There are 3.2 million teachers in the United States, which means there are millions of educators working daily to improve the quality of education for countless students. Educators deserve some perks for the long hours and numerous responsibilities being a teacher involves. And one of the benefits is being able to save on car insurance for teachers. Not only are there policies from some carriers geared specifically towards educators and their unique needs, but there are discounts available too that teachers can take advantage of for lower premiums.
The best car insurance for teachers
A teacher could possibly need specialized coverage for their auto policy. When a teacher has a vehicle on school property or at a school function, additional coverages or limits could be beneficial and provide a more well-rounded policy for educators. There are insurance carriers who offer teachers car insurance for these unique circumstances.
California Casualty offers auto policies specifically for educators in almost all states, in addition to California. In some states, the educators policy allows for a $0 deductible if an educator or administrator’s car is vandalized while on school property or at an administrative office.
California Casualty includes other benefits in its auto policy, including identity theft restoration, if you fall victim to fraudulent activity. Plus your policy coverages automatically extend to anyone who drives your car, as long as you have given permission. The policies even include up to $2,000 in custom equipment coverage if you have made modifications to your vehicle.
Liberty Mutual offers a teacher-specific policy. This policy includes several additional coverages a teacher might find beneficial, including:
- Vandalism loss protection: You have a $0 deductible if your vehicle is vandalized while it’s on school property or if you are at a school-related event.
- Personal property coverage: This coverage provides up to $2,500 reimbursement per occurrence if your teaching materials or school-owned property is damaged or stolen while in your vehicle.
- Collision coverage: You have a $0 deductible if you are in a collision while driving during school-related activities or business and your vehicle is damaged.
Horace Mann is another carrier offering policies especially for educators. The Educator Advantage® provides benefits such as reimbursement up to $35 if you feel you can not drive home safely. Reimbursement is also provided for teachers for the cost of a replacement car if your new car is declared a total loss by the carrier from an accident.
Like some other carriers, the educator’s policy with Horace Mann has a $0 deductible if your car is vandalized, stolen or in a collision while on school property or at a school-sponsored activity.
Car insurance discounts for teachers
As an educator, you work hard for your earnings and you want them to stretch as far as possible. This means not overpaying for your auto insurance. Fortunately, there are multiple auto insurance discounts for teachers, even if you do not have a specific policy only for educators.
- Affinity discount: Some carriers offer discounts if you are affiliated with educator and educational groups. You can find additional discounts if you are a member of educator organizations such as the Association of American Educators or Association of Teachers Educators.
- Good grades discount: Your students may not be the only ones focused on earning good grades — many teachers are furthering their own education with advanced degrees or certifications. It is possible you may be eligible for a good grades discount if you are able to maintain a certain grade point average.
- Loyalty discount: Most carriers offer additional savings when you remain loyal and renew your policy year after year.
- Bundling discount: Almost all carriers offer a bundling discount if you purchase both your auto and home/renters/condo insurance together.
Why would insurance companies give discounts to teachers?
A variety of personal factors are taken into consideration when you are applying for auto insurance, and occupation is one of them. Insurance carriers offer discounts to a number of professions, from military and federal employees, to law enforcement and teachers. Since insurance carriers are in the business of risk, it is likely teachers are considered less risky, therefore the carriers are able to offer additional discounts.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best insurance company?
The best insurance company depends on what attributes are most important to you and your circumstances. It helps to consider factors such as customer service ratings, financial strength of the carrier, coverage options and available discounts to find the best for you.
How much will I pay for auto insurance?
Your rates are determined by a number of personal factors, including your age, gender, credit history, drivers record and vehicle. Plus, rates vary from one carrier to another, so determining your exact rate is only possible through obtaining quotes. Bankrate reviewed quotes from numerous carriers and found the average cost of insurance for minimum coverage nationwide is $565 per year, while full coverage averages $1,674 per year.
How can I pay the least expensive premiums?
Cheap car insurance for teachers is possible while still obtaining adequate levels of coverage, but it means you need to do a little bit of homework. Fortunately, getting quotes from multiple carriers is an easy way to compare rates and discounts offered for the coverage you need. Be sure to review all available discounts, as there might be ones available you might be unaware of, but can add significant savings to your policy.