Hippo is a startup insurance carrier that uses artificial intelligence to safeguard its home and condo insurance policyholders across the U.S. The Palo Alto, California-based publicly traded insurtech company uses a modern approach to offer innovative coverages and a host of available discounts. The property carrier even offers a free smart home kit to eligible customers, with a discount built in as soon as it is activated.
With Hippo’s technology-driven approach, you can generate a home insurance quote via its website in about a minute. But is Hippo’s insurance right for you? Bankrate’s insurance editorial team has reviewed the company’s coverage options, discounts and third-party rankings to help you make an educated decision about your insurance coverage.
Hippo home insurance
Hippo understands how reliant modern customers are on technology. The company offers tech-savvy coverage options, like increased limits on electronics and appliances, that might help you feel more secure in your property insurance coverage.
Types of coverage
Home insurance policies are packages of numerous coverages. Hippo offers several types of home insurance policies, so you have options to choose the policy that fits your needs.
In addition to standard home insurance coverages like dwelling, personal property, liability coverage and additional living expenses, Hippo offers several unique options that you may be able to add to your policy for extra protection:
- Computer and home office coverage: Hippo offers four times the limit provided by most other property insurers for your computer and home office equipment. This may be especially appealing if you are a virtual employee working from home.
- Water backup coverage: If water backs up in a sewer or drain line and damages your home or belongings, this coverage is designed to pay for the damages up to your policy limit.
- Appliances and electronics coverage: Hippo knows that homes are more technologically advanced than they used to be. You may be able to get coverage for your appliance systems and electronics.
- Enhanced rebuilding cost: If your home is destroyed, you may purchase up to 25% more than your dwelling limit to rebuild it to ensure you are financially protected from the escalating costs of labor and construction materials.
- Personal property replacement cost: This option is designed to pay for the full replacement cost of your belongings rather than factoring in depreciation (actual cash value).
- Jewelry and valuables: Protects you from theft of high-value items, including expensive jewelry, fine art and collectables.
- Service line coverage: If the water, gas or sewer lines between your house and the street are damaged or worn, this extra coverage may help pay for the repairs.
- Hippo Home Care: Although this is not considered insurance coverage, Hippo offers an exclusive Home Care maintenance program that can help you fix problems around the house, hire contractors and get recommendations for professionals in your area.
Because Hippo writes coverage in 37 states, options could vary depending on where you live. The best way to determine what coverages are available to you is to get a quote online or talk to a Hippo independent insurance agent.
Hippo home insurance discounts
Hippo offers numerous ways for you to reduce your premium. And to help you achieve the best rate possible, Hippo calculates the discounts you qualify for during the online quote process.
- Early signing discount: If you purchase a Hippo home insurance policy at least eight days before it goes into effect, you might earn a discount.
- HOA discount: If your home falls under the governance of a homeowners association, you may qualify for a discount on your home or condo insurance policy. This is because HOA quality standards may make homes less susceptible to damage or theft.
- New home discount: If your home is newly built or you have purchased your home within the last 12 months, you might save on your premium.
- No mortgage discount: If you are mortgage-free, you may qualify for this discount on your home insurance.
- Smart home discount: Hippo provides discounts for homes with smart devices such as smart alarm systems and smoke detectors. Hippo has partnered with Xfinity to offer even greater savings for its customers. Xfinity cable TV, internet and phone customers qualify for a special homeowners rate with Hippo and can earn discounts up to 25%, depending on the number of Xfinity smart home devices they install in their homes. If you qualify, Hippo may even send you a free smart home kit and give you a discount once it is activated.
Just like Hippo’s coverage options, available discounts may vary depending on where you live in the U.S.
Where does Hippo offer home insurance?
Hippo is continually expanding its reach across the country, with homeowners coverage available in 37 states. Coverage is not currently offered in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Montana, New York, North Dakota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Wyoming, as well as Washington, D.C.
The availability of products, coverages and discounts may vary by state.
In June 2020, Hippo acquired Spinnaker Insurance Company, a nationwide property insurance company licensed in all 50 states. Although Spinnaker will continue to operate independently, the insurer will underwrite some of Hippo’s policies, enabling Hippo to expand its market.
Hippo and Metromile bundling partnership
In May 2021, Hippo and Metromile announced a partnership to provide consumers with a bundling discount. Hippo exclusively sells home and condo insurance, while Metromile sells pay-per-mile auto insurance. By purchasing your home or condo coverage from Hippo and your auto coverage from Metromile, you may qualify for a multi-policy discount of up to 15% on both policies.
Hippo ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Hippo’s insurance policies are underwritten by Canopius U.S. Insurance, Spinnaker Insurance Company and Topa Insurance Company. All three companies have earned an A- (Excellent) financial strength rating with AM Best. Additionally, Hippo is financially backed by major reinsurers with more than $200 billion in assets.
Of over 2,000 reviews posted on its website, Hippo is rated 4.9 out of 5.0. Customers say the coverage is affordable, easy to obtain and that Hippo’s customer service agents are responsive and helpful.
Who is Hippo Insurance a good option for
Hippo home insurance is a great choice for tech-savvy consumers who own a smart home and people who work virtually from home. Hippo allows you to obtain increased coverage for computers, home office equipment, technology and appliances, which could be helpful for customers living in tech-equipped homes. Hippo’s Xfinity partnership offers significant savings by providing reduced rates for Xfinity customers and discounts for expanded smart home systems.
Frequently asked questions
Why do I get a discount for smart home devices?
Insurance premiums are based on risk. Smart home devices may serve as an early warning system for dangerous situations, like smoke, fires, water damage and home invasions. The early warning could help you to mitigate the damage, meaning that the insurance company will have less damage to pay for during a claim. Because of the reduced risk, you may qualify for a discount.
How does Hippo handle insurance claims?
You can file a Hippo claim 24/7 by phone (855-999-9746) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your case will be assigned to a Claims Concierge. This person will be your sole point of contact during the claim process, so you know exactly who to go to with questions and concerns. Your Claims Concierge will explain the claim process and let you know how to proceed at each step. Hippo also has a preferred partner network of home repair professionals.
Does Hippo sell auto insurance?
Hippo only sells home and condo insurance. However, Hippo and Metromile recently partnered to offer their customers a bundling discount on property and auto insurance coverage. If you purchase your home or condo insurance with Hippo and your auto insurance with Metromile, you may earn significant discounts on both policies.
Does a Hippo home policy cover hurricane wind damage?
In hurricane-prone states along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, Hippo’s homeowners policies include a separate windstorm deductible for named tropical cyclones, which typically runs 1-5% of the insured value of your property.
Do Hippo policies include earthquake and flood coverage?
Similar to most U.S. property insurers, Hippo’s standard home and condo policies do not include earthquake or flood coverage. However, a Hippo independent agent can provide you with options for purchasing this coverage.
Does Hippo offer other insurance products besides homeowners and condo owners?
Hippo offers a commercial package policy that includes coverage for commercial property, data breach, general liability and commercial auto liability. The company also insures homeowners and condo associations, and offers landlord coverage.