Here's a breakdown of some of the benefits and drawbacks of SoFi personal loans.
- No fees
- Range of loan amounts
- Good digital experience
- Joint applications accepted
- Good credit required
- No same-day funding
A SoFi personal loan is a great option for borrowers who make a decent income and have good credit. There are no origination fees or late fees, and you won’t be penalized for paying off your balance early.
In addition to the low rates and lack of fees, when you sign on for a SoFi loan, you get a range of exclusive member benefits, including access to career coaches and financial advisors, as well as invitations to exclusive virtual events and other “member experiences.”
A SoFi personal loan may be a viable option if:
- You have good to excellent credit: For a personal loan, SoFi loan borrowers must have a FICO Score of at least 680.
- You have a short credit history: SoFi is more interested in how responsible you’ve been at paying bills than how long you’ve been paying them.
- You want an entirely online experience: The entire process takes place virtually, from applying for a loan to receiving approval.
$5,000 to $100,000
5.74% to 20.28% (with autopay)
|Minimum credit score||
|Time to receive funds||
Within a few days
Pros and cons of SoFi personal loans
Here’s a breakdown of some of the benefits and drawbacks of SoFi personal loans.
- No fees: SoFi doesn’t charge origination or prepayment fees, nor does it charge fees for late payments.
- Range of loan amounts: SoFi loan amounts range from $5,000 to $100,000, making it a great option to fund a variety of purchases or pay off high-interest credit card debt.
- Good digital experience: The entire process takes place online. SoFi even has an app where you can apply for a loan, check your balances and manage your payments.
- Joint applications accepted: If you’re unable to qualify for a loan or are looking for a lower interest rate, SoFi allows you to apply with a co-applicant.
- Good credit required: SoFi requires a minimum credit score of 680 to be approved for a personal loan.
- No same-day funding: Once approved, borrowers will receive their funds within a few days, according to SoFi.
Loan amounts range from $5,000 to $100,000, although minimums may be higher in other states. SoFi loans are not available in Mississippi.
Interest rates range from 5.74 percent to 20.28 percent and are based on a 0.25 percent autopay reduction. This means that as a borrower, you agree to have monthly payments automatically deducted from your checking or savings account. Maximum interest rates may be lower in some states.
SoFi personal loans are repayable over two to seven years.
Fees and penalties
SoFi personal loans do not have any fees. It’s one of the few online lenders that doesn’t charge an origination fee, and there are no prepayment penalties for paying off your loan early. SoFi also doesn’t charge late fees, but by missing payments, you’ll accumulate more interest and could see negative credit impacts.
SoFi stands out among other lenders by offering unemployment protection. If you lose your job, you can apply to have your loan payments suspended without affecting your credit. You can pause your loan payments for up to 12 months, although you’ll continue to accrue interest on the balance.
To enact this payment pause, you have to prove that you’re receiving unemployment benefits and actively seeking a job, and you have to agree to work with SoFi’s career strategy services to help you in your search.
How to apply for a loan with SoFi
SoFi makes the application experience simple. You’ll start by creating a username and password and providing some basic information to see if you prequalify. The application is entirely online, but SoFi does provide customer service numbers should you need support. You can reach customer support at 855-456-7634 Monday through Thursday from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT and Friday through Sunday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.
Before finalizing your loan, SoFi, like all lenders, will do a “hard” credit check, which can adversely impact your credit score. SoFi says you should receive funds within a few days after signing the documentation and confirming your address.
If you are rejected for a SoFi personal loan and you believe that your financial standing is strong enough, consider asking for clarification. The explanation could be as simple as a processing error, or there may be a negative mark on your credit report that you need to investigate.
How Bankrate rates SoFi
|Availability||3.8||While you can be approved with SoFi on the same day you apply, you’ll have to wait a few days to receive funds.|
|Affordability||5.0||SoFi’s low minimum APR and lack of fees makes it affordable for many borrowers.|
|Customer Experience||5.0||An app, a seamless online experience and a range of phone support hours gives SoFi the edge in terms of customer experience.|
Editorial disclosure: All reviews are prepared by Bankrate.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the lender’s website for the most current information.