Have you ever wondered what it would take to get enough credit card points for a round-the-world trip? Lillian Karabaic, personal finance expert and founder of Oh My Dollar!, shared with Bankrate how it’s [...]
About the author
Personal finance, habit formation
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), Illinois State University
- Ten years of personal finance writing experience, with stories published on Vox, The Simple Dollar, The Penny Hoarder, Lifehacker and more
- Five years writing and editing The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money
- Author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales
Nicole Dieker has been a full-time freelance writer since 2012—and a personal finance enthusiast since 2004, when she graduated from college and, looking for financial guidance, found a battered copy of Your Money or Your Life at the public library.
In addition to writing for Bankrate, her work has appeared on CreditCards.com, Vox, Lifehacker, Popular Science, The Penny Hoarder, The Simple Dollar and NBC News. Dieker spent five years as writer and editor for The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money. Dieker also teaches writing, freelancing and publishing classes and works one-on-one with authors as a developmental editor and copyeditor.
Nicole Dieker’s debut novel, The Biographies of Ordinary People, is a Millennial-era Little Women that follows three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Dieker is also the author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales, in which she reworks classic fairy tales to highlight their hidden financial lessons.
"I never knew I needed Rumpelstiltskin to involve Bitcoin or a parable about instant pots, but I’m so much happier now that I’ve read both. These stories will both delight and get you thinking about money." — Lillian Karabaic, author of Get Your Money Together and host of Oh My Dollar!
- MFA in Theatre, Illinois State University, 2008
- BA in Music, Theatre Minor, Miami University, 2004
- Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales (The Billfold, 2018)
- Earn More Money as a Freelance Writer (The Write Life, 2016)
- Start Here: 40 Freelance Writers Share How They Find Clients, Stay Motivated & Earn Well
- Today (contributor, Make a Living Writing, 2015)
Nicole's Latest Articles
5 min read Jun 04, 2021
If you want to use a credit card to build credit, you need to understand how on-time payments and credit card balances factor into your credit score. If you want to get the most out of your credit card [...]5 min read Jun 04, 2021
A Bank of America credit limit increase is possible, but you may need to ask.6 min read Jun 02, 2021
Not only is it possible to turn your gift cards into cash, it’s rather easy.3 min read May 27, 2021
Everything you need to know, from requirements to how to use Apple Pay.6 min read May 25, 2021
Here’s what you need to know about credit card interest.7 min read May 22, 2021
Agreeing to co-sign for a loved one may feel good, but it’s a really stupid idea.6 min read May 19, 2021
Discover cardholders can request a credit limit increase by phone, online or on the Discover app.7 min read May 13, 2021