American Express offers a range of sought after rewards and travel credit cards which allow cardmembers to earn lucrative cash back, points and miles on each purchase. But American Express cardmembers can benefit from another feature to rack up even more rewards and earn discounts with retailers, restaurants and more: Amex Offers.
If you want to make the most of your American Express credit cards, here’s how Amex Offers can help you maximize your spending.
What are Amex Offers?
The Amex Offers program offers activation-based discounts or rewards on purchases that American Express cardholders make with specific merchants. These offers vary from card to card, and the same offers may not be available to everyone at the same time.
While many Amex Offers come in the form of discounts or cash back, others may offer additional Membership Rewards points on specific purchases.
Here are a few examples of recent Amex Offers:
- Get 10 percent back on FedEx shipping, up to $800
- Get 15 percent back on 1-800-Flowers purchases
- Get 10 percent back at GrubHub.com or Seamless.com, up to $75
Amex Offers vary widely and may or may not apply to your regular spending habits. Limitations on the amount you can earn may also be highly variable, and expiration dates apply for each offer you add to your card.
These offers also change often, meaning the discounts that you find on your account today may no longer be available tomorrow or next week. If you find an offer that interests you, it’s best to go ahead and add it to your card as soon as you see it.
Amex Offers are incredibly valuable for a few reasons:
- These offers let you earn additional cash back or rewards on top of the rewards you already earn with an Amex rewards credit card
- Amex Offers are easy to add to your credit card account and use
- There are no penalties if you forget to use an offer before its expiration date
- You’ll get your Amex Offers reward or discount automatically after you meet the requirements for the offer
How to use Amex Offers
Amex Offers may be variable, but they are extremely easy to use and apply. All you have to do to activate an offer is log into your online account or American Express mobile app. From there, find Amex Offers you’re interested in and click on “Add to Card” for each one.
Once you’ve added an offer to your card, you’ll automatically earn the cash back or rewards when you make an eligible purchase within the offer’s terms. You don’t need to do anything else to redeem your offer other than use the credit card the offer is added to for your purchase.
Still, you should beware of the fine print. Amex Offers have expiration dates to keep track of and many apply limits as well. For example, you may get 10 percent back on purchases at a select retailer, but the maximum amount you get back could be limited to just $10 or $20.
Sometimes you may even have to hit a spending threshold in order to earn a reward. For example, a recent Amex Offer from California Pizza Kitchen gave cardholders a $15 statement credit, but only on a single purchase of $50 or more before the expiration date.
You’ll want to be proactive about reading the rules of each offer to ensure you meet all the requirements before the expiration date; otherwise, you could miss out.
Still, even if you’re unable to use an offer you applied to your card, you can rest assured that there is no penalty for activating an offer and not using it. Any Amex Offer you add to your credit card will simply disappear from your account once the expiration date passes.
Which credit cards have Amex Offers?
Amex Offers work with any American Express credit card, including business credit cards and co-branded credit cards with hotels and airlines, and these offers are awarded on top of the rewards you earn on regular spending.
While any American Express credit card can qualify for Amex Offers, here are some details to consider:
|Card Name||Rewards earned||New cardmember offer||Annual fee|
|American Express® Gold Card||4X points on dining worldwide and U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X); 3X points on flights booked directly with the airline or through Amextravel.com||Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 6 months.||$250|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||5X points on airfare booked through AmexTravel.com as well as airfare booked with airlines (Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year) and 5X points on hotels booked through AmexTravel.com; 1X points on other purchases||60,000 points when you spend $5,000 within three months of account opening||$550|
|The Blue Business® Plus Card from American Express||Earn 2X points on up to $50,000 in spending each year, then 1X points||N/A||$0|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||Earn 6% back on select U.S. streaming services and at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 in spending) each year then 1%, 3% back at U.S. gas stations and on transit and 1% back on other purchases||Limited Time Offer: Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months. Offer Expires 12/10/2020||Limited Time Offer: $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. Offer Expires 12/10/2020|
|The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express||Earn 2X points on up to $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each year (then 1X points) and 1X points on other purchases; also earn 20% bonus rewards each billing period you make at least 20 purchases with your credit card||10,000 points when you spend $1,000 within three months of account opening||$0|
Maximize spending with Amex Offers
Amex Offers can be fruitful for your regular spending, but these additional steps may help you maximize Amex Offers further, along with other benefits and rewards your credit cards offer.
- Add any Amex Offers to your card you may use even if you’re not sure. Some offers limit enrollment, so you shouldn’t assume an offer will be there later if you need it. Go ahead and add any offers you might use to your cards before they’re gone if there’s a chance you might use it.
- Check all your American Express credit cards to see how offers vary. You may get the same offer on multiple cards with higher or lower amounts of rewards or cash back. With that in mind, you should compare your Amex Offers across all the American Express credit cards you have in order to find the most lucrative one (especially if it aligns with your rewards categories).
- Activate offers on credit cards with bonus categories. Double up on offers and rewards when you get the chance. If you see an Amex Offer for Delta Air Lines and you have a co-branded Delta credit card or a Hilton offer for your Hilton co-branded card, for example, you could take advantage of the Amex Offer and earn more airline miles or hotel points for each dollar you spend.
- Keep track of your cards and offers in one place. Finally, things can quickly get confusing if you’re pursuing multiple Amex Offers on multiple cards. To make sure you use the right card to trigger the Amex Offer you want, consider keeping a simple list of which offers are on which cards along with the expiration date for each.
- Stack rewards using shopping portals. Occasionally, online shopping portals, like Sky Miles Shopping from Delta or Rakuten may offer discounts with the same merchants as Amex Offers. Double up on your cash back by clicking through the portal to shop, then making your purchase using the card with an activated eligible offer.
Amex Offers is easy to use, free and can help you maximize your credit card rewards earnings even more. And other credit card issuers have unveiled similar programs, such as Chase Offers feature, so be sure to check each of your online card accounts to get the most value from your regular purchases.