How do you feel about the amount of debt you have compared to 12 months ago?
- 31 to 21 percent: Men were much more likely to be more comfortable with their debt than women.
- 37 percent: Those earning more than $75,000 were most likely to feel more comfortable.
- There were slight declines for the number of people who felt more comfortable and those who were less comfortable.
Have I made only minimum payments …
President, Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies
If you aren't sure about how much debt you should have, ask yourself these questions: Do I charge at least one of my credit cards up to its limit every month? Do my total payments on installment debt exceed 75 percent of my monthly take-home pay? Would my savings run out in less than six months if I lost my job? Have I made only minimum payments on one or more credit cards for the past two months? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should get help to establish a budget now.
- Which debt should I pay first?
- What will it take to pay off my credit card debt?
- Is credit counseling right for you?
- Calculate how to pay debt off faster
- A calculator for building a home budget
- Are you a credit risk? Take this quiz