Erie Insurance, founded in Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1925, offers auto, homeowners and other insurance policies.
Erie continues to build a strong reputation, as they climbed five spots in the latest Fortune 500 list. They also earned an A+ rating with A.M. Best for financial strength and they’ve won multiple J.D. Power awards including first place in U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction in 2018.
Erie insurance is fantastic for those looking for affordable rates, excellent customer service and a wide variety of insurance solutions. If you bundle your auto with other policies from Erie, you could save up to 25%.
Erie car insurance coverage options and discounts
When getting your Erie insurance quote, consider these types of auto insurance coverage you may want to include on your policy.
- Erie Rate Lock keeps premiums the same year to year until making policy changes such as adding or removing a vehicle, changing drivers on the policy or moving.
- First Accident Forgiveness erases the surcharge for policyholders, with Erie for three years or longer, for their first at-fault accident.
- Diminishing Deductible reduces deductibles by $100 for each claims-free policy year up to a $500 maximum.
- Bundled Coverages lets policyholders expand coverage to multiple cars for pennies a day.
- Transportation Expense/Rental Car Coverage provides rental car coverage when a car is disabled due to situations such as fire, theft or damage. Rental car coverage following a collision requires additional coverage. Upgraded rental car classes have higher premium rates.
- Emergency Roadside Service coverage helps with lockouts, flat tires, dead batteries, tows and more. The service is an add-on with no deductible and available 24-7.
- New Car Protection replaces a vehicle less than 24 months old, which is a total loss in an accident, with a new vehicle of the latest model year.
- Better Car Protection replaces a totaled vehicle with a vehicle two years newer.
- Ridesharing is a coverage add-on when using a private vehicle for rideshare companies such as Uber or Lyft.
- Pet Coverage provides up to $500 per pet and a total limit of $1,000 for veterinarian care if a pet is hurt in a car accident.
Save on your Erie insurance quote with discounts including:
- Multi-policy Discounts policyholders with multiple vehicles or multiple policies may qualify for discounts from 16-25%. Erie’s multi-policy discount varies by state.
- Safety Savings Discounts apply to vehicles with features such as airbags, anti-theft devices and anti-lock brakes.
- Youthful Driver Discounts apply for unmarried drivers under 21 who live with their parents.
- Driving Training Discounts apply for drivers under 21 who complete an accredited driver training course.
- Reduced usage discount: If you don’t drive your car for 90 consecutive days, you could qualify for a discount.
Erie home insurance coverage options and discounts
Home insurance coverage options from Erie include:
- Structure Coverage protects a home’s exterior from weather, fire and other damage with insurance to rebuild at current construction costs.
- Personal Property Coverage protects items and property from damage, theft and loss.
- Liability Coverage protects policyholders from injuries to someone or damage to someone else’s property.
- Home Business Protection is coverage for a business run out of your home.
- Add On Coverage for garages, sheds, other structures on a property, computers, electronic equipment, firearms, jewelry and valuables, sewers, drains and sump pumps.
Erie’s home insurance discounts include:
- Smoke alarm, burglary alarm, and automatic sprinkler system credit for such systems installed in a home.
- Advanced quote discount for renewing a policy before your renewal deadline.
- Multi-policy discount for customers who bundle a qualified life insurance policy with their Erie car and homeowners policies.
Erie renters insurance coverage options and discounts
Renters can receive coverage options such as:
- Living expenses: If your apartment is uninhabitable due to damage, you’ll receive living expenses related to the hotel, Airbnb or other apartment accommodations, moving expenses and more.
- Liability protection: This covers anyone who might incur injury in an accident in your rental.
- Personal property: This additional coverage option ensures you have coverage for your stuff no matter where you go.
Renters can receive discounts from Erie for:
- Bundling policies: Combining your renters insurance policy with your auto will earn you a generous discount.
Erie ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Erie Insurance’s user rating on Consumers Advocate is 3.6 out of 5 or “very good.”
J.D. Power awarded Erie a third-place tie in the 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. Erie Insurance customer service earned an overall satisfaction score of 879 out of 1,000. In addition, Erie scored 880 out of 1,000, placing them second among mid-sized insurers in the 2020 J.D. Power U.S. Insurance Shopping Study.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners gives Erie a rating of 8 out of 10 for auto claims satisfaction and customer experience. Erie has an A+ rating with the BBB, however, the Erie Insurance customer satisfaction rating on BBB is poor rating, at less than 2 out of 5 stars.
The company’s financial rating is an A+ by A.M. Best, indicating Erie has excellent financial health.
Additional policies offered by Erie
In addition to home and car insurance from Erie, customers can also opt-in to these policies.
- Rental income protection
- Motorcycle, RV, boat, ATV, snowmobile, golf cart
- Classic/collectible/custom-built car
- Mobile home
- Personal valuables
- Long-term care rider
- Personal catastrophe liability
- Business auto
Reasons why Erie is a great option
Erie Insurance has a long history with proven financial stability and assets, making it a Fortune 500 company. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for high-quality auto, home or renters insurance policies at affordable prices.
Furthermore, when you bundle your policies you can save significantly. And when you need them, Erie is among the best in processing claims.
Frequently asked questions
How do I file a claim with Erie?
Contact your local Erie agent for help filing a claim. A few, but not all, services are available online.
How do I find a repair shop in Erie’s Direct Repair Program network?
Go to Erie’s repair shop finder and search by ZIP code.
Which states does Erie Insurance cover?
Erie Insurance currently covers 12 states including Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, West Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Does Erie offer accident forgiveness?
Yes, they do. They offer accident forgiveness where you won’t incur a surcharge if you’ve been involved in an accident. The only caveat is that in certain states you must be an Erie customer for three years to qualify.