help you to determine its long-term value for you as a cardholder. The suggestions below can help you maximize the value of your Citi Premier Card.
- Add an authorized user. Adding authorized users to your Citi Premier Card is free, and their purchases will still earn you points. There is no annual fee for additional authorized users, either.
- Pay off balances. Because the Citi Premier Card does not offer a 0 percent introductory APR period, it is recommended to pay off balances and avoid the card’s variable APR of 16.74 percent to 24.74 percent.
- Transfer to Citi travel partners. Take part in transfer partner opportunities in order to boost the value of your points. When transferred to a partner airline or hotel, Citi ThankYou points can be worth up to 1.7 cents apiece, according to valuations from The Points Guy.
The bottom line
Overall, the Citi Premier Card is a solid travel rewards card option, allowing you to earn points through the ThankYou rewards program. Using this card will not only earn you travel rewards, but also points for eating out, filling up the tank and buying groceries.
By making yourself familiar with the benefits of the Citi Premier Card, like the $100 annual hotel savings benefit and access to Citi Entertainment, you’ll be able to determine if it is a good fit for you and how to maximize its value.