Chase’s United Explorer Card offers rewards for travel that include baggage, a luxurious lounge, and so much more. Read to find out our take on the card, and find out if it may be right for you.
About the author
- Author of Expecting Money: The Essential Financial Plan for New and Growing Families—Publishers Weekly starred review and published in two editions
- Contributing reporter for U.S. News & World Report, focusing on credit news
- Personal finance program host. Produced Making it in San Francisco on KRON-TV and Adventures in Money podcast
Erica Sandberg is a credit and money management expert who began her career at Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS). There, she helped individuals and families overcome their debt issues and developed budgets, then transitioned into the agency's primary media spokesperson.
For CreditCards.com, Erica produces stories and advice columns, including her current Small Business Credit Profile, an interview platform that features entrepreneurs and the way they use credit products. She also pens the Business Banter column for Bankrate where she answers questions about credit options and writes articles about money and credit topics.
Other clients of Erica’s include Experian, Discover and First Republic Bank. Passionate about communicating money and credit information, she has represented Chase, Western Union, the Better Business Bureau and Learning Resources in media campaigns and is a speaker for journalism conferences.
As an expert, Erica provides commentary for news programs, from CNN to Fox, as well as on her local San Francisco news outlets. She has also been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times and San Francisco Chronicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in art history from San Francisco State University
- UC Berkeley extension’s 2-year financial planning certificate program
Volunteer and board activity
As a dedicated community advocate, Erica devotes her time to causes that move her, including to Downtown Streets Team where she helped people experiencing homelessness fix their credit problems, open bank accounts and prepare for a financially independent future.
Her volunteer board experience includes San Francisco Police Department’s Community Advisory Board on Homelessness, San Francisco SAFE (Safety Awareness for Everyone) and the Salvation Army Harbor Lights Center advisory board.
Features on Erica Sandberg
- BizNews: QA with Consumer Finance Reporter Erica Sandberg
- MuckRack: Interview with Erica Sandberg
- Badass Living: QA with Erica Sandberg
- Cision Help a Reporter Limelight Series: Interview with Erica Sandberg
- MediaShower: Expert Interview With Erica Sandberg on News and Content
- ThriveGlobal: 59 Women In Journalism Share Their Top 5 Tips To Excel As A Journalist
"I heard Erica on other podcasts and insisted that my producer book her as soon as possible so I might interview her. I was immediately taken with her broad life experience and her honest and accurate appraisals of some of the most important issues facing us today. Erica is insightful and delivers a clear perspective steeped in direct observation. Erica is an asset and delivers information in an easily digestible manner. And, of course, her financial philosophies, if adopted, could help many." – Dr. Drew Pinsky, media personality and internist, addiction medicine specialist.
Erica’s favorite stories, columns and shows
- Women in Business: Making it as a Female Entrepreneur
- Small Business Credit Profile: The Spot Barbershop
- How to Get a Business Credit Card with Bad Personal Credit
- Pent-up Consumer Demand: How to Manage Discretionary Spending
U.S. News & World Report
KRON: Making it in San Francisco
Erica's Latest Articles
3 min read Jun 21, 2021
The Capital One Venture Rewards card offers numerous perks and rewards for travel expenses. Find out our take on why this card is worth it, and decide if you should consider it for your new card.3 min read Jun 15, 2021
The difference between a business line of credit and business credit cards are some small nuances, but the two also work together in tandem to create the best business practices. Find out our take on the [...]3 min read Jun 14, 2021
Dear Business Banter, I got a 0 percent APR business card but didn’t pay the balance off in full and the high interest rate will be on it soon. What should I do? Can I open another card and transfer [...]3 min read May 31, 2021
Learn more about personal guarantees, including whether you need one to secure a business credit card.4 min read May 17, 2021
Business cards can make your life not just easier, but more profitable.4 min read May 03, 2021
A business credit card may be the right tool to help your business recover4 min read Apr 19, 2021
Dear Business Banter, I have a personal Capital One card and they are offering me a Spark card. Is it better to stay with one credit company or get one from a different credit company? I’ve been following [...]3 min read Apr 05, 2021
Though COVID-19 has changed many aspects of life, 2021 is actually a good time for some businesses to get off the ground.4 min read Mar 22, 2021
Opening a new business can be overwhelming—but making sure you have a business credit file will help you and your business in the long-run.4 min read Feb 22, 2021