Tax Basics: Table of contents
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
Chapter 1: Withholding
For most folks, taxes start with withholding. See if you’re doing it right.
- Filling out your W-4
- Form W-4: the beginning of your working life
- Working through the W-4 worksheet
- Understanding and avoiding underwithholding
- Checking and adjusting your withholding
Chapter 2: Forms and filing
Learn the nitty-gritty of finding whether you have to file, and if so on what form and with which tax table.
- Filing your return
- Do I have to file?
- Finding your filing status
- Choosing the correct form
- Determining taxable income
- Tax rates, or just how much do I owe?
- When to file
- Special filing circumstances
Chapter 3: Deductions
You had better know your deductions if you want to pay the least amount of tax.
- Deductions: the first step to cutting your tax bill
- The standard deduction amount
- Itemized deductions
- Above-the-line deductions
Chapter 4: Credits
Credits are even better than deductions, because they reduce taxes more. Know which ones you qualify for.
- Tax credits: the better way to cut your tax bill
- Earned income tax credit
- Child-related tax credits
- Education tax credits
- Retirement saver’s credit
Chapter 5: Life events and taxes
Plan to own a home? Raise a family? Start a business? As your life changes, so will your tax needs.
- Your changing tax life
- Marriage and taxes
- Homeownership and your taxes
- And baby makes for more tax considerations
- Investment income
- Self-employment tax considerations
- Death and taxes: the inevitable
Chapter 6: Closing details
These are the little details that are the difference between owing and not owing the IRS.