Dear Tax Talk,
I receive Social Security but am paying out a supplemental insurance premium of $164, plus dental expenses, because I have no dental insurance. Is any of this deductible? Does the 7.5 percent of total income threshold apply here? Thank you for your time.
— Judy

Dear Judy,
Yes, your supplemental health insurance is deductible as a medical expense on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, for Form 1040. You can deduct the amount that exceeds a certain percentage of your adjusted gross income, or AGI, and that depends on your age during the year.

If you or your spouse was older than 65 at some point during 2014, then the amount of your deductible medical expenses will be those that exceed 7.5 percent of your AGI. If you are not older than 65, then the threshold amount is 10 percent of your AGI. This is a temporary benefit to seniors; starting with your 2017 tax return, the threshold will go up to 10 percent.

Most taxpayers do not realize that premiums from Medicare supplement plans that are deducted from their Social Security benefits are deductible as a medical expense. I had an inquiry recently regarding deductibility of hearing aids and prescription eyeglasses; be sure to add those to your list if they apply.

Expenses you can and can't deduct | Medical graphics: © Marish/

Don’t forget the cost of the batteries on the hearing aids, as they can add up quickly. Additionally, you can include mileage to and from your doctor and other health care providers. The mileage rate is 23.5 cents per mile for 2014, and it decreases to 23 cents per mile for 2015. You can also include tolls and parking.

Thanks for the great question and all the best to you.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question on Tax Talk, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select “Taxes” as the topic. Read more Tax Talk columns.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Taxpayers should seek professional advice based on their particular circumstances.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.