Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card from Bank of America review
Editor’s note: Some of the offers on this page may be expired. Check out our Best Credit Cards page for the most up-to-date offers for our favorite credit cards.
Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card: Details and benefits
The Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card gives you the flexibility to choose where you earn cash back rewards while helping a greater cause. With each purchase, Bank of America pledges to make a donation to Susan G. Komen, a breast cancer research and charity foundation.
The card, similar to the MLB™ Cash Rewards Mastercard® from Bank of America, has the exact rewards structure as the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card. You’ll earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice (gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings), 2% back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 1% on everything else. There’s a $2,500 cap in combined 3% and 2% category purchases per quarter, after which the rate goes to 1%.
You won’t be charged an annual fee for owning the card and will receive an introductory 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers (made within your first 60 days) for 15 billing cycles (15.99% – 25.99% variable APR thereafter).
Is the Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card worth it for you?
The Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Visa is essentially the Bank of America Cash Rewards card but with a donation aspect, meaning the card is best for those looking to support the Susan G. Komen foundation.
According to Bank of America, here’s how the foundation benefits through the activation, use and renewal of Komen credit cards:
- For each new card, the foundation receives at least $3 and 0.08% of all purchases (not counting returns) made with the card as long as it remains open for, and is used to make a transaction within, the first 90 days of the account opening.
- The foundation receives $3 for each card renewal, provided that the card has been active within the past 12 billing cycles and doesn’t have a zero balance at time of renewal.
The Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Visa card may be a good fit for you if you’re looking to make a big purchase or balance transfer. The 0% APR introductory offer on purchases and balance transfers for your first 15 billing cycles (for balance transfers made in the first 60 days of account opening) means you’ll have 15 months to pay off your purchase or balance transfer without accumulating anything in interest (15.99% – 25.99% variable APR thereafter).
Get the most value from the Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card
If you have an eligible bank account and/or brokerage account with Bank of America or a Merrill account, the rewards value of the card starts to increase substantially.
As a Preferred Rewards member (with at least $20,000 in balance within either accounts), you’ll earn a 25% to 75% rewards bonus on all purchases. That means the 3% category could go up to 5.25%, the 2% category up to 3.5% and the 1% category up to 1.75%.
How much are the Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® rewards worth?
To get the most value out of the Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Visa, you’ll need to max out combined spending in the 3% and 2% categories.
If you spend $1,250 per quarter in the 3% category and another $1,250 per quarter in the 2% category, you’ll earn $250 in cash back by the end of your first year of card membership in those two categories alone.
Should you receive the $200 online cash rewards bonus (after spending $1,000 in your first 90 days of account opening), you’ll have earned at least $450 in cash back by the end of your first year — not counting what you’ve earned in the 1% category.
Depending on how you split up your spending in each category, you’ll have the potential to earn more.
How to redeem rewards
Cash back rewards for the card can be redeemed at any time in any amount as either a statement credit, gift cards through Bank of America’s online shopping portal, a deposit into your Bank of America checking or savings account or for credit to an eligible Merrill account. Simply log into your online account via desktop or mobile app to redeem.
The information about the Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Visa credit card from Bank of America has been collected independently by Bankrate.com. The card details have not been reviewed or approved by the card issuer.