American Express® Business Blueprint™ loans: 2023 review
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
At a glance
|Overview||American Express Business Blueprint™ offers business lines of credit in all 50 U.S. states and territories. They’re available to small business owners with fair credit but feature a pricing structure that could get expensive.|
|Loan amount:||$2,000 to $250,000|
|Monthly draw fees:||3.00% to 9.00% (6-month loans), 6.00% to 18.00% (12-month loans), 9.00% to 27.00% (18-month loans)|
|Term lengths:||6, 12 or 18 months|
|Minimum credit score:||640|
Who American Express Business Blueprint is best for
Who American Express Business Blueprint may not be best for
This isn't a good fit if you’re a new business owner or anyone with a poor credit score. American Express requires fair credit and at least one year in business before you can qualify for a loan.
American Express Business Blueprint pros and cons
Automated online process
Requires a personal guarantee and business assets
Not available to new business owners
Monthly fees could get expensive
Business loan types offeredAmerican Express offers a line of credit. All businesses are unique and are subject to approval and review.
American Express Business Line of Credit
With an American Express business line of credit, you’ll get access to funds as needed. You’ll only pay a monthly fee on the amount you borrow, and there are no early repayment penalties.
Loan eligibility requirements are fairly relaxed. It’s open to people with fair credit who have been in business for at least a year and only requires an average minimum monthly revenue of at least $3,000.
Credit limits range from $2,000 to $250,000, and each time you access funds, it counts as a separate loan with its own loan agreement, need for a personal guarantee and loan fees.
Loan fees start low but only if you can pay off your loan within 6 months. If you need 18 months to pay back your debt, fees range between 9 percent and 27 percent. And since this is Amex’s proprietary fee structure, it’s not easy to compare to business lines of credit with interest rates.
Do you qualify?
Here's what it takes to meet Amex's relaxed eligibility requirements:
- Age: 18
- Credit score: 640
- Time in business: At least one year
- Average monthly revenue: At least $3,000
- Industry limitations: Not specified
What we like and what we don’t like
Applying for a business line of credit from American Express Business Blueprint is simple, and you’ll know what to expect regarding borrowing costs right away.
What we like
- Accessible. Amex’s eligibility requirements are more relaxed than other lenders, especially its minimum revenue requirements.
- Automated online process. You won’t fill out a lengthy application or have to apply by phone or in person at a bank.
- Minimal fees. Borrowers do not pay loan origination fees, prepayment penalties or maintenance fees.
What we don't like
- Requires a personal guarantee and business assets. On top of a personal guarantee, Amex requires you to secure your loan with business assets. Not all lenders require both for a line of credit.
- Not available to new business owners. Access to funding is limited to small business owners who’ve been operating for a year or more.
- Monthly fees could get expensive. Amex’s proprietary fee structure charges higher rates the longer it takes you to pay off your loan.
How to apply for a loan with American Express Business BlueprintWhen you’re ready to apply for a Business Blueprint line of credit, visit the website and select the “Apply now” button to get started. You'll need to provide:
If you have an American Express account, you can sign in, and your profile will be prefilled with information.
- Your name and business name
- Your personal address and phone number
- Your business address and phone number
- Your business tax ID
- Your industry
American Express Business Blueprint FAQs
How Bankrate rates American Express Business Blueprint
Overall Score 4.5 Accessibility 4.8 Amex’s eligibility requirements help make this line of credit more accessible than other lines of credit. Affordability 4.0 Amex doesn’t charge a number of fees found with other business lines of credit. Transparency 4.6 Amex provides a decent amount of costs and eligibility requirements on its website. Customer experience 5.0 Amex’s streamlined application process, customer service options and app give it an edge over other lenders. Flexibility 3.8 Amex only offers one loan product.
To select the top small business lenders, Bankrate considers more than 20 factors. These factors include loan amounts, approval and funding times, credit requirements, APR or factor rate ranges, fees, and easy-to-find rate and fee disclosures. Bankrate reviewed more than 20 lenders and gave each a rating, which consists of five categories:
- Accessibility: Factors considered in this category include minimum loan amounts, approval and funding speed, minimum annual revenue and minimum credit score.
- Affordability: This section measures interest or factor rates and fees.
- Transparency: How easy it is to find important rates, fees and eligibility requirements are considered in this category.
- Customer experience: Customer service hours, online applications and app availability are considered in this category.
- Flexibility: This category considers factors like the number of loan products and ability to change payment due date.
Editorial disclosure: All reviews are prepared by Bankrate.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the lender’s website for the most current information.