Elephant Insurance Company is known for catering to the needs of tech-savvy customers by offering account management tools that policyholders can access from the convenience of their computers or mobile devices. The company also offers a wide range of coverage options. If you have unique coverage needs or prefer to do your business online, Elephant may be a great fit.
Elephant Insurance policies are offered in eight states: Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. The provider offers several types of insurance, including car, home and life insurance policies. Below, Bankrate’s insurance editorial team breaks down Elephant’s policy options, geographic availability, customer satisfaction, financial strength and discounts so you can decide if it could be the right choice for your needs.
Elephant car insurance
Elephant offers standard auto insurance coverage, but not many optional coverage choices.
Types of coverage
Elephant auto insurance policy options include:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage covers the medical expenses and auto repair costs of another driver when you cause an accident.
- Collision coverage pays repair or replacement costs for damage to your car after a covered collision.
- Comprehensive coverage pays to repair or replace your automobile following a covered non-collision event, such as hail damage.
- Medical payments coverage is for medical expenses for you and your passengers regardless of fault in an accident. Medical payments coverage is not available in all states.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) pays for medical expenses and other related costs for you and your passengers, regardless of which driver is at fault for an accident. PIP is required in no-fault states, may be optional in some states and is not offered in other states.
- Roadside assistance coverage covers service calls like fuel delivery, jumpstarts, lockouts, tire changes and towing.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage covers medical costs for you and your passengers when an uninsured or underinsured driver hits you. Depending on your state, property damage coverage — which covers damage for your car — may also be available.
- Loan/Lease payoff insurance pays the difference between your car’s actual cash value and your loan or lease amount if your vehicle is totaled or stolen.
- Rental reimbursement coverage covers the cost for a rental car if your vehicle is not able to be driven after a covered loss.
- Non-owner insurance covers bodily injury and property damage claims if you are at-fault in a collision. This type of policy is typically available for drivers who don’t own cars but drive often. This insurance typically will not cover damage to the vehicle you are driving.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage can step in to cover extra features such as custom paint jobs or equipment for handicapped persons.
Taking advantage of Elephant Insurance’s discounts could save you money on your premiums. Discounts include:
- Multi policy: You might save when you bundle your insurance policies with Elephant Insurance.
- Multi-car: If you insure more than one vehicle, you might earn a discount.
- Good student: High school and college students could save on car insurance if they have good grades.
- Paperless: There are three discounts when you forego paperwork. You could get discounts for online quotes, paperless billing and electronic signing.
- Safety discounts: Cars featuring safety equipment and drivers with an accident-free history might save on Elephant’s car insurance.
- Early bird: If you buy your policy several days before the effective date, you could save money.
- Referral: If you refer a friend to Elephant and they purchase a policy, your insurance might go down.
- Pay in full: Paying your premium in full could save you money.
- Work from home: If you are currently working remotely, Elephant might apply a discount to your policy.
Elephant homeowners insurance
Elephant Insurance doesn’t sell home insurance directly or underwrite home policies. Instead, it offers homeowners coverage through Homesite Group.
Types of coverage
Homeowners policies offered by Elephant feature replacement cost coverage, which pays to repair or rebuild your home at current market costs. However, in certain cases, a policy may only pay actual cash value for roof damage. Elephant offers most standard home insurance coverages, but not many add-ons. Standard policies include:
- Dwelling coverage: Dwelling coverage helps cover the costs of repairing or rebuilding your home in the event of a covered disaster, such as fire, wind, hail, vandalism, theft, snow, sleet or ice.
- Personal property coverage: This coverage is designed to pay for items such as clothing and furniture damaged or destroyed by a covered peril. This coverage may not fully cover valuable items such as art, firearms, cameras and jewelry. To insure these items, you can use various methods including purchasing an endorsement or a buyer’s protection plan.
- Loss of use coverage: Loss of use coverage pays your hotel, meal and other qualifying expenses if you must move out of your home following a covered disaster. However, keep in mind that this coverage only covers the necessities — and excess spending could result in your insurance company withholding a payout or even charging you with fraud. You may want to check with your insurance agent to find out what is and is not covered.
- Liability coverage: If you are found negligent for a guest’s injuries or for damage to someone’s property, this coverage could pay for those costs and associated legal fees.
- Medical payments coverage: This pays the medical expenses of a guest who sustains an injury on your property, regardless of negligence.
Elephant’s optional homeowners coverages include:
- Extended dwelling coverage: This provides 25% to 50% extra protection to your base dwelling coverage.
- Identity theft protection: This may pay up to $15,000 for expenses resulting from identity theft.
- Personal injury protection coverage: This option is to help pay legal expenses if someone sues you for invasion of privacy, libel or slander.
- Valuable items coverage: Valuable items coverage can provide better protection for expensive personal items such as artwork, cameras, furs, jewelry, musical instruments, silverware or sports equipment.
The Elephant Insurance Company’s home insurance discounts are sparse. This full-service insurer rewards customers who have more than one type of coverage with a multi-policy discount when you bundle your coverage.
Elephant life insurance
Elephant Insurance provides customers life insurance underwritten by American Family Life Insurance Company. If you have loved ones who rely on you, a life insurance policy could provide for them after you’re gone.
Types of policies offered
Elephant Insurance keeps coverage simple by providing term life insurance. You can choose a term length between 10 and 30 years and get a quote online. If you like the quote provided, rest assured you’ll know what to expect in premium payments for the life of your policy.
Elephant ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Third-party reviews are a valuable resource to find out what you need to be aware of before signing up with a provider.
First, an insurer’s financial strength can be an indicator of its ability to cover claims, so when shopping for insurance, checking each carrier’s financial strength rating can be helpful. Currently, the three major credit rating agencies — AM Best, Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s have not rated Elephant Insurance.
Also, you might want to check each carrier’s customer service ratings. Every year, market research company J.D. Power conducts studies of the auto and home insurance markets, rating and ranking insurers based on factors such as billing process, claims handling, customer interaction, policy offerings and price. Unfortunately though, Elephant Insurance was also not rated by J.D. Power.
|AM Best||Moody’s||Standard and Poor’s||J.D. Power|
|Elephant Auto Insurance||No rating||No rating||No rating||No rating|
|Elephant Home Insurance||No rating||No rating||No rating||No rating|
|Elephant Life Insurance*||A||A1||A||No rating|
*Ratings are for American Family, which underwrites Elephant’s life insurance policies
Reasons Elephant Insurance is a good option
Elephant may be a great choice for people who prefer doing business online. Elephant rewards insurance shoppers with a discount for online quotes, paperless billing and electronic signing.
Elephant also offers one-year terms on auto policies, unlike many companies that only offer six-month terms. This could be appealing to customers who would rather only have one renewal period each year to help avoid rate increases.
Elephant allows you to file a claim by email, mail, fax online or over the phone. However, the carrier doesn’t offer 24/7 phone claims or customer service.
Additional policies offered by Elephant
Besides auto, homeowners and renters insurance, Elephant also sells:
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Frequently asked questions
Who owns Elephant Insurance?
Elephant is a subsidiary of British financial services company Admiral Group. Admiral entered the U.K. insurance market in 1993 and founded Elephant Insurance in 2009.
Can I bundle my homeowners insurance and auto insurance with Elephant?
Yes. Elephant allows you to bundle your home and auto policies and could reward you with a discount on both. Additionally, you might be able to pay both premiums in one simple billing process.
Does Elephant Insurance operate local agencies?
No. You can only purchase an Elephant policy online or over the phone. After buying a policy, you can file and track a claim, pay your bill and view policy information online in your Elephant account. Elephant also has a mobile app, available for Android and Apple devices, which enables you to access your insurance documents, contact a customer service representative and request roadside assistance from the palm of your hand.
Does Elephant Insurance offer online quotes?
Yes. Elephant even offers a discount to customers who choose to generate a quick online quote.