NaviRefi is a student loan refinance product that’s available exclusively to borrowers who already have at least one loan serviced by Navient. You must receive an invitation code to apply.
Clearing that first hurdle is just the first step in the process, though, as you’ll also need to meet the lender’s other requirements. For borrowers who pass muster, NaviRefi offers low interest rates, high borrowing limits and flexible repayment options for those who are struggling. If you’ve been invited to apply, here’s what you should know about refinancing with a NaviRefi loan.
NaviRefi loans are available to select borrowers who have been invited to refinance by NaviRefi. You may refinance undergraduate, graduate and professional student loans. It’s a good option if you qualify and like your existing benefits, as Navient offers several programs for borrowers who are financially struggling. And depending on your financial profile, you might be eligible for an interest rate that’s lower than the rate on federal student loans.
But because you work with the loan servicer for several years while paying off your debt, it’s good to know who’s managing your student loans. Navient is facing multiple lawsuits alleging harmful and deceptive practices, so you may need to take extra steps to make sure that the company is handling your loan correctly.
NaviRefi student loan snapshot
$5,001 to $500,000
1.89% to 7.99% variable APR, 3.49% to 7.99% fixed APR (with autopay)
5 to 20 years
25 to 60 days after the disbursement date
Pros and cons of NaviRefi student loans
NaviRefi may not be the right choice for everyone. Below are some of its most significant benefits and drawbacks.
- Flexible repayment options: Borrowers who are struggling to afford payments have several repayment options.
- No fees: Borrowers won’t have to worry about origination fees, prepayment penalties or late fees.
- Low interest rates: NaviRefi offers competitive rates that make borrowing cheaper compared to other lenders.
- By invite only: You can apply for a NaviRefi loan only if at least one of your student loans is already serviced through Navient.
- Hard credit inquiry: When you apply, the lender performs a hard credit pull to provide you an interest rate quote. Other lenders offer prequalification, which involves a soft inquiry and won’t impact your credit.
- Potential problems with the servicer: NaviRefi loans are serviced by Navient, which is facing multiple lawsuits alleging that the company harmed borrowers.
NaviRefi student loan requirements
If you’ve received an invitation to apply for a NaviRefi loan, you’ll also need to meet other requirements:
- Strong financial standing. Navient will review your credit history, employment experience and income. You must have a minimum credit score of 650, or 700 if you didn’t graduate and you last attended school more than six years ago.
- Age. You must be at least the “age of majority” — which is 18 in every state except Nebraska and Alabama, where it’s 19 — to apply for one of these loans.
- Citizenship status. You must be a U.S. citizen or a noncitizen permanent resident.
- Loan amount. You must refinance at least $5,001 in qualified education loans, or $10,001 if you live in California.
- Location. NaviRefi loans are available to borrowers who live in Washington, D.C., and every state except Nevada. In certain states, variable interest rates are not available.
Who is this loan good for?
A NaviRefi loan is a good option if you already have a loan serviced by Navient, you’ve been invited to apply and your rates are more competitive than what you’d get with other lenders.
It also helps if you’ve already graduated and you’re employed, as Navient will partly base your qualification and loan terms on your employment status and income.
If you’re a current Navient customer but haven’t received an invitation to apply for a NaviRefi loan, call the company and ask about eligibility.
Interest rates and terms
NaviRefi loans come with competitive interest rates that can make borrowing cheaper. And as with most lenders, setting up automatic payments with your bank account can help you score a 0.25 percent interest rate discount.
If you qualify for a lower rate than what you have now — and you aren’t increasing the loan term — you could save money in the long run. Your APR will be based on factors such as your credit history and the length of your loan term. Here are the rates you can expect, including the autopay discount:
|Loan product||Variable rate||Fixed rate|
|Student loan refinancing||1.89% to 5.64%||3.24% to 7.99%|
Fees and penalties
NaviRefi doesn’t charge origination fees, but you may be assessed a late fee.
Repayment terms and grace period
When you refinance with a NaviRefi loan, you’ll need to start making payments within 25 to 60 days of disbursement. If you experience financial hardship later on, Navient has several ways to help make your loan payments more affordable:
- Forbearance allows you to temporarily reduce or suspend payments.
- The rate reduction program temporarily reduces your interest rate (and therefore your monthly payment) for increments of six months.
Navient also offers deferment options, which allow you to temporarily postpone payments while you’re:
- Enrolled in school at least half time.
- Receiving training through an internship, residency or fellowship program.
- Serving in the military.
NaviRefi loans are originated by Earnest Operations LLC and serviced by Navient Solutions LLC. You can contact NaviRefi’s customer service at 844-381-6621, Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET and Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
How to apply for a loan with NaviRefi
Applying for a NaviRefi loan starts with getting an invitation through the postal mail or via email. The invitation will include a code that’s good for 60 days. If you’re invited, head to the NaviRefi website and hit the “Check Your Rate” button to apply. You’ll enter the code and your name and email address. The lender will do a hard credit pull to confirm if you qualify and show you the terms of your refinance loan.
If you’re approved, follow the prompts to complete your application. You’ll need your Social Security number, employer name and total annual income.
How Bankrate rates NaviRefi
|Repayment Options||3.4||NaviRefi offers only one loan product and has high minimum loan amounts, though it does have a good range of repayment term options.|
|Affordability||3.8||Because NaviRefi offers only refinancing loans, there’s no grace period. However, NaviRefi’s rates are fairly low.|
|Customer Experience||4.0||While NaviRefi’s customer support is limited to weekdays, it has an easy-to-navigate online experience.|
Editorial disclosure: All reviews are prepared by Bankrate.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the lender’s website for the most current information.