Who is my federal student loan servicer?


At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here’s an explanation for

While the Department of Education is your lender if you have federal student loans, you won’t go to it when you have questions about your account.

Instead, you’ll work closely with your student loan servicer. This company processes all of your payments over the life of the loan, helps you enroll in the right repayment program and answers any questions that come up.

Nine loan servicers currently manage federal student loans. If you don’t know who your loan servicer is, there are a few ways to find out.

What are loan servicers?

A loan servicer is a company that manages your student loans. As a middleman between you and the lender, the loan servicer sends out your monthly bills, collects payments, reports payments to the credit bureaus and generally helps you resolve loan issues along the way. For instance, if you want to change your payment plan or apply for a hardship program, you’ll need to discuss it with your loan servicer first.

Borrowers don’t choose their loan servicer — they are assigned one. If you have federal student loans, then the Department of Education assigns your loan servicer for you.

How to find my loan servicer

Your loan servicer can provide lots of details about your loan, such as the loan balance, payment history and more. If you have multiple loans with multiple lenders, the Federal Student Aid website is a good place to start. Here are your options:

  • Log in to your account. Sign in to your Federal Student Aid account using your FSA ID. Your loan servicer should be listed on your account dashboard next to the details about your student loans.
  • Check the National Student Loan Data System. The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the Department of Education’s central database for federal student aid. To access it, you’ll need to enter your FSA ID or create an account if you don’t have one. Your account dashboard will list your federal student loans, along with your student loan servicer, loan balance, interest rate, loan status and other loan details.
  • Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center. You may also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). It will provide details about your federal student loans, including your loan servicer.
  • Check your credit reports. Additionally, your loan servicer may be listed on your credit reports. Head to AnnualCreditReport.com, where you can access a credit report from each of the three main credit bureaus — TransUnion, Equifax and Experian — for free once a year. Once you pull up a credit report, find where your student loans are listed. The loan servicer and lender should be listed next to the loan. For example: “MOHELA/Department of Education.”
  • Call your school. If your loan is for the upcoming school year or you’re still enrolled in classes, then your school’s financial aid office can provide your loan details, including your loan’s status, your loan amount and how to cancel the loan.

How to contact your loan servicer

Once you graduate or enter repayment, your loan servicer is your main source of information regarding your loan. There are nine loan servicers that currently manage federal student loans, plus a company that manages debt resolution:

Loan Servicer Contact
FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA) 1-800-699-2908
Granite State – GSMR 1-888-556-0022
Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc. 1-800-236-4300
HESC/Edfinancial 1-855-337-6884
MOHELA 1-888-866-4352
Navient 1-800-722-1300
Nelnet 1-888-486-4722
OSLA Servicing 1-866-264-9762
ECSI 1-866-313-3797
Default Resolution Group (also known as Maximus Federal Services, Inc.) 1-800-621-3115 (TTY: 1-877-825-9923 for the deaf or hard of hearing)

Loan servicer for private student loans

If you have private student loans, your loan information won’t show up in the NSLDS. Private institutions such as banks, credit unions and online lenders originate these loans and hire loan servicers to manage the accounts — much like federal student loans.

To find out who services your private student loan, log in to your lender website or app. You should be able to find details about your loans, including the loan balance, interest rates and loan servicer.

You can also check your credit reports. The loan servicer should be listed next to the account, along with contact information.

Where to find your loan information

As a borrower, you should understand certain details about your loans, including your student loan balance, payment plan, repayment term, and any fees that are involved. You can find information about your student loans by checking your account dashboard or calling 1-800-4-FED-AID.

The bottom line

The process of finding your student loan servicer can seem frustrating, but there are a few ways to find this information. Start by logging in to your student loan account, calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center or checking your credit reports.

Once you know who your loan servicer is, create an account if you didn’t have one before. You’ll usually need to create a username and password and provide your name, address and Social Security number for verification purposes. Make sure to tell your loan servicer when your address or other information changes so it can continue sending you important information about your loan.

Finally, return to your account each month to make payments, track your progress and get information about hardship options.

Learn more:

Written by
Kim Porter
Contributing writer
Kim Porter is a personal finance expert who loves talking budgets, credit cards and student loans. In addition to serving as a contributing writer for Bankrate, Porter also writes for publications such as U.S. News & World Report, Credit Karma and Reviewed.com. When she's not writing or reading, you can usually find her planning a trip or training for her next race.
Edited by
Student loans editor