United Auto Insurance (UAI) is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, and serves customers in both Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana. Don’t be fooled by the name. Besides car insurance, the company also offers home and renters insurance policies. The 43-year-old insurer is known for having lower average premiums for its small pool of customers and specializes in last-minute coverage. Before you make your decision, you may want to analyze the perks and drawbacks presented in this United Auto Insurance review.
|Offers last-minute coverage and same-day SR-22 filing||Only available in two states|
|Provides service in Spanish and English||No online claims filing|
|Advertises low rates, even for drivers with tickets on their driving record||No mobile app|
UAI specializes in issuing last-minute coverage and same-day SR-22 filing, which may be helpful if you’re nearing the end of your current policy and don’t want your coverage to lapse. The company also advertises that it provides coverage for all drivers, including teens and drivers with tickets on their record. UAI writes policies in Illinois and Indiana.
United Auto car insurance | Bankrate Score: Unrated
United Auto Insurance may be a competitive option for drivers with tickets on their record who still want affordable coverage, or for drivers who want coverage immediately without a waiting period.
The company offers standard auto insurance coverage options. In addition, it files SR-22s on drivers’ behalfs and offers taxi, limousine, commercial vehicle and motorcycle insurance. If you’re looking for roadside assistance, UAI offers 24-hour emergency road service in the state of Illinois, which includes towing and lockout services. Currently, the company is not rated by AM Best, Standard & Poor’s (S&P) or J.D. Power.
United Auto car insurance discounts
Wondering how to lower your car insurance? United Auto offers a few common car insurance discounts, including savings for multi-car policies and being a safe driver. One of its more unique discounts is its car insurance renewal discount:
- Car insurance renewal: If your car insurance remains in force without any lapses for a certain amount of time, you may qualify for this discount and have savings automatically applied. However, exact discount amounts will vary.
United Auto home insurance | Bankrate Score: Unrated
Contrary to what its name may suggest, United Auto Insurance offers homeowners insurance policies to financially protect your home and personal belongings. United Auto home insurance offers basic home policies in Indiana and Illinois, including standard coverage types for property damage and other covered losses. The website allows you to easily get a quick online quote. Or, if you prefer, you can call the company and have an agent generate your quote.
UAI may be a good option for Illinois and Indiana residents who are looking for a local homeowners insurance provider with basic coverage options.
United Auto home insurance discounts
United Auto Insurance does not advertise any home insurance discounts. If you’re looking for savings opportunities, you may want to talk with your insurance agent one-on-one to see if there are any ways you can lower your premium.
Other United Auto Insurance perks worth considering
Beyond home and auto insurance, you may want to consider the following perks that could make UAI the right provider for you.
- Renters insurance: In addition to personal property coverage, UAI renters insurance offers policies to cover liability for personal injuries that may occur at your place. It also offers living expense coverage if you need a place to stay while your rented home is being repaired.
- Motorcycle insurance: UAI offers standard motorcycle coverage types as well as excursion diversion, rental coverage and roadside assistance for motorcycles.
- Commercial vehicle insurance: If you use your vehicle for business purposes such as delivery, service visits, taxi driving, sales calls and more, you may want to purchase commercial car insurance, which could help protect your finances in the event of an accident.
- Insurance tip repository: UAI’s website includes a list of advice articles on home and car insurance that you may find useful.
- Site version for Spanish speakers: UAI has an identical version of its website that’s written in Spanish for added accessibility and better customer service for Spanish speakers.
- SR-22 filing: UAI files SR-22, which is often required for drivers in Illinois with one or more negative marks on their motor vehicle report, such as license suspensions or revocations, multiple traffic offenses and auto insurance coverage lapses. This document notifies the Illinois Secretary of State that a driver carries the minimum liability insurance required in the state.
United Auto Insurance social responsibility
United Auto Insurance does not share any community outreach or social responsibility programs on its website.
Not sure if United Auto Insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
If United Auto isn’t the right choice for you, it may be helpful to consider the options on the list of car insurance companies below:
- State Farm: State Farm was deemed one of the best home insurance companies and one of the best auto insurance companies overall in the 2022 Bankrate Awards, which may make it a top consideration for those looking to bundle their coverage. State Farm offers generally low premiums, nearly nationwide coverage and high customer satisfaction.
- USAA: If you’re a member of the U.S. military, a veteran or a qualifying family member, you may want to look into USAA insurance. USAA offers low average premiums and consistently ranks highly in J.D. Power customer satisfaction surveys for home and auto.
- Geico: If you’re looking for a company that generally offers policies to high-risk drivers and has nationwide availability, you may want to get a quote from Geico. Its coverage is relatively basic, but the company offers a longer list of discounts than UAI.
Bankrate Scores primarily reflect a weighted rank of industry-standard ratings for financial strength and customer experience in addition to analysis of quoted annual premiums from Quadrant Information Services, spanning all 50 states and Washington, D.C. We know it is important for drivers to be confident their financial protection covers the likeliest risks, is priced competitively and is provided by a financially-sound company with a history of positive customer support.
To determine how well the best car insurance companies satisfy these priorities, third-party agency ratings from J.D. Power, AM Best, S&P, NAIC, and Moody’s had the most impact on the companies’ Bankrate Scores. As price is a common consideration for drivers, we analyzed quoted premiums based on 40-year-old male and female drivers with a 2019 Toyota Camry. This profile, assessed across more than 35,000 ZIP codes in the U.S., provided a basis on which drivers may compare each provider.
While coverage options, insurer availability, affordability and customer experience are often the top priorities, Bankrate also analyzed each insurer’s online and mobile resources for policy management and claims handling. Insurance is rapidly evolving to keep pace with our digital world, so these aspects also carried weight in determining Bankrate Scores.