Founded in 1999 and headquartered in Camarillo, California, New Era Debt Solutions is a debt settlement company. It is a member of the American Fair Credit Council (AFCC) and the Independent Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators (IAPDA).
Since its debut, New Era Debt Solutions has settled over $250 million in debt. Its team is made up of debt relief specialists, financial experts, attorneys, and support staff. New Era Debt Solutions prides itself on its excellent client service and a positive reputation in the debt settlement industry.
New Era Debt Solutions snapshot
|Type of debt relief||Debt settlement|
|Minimum debt settled||Not disclosed|
|Eligibility requirements||Must live in any state other than Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota|
|Credit score impact||Can damage your credit score|
New Era Debt Solutions is best for Spanish speakers
New Era Debt Solutions does a great job accommodating Spanish speakers. If you’re drowning in unsecured debt and speak Spanish, its debt settlement program may be a solid choice. You can view the New Era Debt Solutions in Spanish entirely. Also, once you schedule your free consultation and move forward with the program, you can also work with a Spanish-speaking debt specialist.
How New Era Debt Solutions works
To start the process, you’ll need to fill out an online contact form and schedule a free consultation. The form will ask you to share your name, phone number, state, email and how much unsecured debt you owe. From there, a debt specialist will get in touch with you, explain the program and answer any questions you may have.
Once the specialist learns more about your situation, they can help you figure out how much you can save and how long the debt settlement process would take. If you decide to pursue the program, you’ll make one deposit into a savings account every month.
In 6 to 12 months when the funds begin to add up, the debt specialists will negotiate settlements with your creditors. Once you settle and pay off all your accounts, you’ll complete the program.
What types of debt New Era Debt Solutions settles
New Era Debt Solutions settles unsecured debt or debt that isn’t backed by collateral. This can include:
- Credit card cards
- Department store cards
- Signature loans
- Personal lines of credit
- Old repossessions
- Other unsecured debts
- Old judgments
- Private student loans in default
Requirements and eligibility
Since New Era Debt Solutions isn’t available everywhere, you can only take advantage of its services if you live in any state other than Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota. Minimum debt requirements are unclear.
New Era Debt Solutions is not transparent about its fees. While it makes it clear that there are no upfront fees and it uses a “performance-based” fee model, the company does not reveal a free-range like many of its competitors do.
Pros and cons of New Era Debt Solutions
- Free debt analysis: New Era Debt Solutions offers a free consultation. You can learn more about its services and find out if you’re a good fit.
- Services and resources available in Spanish: If you prefer Spanish over English, you can view the website in Spanish. You may also go through the program with a Spanish-speaking debt relief consultant.
- Most clients become debt-free in two to three years: While the length of your program will depend on several factors, most of New Era’s clients get out of debt in three years or less. The average program length is 27.73 months.
- Unclear minimum debt requirements and fees: Even though New Era Debt Solutions states it doesn’t charge monthly or upfront fees, it’s not transparent about a fee range. It also fails to disclose minimum debt requirements.
- No weekend support for existing customers: New Era Debt Solutions doesn’t serve its customers on the weekends. This can be an issue if you’re particularly busy during the week.
- Not available in every state: While New Era does have a widespread presence in the U.S., it’s not everywhere. Its services aren’t an option if you live in Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota.
New Era Debt Solutions customer reviews
New Era Debt Solutions earned an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as well as positive reviews on sites like TrustPilot. In April 2021, however, Oregon filed a claim suing New Era Debt Solutions for its debt relief practices.
According to the filing, New Era Debt Solutions didn’t register with the state, violating Oregon state law. Since the company helped clients complete applications with the CFLN rather than providing debt relief services directly, it was required to cease and desist operations in Oregon.
New Era Debt Solutions also had to pay a $50,000 penalty. $40,000 of it was suspended, as long as the company does not violate Oregon law in the next three years and pays Oregon clients $22,265.21 in fees within 18 months. Currently, the company states that it does not serve Oregon.
Risks of debt settlement
While debt settlement can help you get out of debt, it’s not right for everyone as there are some risks. Depending on the program, you may pay anywhere from 15% and 25% of the debt that gets resolved. Your credit score may also suffer and make it difficult for you to get approved for low rates and favorable terms. In addition, the process may take longer than you think and you might also be on the hook for taxes on the forgiven debt.
Alternatives to New Era Debt Solutions
If you decide that New Era Debt Solutions isn’t a good fit, consider these alternative options.
- DIY debt relief: You can tackle your debt on your own through a strategy like debt snowball or debt avalanche. Or you may try to negotiate with your creditors on your own.
- Balance transfers: If you have credit card debt, a balance transfer may be a good choice. You can transfer debt from one credit card to another. You may take advantage of a 0% intro APR, meaning you won’t pay interest if you pay off your debt by the end of the intro period.
- Credit counseling: Some non-profits offer free or low-cost credit counseling services. While they won’t don’t usually negotiate debt, you may work with a credit counselor to design a budget or payment plan.
- Debt consolidation: With debt consolidation, you roll all of your debts into a single debt. This can leave you with one manageable monthly payment and streamline the process.
New Era Debt Solutions has been in the debt settlement industry since 1999. While the company does not disclose a range of fees or minimum debt requirements, it does offer a free consultation that can give you more information. With New Era Debt Solutions, you can get out of debt in three years or less, depending on your situation.
How Bankrate rates New Era Debt Solutions
|Services||Services were assessed based on minimum debt eligibility, types of eligible debt and whether or not the company provides free credit counseling.|
|Affordability||Affordability was assessed based on associated fees and whether or not the company specifies money-back guarantee terms.|
|Customer experience||Customer experience was assessed based on website usability and features, as well as app availability. Customer satisfaction and company reputation was assessed based on Better Business Bureau accreditation and reviews, as well as TrustPilot reviews.|
Stability was assessed based on how long the company has been in business and whether or not they maintain membership with a professional trade association.