Elephant Insurance Company, a subsidiary of United Kingdom insurer Admiral Group, opened for business in the United States in 2009. Admiral boasts 6.5 million customers in eight countries and is listed in the Financial Time Stock Exchange 100 Index of the London Stock Exchange. Elephant operates from its headquarters in Richmond, Virginia. Although it’s the new kid on the block, Elephant offers an impressive portfolio of insurance products, including automobile, home and life insurance policies.
As an online insurance company, Elephant caters to the needs of young adults, offering account management tools that policyholders can access from the convenience of their computers or mobile devices. See if Elephant Insurance is the right provider for you.
Elephant insurance coverage options and discounts
Elephant Insurance policies are offered in 14 states, including, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. The provider offers several types of property insurance, including car, home and life insurance policies.
Elephant car insurance
Elephant offers all standard auto insurance coverages, but not many optional coverages.
Elephant auto insurance policy options include:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability insurance: This will pay the medical expenses and auto repair costs of another driver when you cause an accident.
- Collision insurance: This pays repair or replacement costs of your car after a covered collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: Comprehensive insurance pays to repair or replace your automobile following a covered non-collision event, such as hail damage.
- Medical payments insurance: This is for the medical expenses of you and your passengers when you are at fault for an accident.
- Personal injury protection: Personal injury protection will pay the medical expenses of you and your passengers, regardless of which driver is at fault for an accident.
- Roadside assistance coverage: If you need assistance like fuel delivery, jumpstarts, lockouts, tire changes and towing if you break down on the road, this coverage will help pay for it.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance: This will cover the medical costs of you and your passengers, as well as repair costs to your car, when an underinsured or uninsured driver causes an accident.
Take advantage of Elephant Insurance’s discounts to save further on your premiums. The company claims you could save up to 40 percent off. Discounts include:
- Multi policy: Save when you bundle your insurance coverages from Elephant Insurance together. And if you insure more than one vehicle, you’ll pay less.
- Good student: High school and college students save on car insurance if they have good grades.
- Going paperless: There are three discounts when you forego paperwork. Get discounts for online quotes, paperless billing and electronic signing.
- Safety discounts: Cars featuring safety equipment and drivers with an accident-free history will earn you reductions on your insurance.
Elephant homeowners insurance
Elephant Insurance doesn’t sell home insurance directly or underwrite home policies. Instead, it offers homeowners coverage through Homesite Group.
Homeowners policies offered by Elephant feature replacement cost coverage, which pays to repair or rebuild your home at current market costs. However, in certain cases, a policy may only pay actual cash value for roof damage. Elephant offers most standard home insurance coverages, but not many addons. Standard policies include:
- Dwelling coverage: This is to pay repair or rebuild costs after a covered calamity such as a fire or vandalism.
- Loss of use coverage: Loss of use coverage will pay your hotel and meal expenses if you must move out of your home following a covered disaster.
- Medical payments coverage: This will pay the medical expenses of a guest who sustains an injury on your property.
- Personal property coverage: This coverage will pay for items such as clothing and furniture damaged or destroyed by a covered peril or stolen by a burglar.
Elephant’s optional homeowners coverages include:
- Extended dwelling coverage: This provides 25% to 50% extra protection to your base dwelling coverage.
- Identity theft protection: This will pay up to $15,000 in expenses resulting from identity theft.
- Personal injury protection coverage: This option is to help pay legal expenses if someone sues you for invasion of privacy, libel or slander.
- Valuable items coverage: Valuable items coverage pays for expensive personal items such as artwork, cameras, furs, jewelry, musical instruments, silverware or sports equipment damaged by a covered peril or stolen by a burglar.
The Elephant Insurance Company doesn’t provide much as far as discounts. The full-service insurer rewards customers who have more than one type of coverage with a multi-policy discount when you bundle your coverage.
Elephant life insurance
Elephant Insurance provides customers life insurance underwritten by American Family Life Insurance Company. If you have loved ones who rely on you, a life insurance policy could provide for them after you’re gone.
Types of policies offered
Elephant Insurance keeps coverage simple by providing term life insurance. Choose a term length between 10 and 30 years and get a quote online. If you like the quote provided, rest assured you’ll know what to expect in premium payments for the life of your policy.
Elephant ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Elephant insurance reviews are a valuable resource to find out what you need to be aware of before signing up with a provider.
First, an insurer’s financial strength is an indicator of its ability to cover claims, so when shopping for insurance, always check each carrier’s credit rating. Currently, the three major credit rating agencies – AM Best, Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s have not rated Elephant Insurance.
Also, check each carrier’s customer service ratings. Every year, market research company J.D. Power conducts studies of the auto and home insurance markets, rating and ranking insurers based on factors such as billing process, claims handling, customer interaction, policy offerings and price. Elephant Insurance didn’t make the cut in any of J.D. Power’s insurance studies.
The Better Business Bureau fields consumer complaints filed against companies and rates them based on the number of complaints it receives and how well a business settles grievances. The BBB gives Elephant its top rating, A+. In the last three years, Elephant customers have filed just 48 complaints with the BBB, most concerning product and services problems, common gripes within the insurance industry.
|AM Best||Moody’s||Standard and Poor’s||J.D. Power||Better Business Bureau|
|Elephant Auto Insurance||No rating||No rating||No rating||No rating||A+|
|Elephant Home Insurance||No rating||No rating||No rating||No rating||A+|
|Elephant Life Insurance||A||A1||A||No rating||A+|
Reasons Elephant is a great option
Elephant is a great choice for people who prefer doing business online. Elephant rewards insurance shoppers with a discount of up to 12 percent for requesting an online quote. If you qualify for several discounts, you could save up to 40 percent on your insurance premium.
Elephant also offers one-year terms on auto policies, unlike many companies that only offer six-month terms. If your current company inexplicably increases your rate every six months, consider switching to Elephant.
Elephant allows you to file a claim by email, mail, fax online or over the phone. However, the carrier doesn’t offer 24/7 phone claims or customer service.
Additional policies offered by Elephant
Besides auto, homeowners and renters insurance, Elephant also sells:
- Elephant renters insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Frequently asked questions
Who owns Elephant Insurance?
Elephant is a subsidiary of British financial services company Admiral Group. Admiral entered the U.K. insurance market in 1993 and founded Elephant Insurance in 2009.
In what states is Elephant Insurance offered?
Elephant Insurance writes policies in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Does Elephant Insurance operate local agencies?
No. You can only purchase an Elephant policy online or over the phone. After buying a policy, you can file and track a claim, pay your bill and view policy information online in your Elephant account. Elephant also has a mobile app, available for Android and Apple devices, which enables you to access your insurance documents, contact a customer service representative and request roadside assistance from the palm of your hand.
Does Elephant Insurance offer online quotes?
Yes. And, for requesting an online quote, you can earn up to a 12 percent discount.