Car loan chains woman to freeloading ex

Bankrate Logo

Why you can trust Bankrate

While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .

Dear Terry,
I have a car loan with my ex. He has the car at this time and once again is not paying for it.

Do I have any option to get my name off of this car since I have not had it for almost three years? The loan was signed as “AND,” not “OR.” Is there anything I can do now, or do I have to wait until the car is found by the loan company?


Dear Cassandra,
Unfortunately, you’re stuck, unless you have something in your divorce decree that mitigates the situation.

You need to make clear to the lender that you’re willing (assuming you are) to bring the loan up to date once you have possession.

You probably need to consult your divorce attorney about getting an agreement that your ex won’t try to take possession of the car unless he makes the payments.

Here are this week’s reader questions:
Dealer woes put buyers in driver’s seat
Would I still owe after voluntary repo?
Should I pay off my car note?
Am I stuck with ex’s loan?

If you have a question for Terry, e-mail him at
Driving for Dollars. Save money on your car — sign up for Bankrate’s new weekend
Car & Money newsletter.