About Bankrate Score
PenFed Personal Loans: 2023 Review
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
At a glance
Best for people needing a small loan
PenFed is best for borrowers who need to borrow less than $50,000 and are in good financial shape. Because many of PenFed's requirements aren't listed, those with good credit and a solid repayment history have the highest approval odds.
PenFed pros and cons
High minimum credit score.
Low maximum loan amount.
Do you qualify?
The credit union's eligibility qualifications aren't listed on its website, but personal loan lenders and credit unions generally require the following.
- Good to excellent credit score: Those with scores of 700 or more are most likely to be approved, but those with higher scores will be offered the most favorable rates.
- Strong credit history: Those with a thin or less-than-stellar credit history may need to enlist the help of a co-borrower to get approved.
- Low debt-to-income (DTI) ratio: Your DTI ratio is determined by dividing your total debts by your gross monthly income. Lenders typically favor those who have a DTI no greater than 36 percent.
What PenFed doesn't allow loan funds to be used for
PenFed doesn't specify exactly what you can't use the funds for. However, most lenders prohibit using personal loans for investing, certain business expenses or college tuition.
The use requirements vary by lender, so read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting your offer.
How this lender compares4.8Bankrate ScoreAPR from7.74%-17.99%Loan AmountUp to $50,000Term LengthUp to 60 monthsMin Credit ScoreNot disclosed4.8Bankrate ScoreAPR from8.99%–25.81%Loan Amount$5,000–$100,000Term Length24 to 84 monthsMin Credit Score6804.6Bankrate ScoreAPR from7.99%-25.49% *with AutoPayLoan Amount$5,000–$100,000Term Length24 to 84 monthsMin Credit ScoreNot disclosed
PenFed vs. SoFiPenFed and SoFi both offer competitive rates for borrowers in good financial shape. But SoFi stands out among the rest due to its protections and benefits. Even so, those who are already members of PenFed may want to consider borrowing within the credit union, as they'll gain access to exclusive member benefits.
PenFed vs. LightStreamPenFed and LightStream are strong contenders for those with excellent credit. They offer similar APR ranges, although PenFed comes out ahead of LightStream's maximum APR of 25.49 percent. Plus, borrowers should consider prequalifying with PenFed first — LightStream doesn't offer the same benefit.
PenFed Credit Union: in the detailsLoan AmountUp to $50,000APR from7.74%-17.99%Term lengthsUp to 60 monthsFunds available in1-2 days, depending on payment methodAdditional requirementsMust meet membership requirements
What we like and what we don’t like
Like every lender, there are both drawbacks and advantages to borrowing a personal loan with PenFed. Here's what to know about the company before signing on the dotted line.
What we like
- Low fees: PenFed doesn't charge fees that detract from the overall value of the loan, like origination, application or prepayment fees.
- Allows joint applications: Applicants can add a co-borrower to increase their chances of scoring a better rate or getting approved.
- Fast disbursement: Depending on the time of day that your loan is processed, you could receive your funds as early as the next business day if you choose direct deposit.
What we don't like
- Limited eligibility information: The website's eligibility information is sparse at best, leaving out requirements like minimum income and credit requirements.
- Membership required: PenFed requires membership to get approved for a personal loan, which includes opening and maintaining a savings account with the company.
- Low maximum amount: PenFed's maximum loan amount of $50,000 pales in comparison to most lenders' maximum borrowing amount of $100,000 or more.
How to contact PenFed
Members can contact a customer service representative by calling 800-247-5626 during the following hours.
- Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET.
- Saturday from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET.
- Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET.
You can also get in contact with the credit union through its secure online messaging platform. Borrowers can also receive support through the company's 24/7 help center, either by typing a message for the next available agent or by viewing the frequently asked questions page.
How to apply for a personal loan with PenFed
You can apply for a PenFed personal loan before becoming a member, but you must become a member to view your terms. The application process can be completed online or in person at one of its brick-and-mortar locations.
Before applying, have your employment and annual income documentation on hand, as well as an official government ID, to ensure a smooth and easy process.
- Go to the "Personal Loans" tab in the "Loans" section.
- Click on the green "Check your rate" button. If you're already a member you can choose to log in and if you're not yet a member, PenFed will create your membership alongside your loan application.
- Follow the application prompts. Be prepared to upload personal documentation and state the reason for your application, as well as basic details like your requested loan amount and term.
- Keep an eye out for any information from PenFed regarding your status and download the mobile app to track your application status.
- Depending on the disbursal method you choose, you could receive the funds in as little as one to two business days.
Should your application time out, you can pick up where you left off later through a one-time verification code that will be sent to you via text message.
Features and additional perksThere are a few perks that come with borrowing from PenFed. For one, prospective borrowers can choose to prequalify, which lets them see what rates they qualify for without a hard credit check.The credit union also offers a financial hardship assistance program for those who have experienced temporary or permanent hardship, like loss of income or employment. Among other benefits, PenFed offers relief-based modified loan details, alternative repayment options and a forbearance plan.After applying for financial assistance, borrowers will be matched with a Loss Mitigation Analyst. The analyst comes at no extra cost and works with the borrower to determine the best repayment route.
Fees and penalties
PenFed Credit Union doesn’t charge an origination fee for personal loans. In addition, it touts that it has no hidden fees for personal loans. There is also no penalty for paying the loan off early.
There are two fees that borrowers should know about:
- A $29 charge for late loan payments.
- A $30 charge for a returned loan payment, check or ACH.
PenFed frequently asked questions
How Bankrate rates PenFed
Overall Score 4.7 Explanation Availability 4.9 Same-day funding and a low minimum loan amount earn PenFed a high score. Affordability 4.8 Two fees — late and returned payment — reduce PenFed's score, but not by much. Customer Experience 5.0 Assistance seven days a week, a website and a mobile app make for a top-tier score. Transparency 4.2 PenFed doesn't clearly list its credit requirements on its site, but it does offer prequalification.
To select the top personal loan lenders, Bankrate considers 20 factors. These factors include credit requirements, APR ranges, fees, loan amounts and flexibility to account for a wide range of credit profiles and budgets. Bankrate reviewed over 30 lenders and gave each a Bankrate rating, which consists of four categories:
- Availability: What the minimum loan amounts are, its eligibility requirements and loan turnaround are considered in this category.
- Affordability: The interest rates, penalties and fees are measured in this section of the score. Lower rates and fees and fewer potential penalties result in a higher score.
- Customer experience: This category covers customer service hours, if online applications are available, online account access and mobile apps.
- Transparency: This category is measured by how accessible credit requirements, rates and fees are on the lender's page. We also took into account whether prequalification was available, as all these factors are key for consumers to make an informed decision.
Editorial disclosure: All reviews are prepared by Bankrate.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the lender’s website for the most current information.
Santander Bank4.4 Bankrate Score
With over 450 brick-and-mortar locations, Santander Bank offers personal loans that come with low fees and flexible repayment options.
Achieve4.7 Bankrate Score
Achieve (formerly known as FreedomPlus) is an online personal loan provider with same-day loan decisions and funding within 24 hours for loans up to $50,000.
LendingClub4.3 Bankrate Score
LendingClub’s unsecured personal loans offer $1,000 to $40,000 with relatively affordable APRs. It charges origination fees and requires fair credit.
LightStream4.6 Bankrate Score
LightStream has no fees for personal loans and offers very competitive rates. Its loans can be used for nearly anything, including debt consolidation.
Best Egg4.6 Bankrate Score
Best Egg is an online lender known for offering borrowers low rates and quick funding, often in as little as one business day.
Mariner Finance4.1 Bankrate Score
Mariner Finance offers loans as small as $1,000 and accepts joint applications, but applicants may have to visit a branch in one of 24 states.
Personify4.0 Bankrate Score
Personify is known for offering loans to people with below-average credit.
Municipal Credit Union4.4 Bankrate Score
Municipal Credit Union offers low rates on personal loans, but you must become a member to qualify.
American Express4.4 Bankrate Score
American Express offers personal loans to card members who qualify.