Skip to Main Content

Tax guidance and resources

Looking for advice on lowering your federal or state taxes? You’ve come to the right place. Plus, get news and advice related to tax brackets, property taxes, estate taxes and more.

Latest Articles

  • Placeholder image

    Rolling into a Roth

    If a traditional IRA contains some after-tax contributions, it can still be converted to a Roth.

    1 min read Oct 06, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Deducting exercise equipment

    If a doctor prescribes exercise equipment for physical therapy, the IRS allows a deduction.

    1 min read Sep 24, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Inherited IRA withdrawals

    The beneficiary of an inherited IRA can withdraw without the 10-percent penalty.

    2 min read Sep 18, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Taxes on per diem

    When figuring whether or not per diem is taxed, take into account your ‘tax home,’ says CPA George Saenz.

    2 min read Sep 16, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Moving an IRA to another bank

    How often you can transfer retirement accounts depends on the type of transfer, says CPA George Saenz.

    2 min read Sep 15, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Real estate taxes for ex-pats

    An ex-pat married to a non-resident alien needs to weigh the merits of a second U.S. home, says CPA George Saenz.

    2 min read Sep 11, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Dodging double taxation

    Germany has a tax treaty with the U.S., which will help employees avoid double taxation.

    2 min read Sep 04, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Actual tax rates may vary

    Long-term capital gains rates are the same under AMT, but phaseouts could change your rate.

    2 min read Sep 03, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Bank deposit taxes

    Foreigners are exempt from income tax on bank deposit interest.

    1 min read Aug 26, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Retirement account losses

    A legal settlement for retirement account losses won’t affect contribution limits.

    1 min read Aug 25, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Maximizing your 401(k)

    Save income tax, and set your 401(k) contributions to maximize your employer’s match.

    2 min read Aug 12, 2008
  • Placeholder image

    Filing for the incapacitated

    By using a power of attorney, a couple can file a joint tax return if one spouse has dementia.

    2 min read Aug 11, 2008
The trusted provider of accurate rates and financial information
Wall Street Journal
USA Today
The New York Times