The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is one of the best cash back credit cards available today, and its flat earning rate can make your credit card rewards strategy complete if you have other credit cards for earning rewards in bonus categories. Or, if you prefer maximum simplicity, the Capital One Quicksilver can serve as your sole rewards credit card, allowing you to earn 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase you make.
Besides the straightforward rewards system, the Capital One Quicksilver has many other benefits that make it an attractive card option.
Capital One Quicksilver card benefits
An easy-to-earn welcome bonus
The card comes with a decent sign-up bonus offer: You’ll get $200 in cash back after only spending $500 on the card within the first three months. This bonus might not be the highest in value, but the spend requirement is low, especially considering the amount of time you’ll have to meet it.
A lengthy zero-interest offer
The Capital One Quicksilver includes a 0 percent intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. This is an excellent offer, especially if you’re looking to finance a large purchase or carry a balance. After that intro period ends, you’ll be charged a variable APR of 15.24 percent to 25.24 percent, so it’s best to avoid incurring interest charges once the intro offer runs out.
Solid purchase protections
Your Capital One Quicksilver card may provide valuable purchase protection benefits, such as:
- Extended warranties: Extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for up to two years.
- Price protection: Reimburses you for the price difference of an item you’ve purchased with the card if you find it at a better price.
- Purchase assurance: Covers eligible purchases in case of damage or theft.
- Cellphone protection: Reimburses you for the cost of replacement or repair of your cellphone if it’s damaged or stolen. To use this coverage, you must charge your monthly phone bill to your Capital One Quicksilver card.
No foreign transaction fees
The Capital One Quicksilver is a good card to take with you if you’re traveling abroad. Not only are Mastercard and Visa cards (both of which Capital One uses for issuing Quicksilver cards) widely accepted worldwide, but the card also charges no foreign transaction fees (like all Capital One credit cards).
Many other similar credit card products typically charge around 3 percent for purchases made outside of the U.S., but with the Capital One Quicksilver, you can save money on fees and continue to earn rewards while traveling internationally.
Valuable travel protections
The Capital One Quicksilver may include a number of common travel protections, such as:
- Travel accident insurance: Covers you and eligible family members in the event of a qualifying accident while you’re traveling on a licensed common carrier. This coverage only applies to the airfare you’ve purchased with the Capital One Quicksilver.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance: Applies if you have to cancel your trip for a qualifying reason, as long as you’ve charged the tickets to your Capital One Quicksilver card.
- Baggage delay insurance: You may be reimbursed when your luggage is delayed. The coverage is secondary to any other type of insurance you may have and only applies to essential items you need when away from home. As with other travel coverage benefits, your tickets must be purchased with the Capital One Quicksilver.
- Lost or damaged luggage coverage: Reimburses you for your checked or carry-on luggage if it’s lost or in need of repairs. Again, you must charge your airfare to the Capital One Quicksilver to use this coverage, and it’s secondary to any other insurance you may have.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Provides coverage in case of rental vehicle damage or theft when you’ve paid for it with your Capital One Quicksilver and declined the rental agency’s insurance. This is also secondary coverage and it kicks in after your own insurance policy.
- Travel assistance services: Helps you and your companions when you’re traveling. You can also request information on travel requirements, such as documentation and immunization, before your trip.
Identity theft protection
Identity theft is a prevalent issue, and your Capital One Quicksilver can provide some relief if you believe you’ve been a victim. This may include:
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection: Offers access to identity theft resolution services if you suspect you’ve become a victim of identity fraud.
- Identity fraud expense reimbursement: Provides coverage for losses incurred as a result of identity theft.
CreditWise tool access
You can use the CreditWise tool, found within the mobile app, to monitor your credit score. Doing so will have no impact to your score. This is especially useful for younger consumers and those seeking to rebuild credit.
How to maximize the Capital One Quicksilver
To maximize Capital One Quicksilver card rewards, be sure to pay for as much as possible with your card, particularly purchases that don’t typically earn higher category bonus rates. It would also be best to pair this flat-rate cash back card with a rotating bonus category card to earn more rewards on your spending.
Additionally, Capital One may offer Quicksilver cardholders valuable benefits like purchase, travel and identity theft protections, as listed above. Note that your Capital One Quicksilver may be either a Visa or a Mastercard, and of a certain tier, which impacts which benefits are offered to you. Some of the benefits listed above might not be included or might come with different terms. Consult your benefits guide to check what’s available to you so that you can be sure to take advantage of all the offered card issuer and network benefits.
The bottom line
The Capital One Quicksilver is a convenient cash back card, but it has much more to offer than its 1.5 percent cash back rate. Knowing all of the card’s benefits will help you to get more value out of it—and potentially save hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
That said, Capital One offers a variety of credit cards tailored to students, travelers, small-business owners and more. Make sure to compare all of your options before selecting a card so you can be sure you’ll get the best card for your needs.