Purchasing homeowners insurance can be an important step in protecting your finances, yet picking the right provider for your needs can feel like a daunting process. If you experience difficulty assessing your home’s risk on your own, Swyfft, an inventive new insurance company, may be right for you. The company uses a patented process to assess risk based on your address and gives you a personalized quote in only a few seconds.
If you live in one of Swyfft’s homeowners insurance coverage areas — Alabama, Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York or Texas — and are searching for an insurance policy tailored to your needs, Swyfft may be right for you. Below, Bankrate lays out the company’s coverage options, potential discounts, financial strength and more.
Swyfft homeowners insurance
Swyfft homeowners insurance sets itself apart from the competition by using a patented risk assessment process to generate personalized premiums. Despite its tech-savvy approach, Swyfft may not be for everyone. Below, Bankrate’s insurance editorial team discusses the pros and cons of this cutting-edge provider to help you make your choice.
Types of coverage
Swyfft offers a broad array of varying insurance policies that provide a wide range of different coverages, including:
- Dwelling: If you need to repair or replace the framing, roof, countertops, cabinets, flooring, walls or other structural elements of the home after a covered loss, Swyfft’s homeowners’ insurance policies could cover the cost of these repairs.
- Other structures: This coverage is offered for structures not attached to the home, including storage sheds, barns, detached garages and guest homes.
- Personal property: If your personal property is damaged, the coverage is designed to cover the cost of replacement. This coverage extends to your personal belongings as well as personal property that may be located outside and items that may be in your child’s possession while away at college.
- Living expenses: Should your home be damaged beyond livability, Swyfft’s insurance policies can cover the expense of staying in a hotel while you wait for the damage to be repaired. The company may even cover the cost of boarding for your pets if need be.
- Personal liability: If someone you know is hurt or incurs property damage while visiting your home and they file a lawsuit, the personal liability coverage offered by Swyfft could pay for the cost of an attorney for your defense.
- Medical expenses: Swyfft might pay for the cost of medical expenses incurred as a result of someone being injured while on your property.
Swyfft’s homeowners’ insurance policies are currently available in six states. These states include:
- New Jersey
- New York
Keep in mind that if you do not live in one of these states, Swyfft may extend its insurance coverage to additional states in the future.
While other insurance carriers may draw you in with promises of special discounts, Swyfft does not make this information public (at least not on its website). You can always call to inquire about possible discounts Swyfft may have.
When you call to inquire about special discounts, ask the following questions:
- Are discounts offered for certain home safety features?
- Are deductible savings available if you remain claim-free?
- Are there special savings available by bundling coverages?
- Are discounts available if you make home improvements?
- Are there special rates offered to those who are retired?
- Are discounts offered for new homes?
Even though there may not be a special rate advertised, you may still be able to save on your insurance premium by asking these questions. Many insurance carriers offer discounted rates when homeowners meet specific criteria.
Swyfft ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction & complaints
Swyfft is a fairly new company — only six years old at the time of this article — and does not yet have ratings from J.D. Power. However, AM Best gives Swyfft an A- rating for financial strength. Many customers choose Swyfft for its innovative and technological approach to insurance.
Despite high ratings from AM Best, Swyfft has had some consumer complaints. The most common complaint consumers have is with the claims process: It’s somewhat ambiguous how the claims process works, and being that Swyfft is a company that highly prioritizes technology, it often relies on drones and electronic claims filing rather than sending out human inspectors. This process is meant to strengthen the accuracy of claims; however, some customers feel the reliance on technology has impacted their ability to get approval on legitimate claims.
Reasons why Swyfft is a good option for insurance
While Swyfft may not be a good fit for customers who prefer to work with in-person agents, the company could be an excellent option for homeowners seeking innovative insurance coverage.
Additionally, Swyfft uses patented analytics and data sources to provide more accurate risk assessments for those seeking homeowners’ insurance. Because of this advanced technology, Swyfft is able to provide “lightning-fast” quotes in a matter of seconds using just your address.
Additional policies offered by Swyfft
Being such a new company, Swyfft’s policy offerings are limited outside of homeowners’ insurance. However, the company does provide commercial insurance coverage for the following:
- Apartment buildings
- Condominium associations
- Shopping center owners and operators
- Office buildings
Commercial insurance coverage is currently offered in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
Frequently asked questions
What does homeowners insurance cover?
In general, homeowners insurance covers your home, personal property, personal liability and medical payments. However, there are many other areas in which Swyfft can provide coverage, including living expenses and additional structures that exist on your property.
What is Swyfft’s financial strength rating?
Swyfft only provides insurance policies that are underwritten by carriers rated an A- or higher by AM Best. This is done strategically as Swyfft feels that carriers who receive such a rating exhibit a stronger likelihood of being able to pay claims.
Can I make online payments?
Nearly every encounter one will have with Swyfft happens online — and payments are no exception. To make a payment through Swyfft’s online portal, you’ll need to select “Make a Payment” in the main menu, enter your policy number and ZIP code, and submit your payment information. You can also elect to enroll in auto-pay so you never miss a payment.
How do I file a claim?
Customers are welcome to submit their claims online through the Claims Center.
How can I save money with Swyfft?
While Swyfft does not publicly advertise discounts, it may be possible to save money through being claim-free or making home improvements. The best way to figure out how to save is to call Swyfft and ask what money-saving opportunities are available to you.