Pros and cons of Axos Bank personal loans
Here’s a breakdown of some of the benefits and drawbacks of Axos Bank personal loans.
- Fast funding: Funds are available within one or two business days after your application is approved.
- Range of term options: Borrowers can choose loan terms from one to five years.
- No prepayment penalties: Unlike some lenders, Axos doesn’t charge a fee for paying your loan off early.
- High standards for credit: Borrowers with credit scores below 720 or fewer than two years of established credit history likely won’t qualify.
- Origination fee: Axos Bank may charge an origination fee of up to 2 percent of the loan amount. For example, if you borrowed $35,000, a 2 percent origination fee would cost you $700.
- No brick-and-mortar bank branches: People who are not comfortable applying for a loan online and want a face-to-face banking experience will not be a good fit for an Axos Bank personal loan.
An Axos Bank personal loan borrower must have a good credit score of at least 720, so the lender isn’t a good option for people with low credit scores or no credit history. Other criteria Axos considers include:
- Credit history.
- Loan amount.
- Loan purpose (debt payoff, home improvements or major purchase).
- Repayment term (one to five years).
A personal loan from Axos Bank ranges from $5,000 to $35,000. All loans come with payoff terms of one to five years. The application process is entirely online, and once a loan is approved, a borrower can expect to receive the funds within one to two business days.
Fees and penalties
Axos Bank may charge a borrower up to 2 percent of the loan amount as an origination fee, which is a fee that covers the cost of processing the loan and verifying a new borrower. Negotiating a lower origination fee may lead to a higher rate.
If the loan is for $10,000 and the bank charges a 1 percent origination fee, it will collect $100 from the loan amount at closing and disburse $9,900 to the borrower. The borrower still has to repay the $10,000, plus interest.
How to apply for a personal loan with Axos Bank
Axos is a digital bank, so all applications are filled out online. It only offers unsecured loans, so you don’t have to put up collateral to secure the loan. Preliminary offers do not affect your credit score. To apply for a personal loan with Axos Bank, you’ll need to provide:
- Basic personal details such as address, phone number and Social Security number.
- Income information.
- Debt information (credit cards, auto loan and housing payments).
- How much you want to borrow.
- Whether you rent or own your home