If you’re using an introductory APR period to fund a large purchase, make sure you know when it ends.
About the author
Personal finance, habit formation
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), Illinois State University
- Ten years of personal finance writing experience, with stories published on Vox, The Simple Dollar, The Penny Hoarder, Lifehacker and more
- Five years writing and editing The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money
- Author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales
Nicole Dieker has been a full-time freelance writer since 2012—and a personal finance enthusiast since 2004, when she graduated from college and, looking for financial guidance, found a battered copy of Your Money or Your Life at the public library.
In addition to writing for Bankrate, her work has appeared on CreditCards.com, Vox, Lifehacker, Popular Science, The Penny Hoarder, The Simple Dollar and NBC News. Dieker spent five years as writer and editor for The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money. Dieker also teaches writing, freelancing and publishing classes and works one-on-one with authors as a developmental editor and copyeditor.
Nicole Dieker’s debut novel, The Biographies of Ordinary People, is a Millennial-era Little Women that follows three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Dieker is also the author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales, in which she reworks classic fairy tales to highlight their hidden financial lessons.
"I never knew I needed Rumpelstiltskin to involve Bitcoin or a parable about instant pots, but I’m so much happier now that I’ve read both. These stories will both delight and get you thinking about money." — Lillian Karabaic, author of Get Your Money Together and host of Oh My Dollar!
- MFA in Theatre, Illinois State University, 2008
- BA in Music, Theatre Minor, Miami University, 2004
- Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales (The Billfold, 2018)
- Earn More Money as a Freelance Writer (The Write Life, 2016)
- Start Here: 40 Freelance Writers Share How They Find Clients, Stay Motivated & Earn Well
- Today (contributor, Make a Living Writing, 2015)
Nicole's Latest Articles
5 min read Dec 15, 2021
If you want a simple, no-annual-fee credit card with a lengthy 0% intro APR offer that can help you pay off old debt or fund a large purchase, the Citi Diamond Preferred card might be the perfect tool [...]4 min read Dec 15, 2021
Cards with an APR at or below the national average is ideal, but a good APR for you will depend on your credit score.4 min read Dec 14, 2021
Zero percent APR offers provide an attractive way to buy now and pay later.7 min read Dec 13, 2021
One issuer gave you a $500 limit while another gave you a $1,000 limit. Find out why.5 min read Dec 13, 2021
Credit card issuers occasionally need extra time to accept or decline a credit card application. Here’s what you need to know about a pending application.4 min read Dec 10, 2021
It is possible to cancel a credit card application, but you have to act fast. Here’s what to do about a new credit card you no longer want.4 min read Dec 10, 2021
Learn about different types of cash back cards, how to use your rewards and more.8 min read Dec 08, 2021