2022 is the year you’re finally going to fulfill your dream of launching your own business or assertively growing the one you already have.
About the author
- Author of Expecting Money: The Essential Financial Plan for New and Growing Families—Publishers Weekly starred review and published in two editions
- Contributing reporter for U.S. News & World Report, focusing on credit news
- Personal finance program host. Produced Making it in San Francisco on KRON-TV and Adventures in Money podcast
Erica Sandberg is a credit and money management expert who began her career at Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS). There, she helped individuals and families overcome their debt issues and developed budgets, then transitioned into the agency's primary media spokesperson.
For CreditCards.com, Erica produces stories and advice columns, including her current Small Business Credit Profile, an interview platform that features entrepreneurs and the way they use credit products. She also pens the Business Banter column for Bankrate where she answers questions about credit options and writes articles about money and credit topics.
Other clients of Erica’s include Experian, Discover and First Republic Bank. Passionate about communicating money and credit information, she has represented Chase, Western Union, the Better Business Bureau and Learning Resources in media campaigns and is a speaker for journalism conferences.
As an expert, Erica provides commentary for news programs, from CNN to Fox, as well as on her local San Francisco news outlets. She has also been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times and San Francisco Chronicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in art history from San Francisco State University
- UC Berkeley extension’s 2-year financial planning certificate program
Volunteer and board activity
As a dedicated community advocate, Erica devotes her time to causes that move her, including to Downtown Streets Team where she helped people experiencing homelessness fix their credit problems, open bank accounts and prepare for a financially independent future.
Her volunteer board experience includes San Francisco Police Department’s Community Advisory Board on Homelessness, San Francisco SAFE (Safety Awareness for Everyone) and the Salvation Army Harbor Lights Center advisory board.
Features on Erica Sandberg
- BizNews: QA with Consumer Finance Reporter Erica Sandberg
- MuckRack: Interview with Erica Sandberg
- Badass Living: QA with Erica Sandberg
- Cision Help a Reporter Limelight Series: Interview with Erica Sandberg
- MediaShower: Expert Interview With Erica Sandberg on News and Content
- ThriveGlobal: 59 Women In Journalism Share Their Top 5 Tips To Excel As A Journalist
"I heard Erica on other podcasts and insisted that my producer book her as soon as possible so I might interview her. I was immediately taken with her broad life experience and her honest and accurate appraisals of some of the most important issues facing us today. Erica is insightful and delivers a clear perspective steeped in direct observation. Erica is an asset and delivers information in an easily digestible manner. And, of course, her financial philosophies, if adopted, could help many." – Dr. Drew Pinsky, media personality and internist, addiction medicine specialist.
Erica’s favorite stories, columns and shows
- Women in Business: Making it as a Female Entrepreneur
- Small Business Credit Profile: The Spot Barbershop
- How to Get a Business Credit Card with Bad Personal Credit
- Pent-up Consumer Demand: How to Manage Discretionary Spending
U.S. News & World Report
KRON: Making it in San Francisco
Erica's Latest Articles
5 min read Jan 10, 2022
No personal guarantee business credit cards are rare, though there are some card issuers that offer them.5 min read Dec 08, 2021
These 5 tips for your small business during the holiday season can help you maximize your profit.5 min read Nov 05, 2021
For many entrepreneurs, bringing a business to fruition is no small financial feat.6 min read Oct 28, 2021
Among the national issuers, American Express ranks the highest in customer satisfaction according to the J.D. Power 2020 Credit Card Satisfaction Study. This is one of the reasons why their credit cards [...]6 min read Oct 21, 2021
Whether you have a registered business or a side hustle, you can qualify for a business credit card. Here’s what you need to know before you apply.6 min read Oct 14, 2021
Many small business owners are struggling because of the coronavirus. Here’s how some small business owners are using credit cards to their advantage.6 min read Sep 27, 2021
A secured business credit card can help get your small business off the ground while you work to build a solid credit history.5 min read Aug 27, 2021