The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
- Tax help in caring for an aging parent
Millions of adult children find themselves looking after aging parents. If you qualify, tax laws offer some help.
- The many blessings (and tax breaks) of children
Children are expensive. But parents can take advantage of several child-related tax breaks.
- Name and Social Security number coordination
Nonmatching name and Social Security number on a tax return could mean costly problems.
- Properly defined dependents can pay off at tax time
Kids depend on you for a lot, but at tax time they could pay off when you claim them as dependents.
- 2012-2013 estate tax and gift tax amounts
Whether you give away substantial amounts of money during your life or after, you may have to pay tax.
- 2010 exemption amounts
You can take an exemption for yourself, your spouse and each dependent you claim.
- Tax exemptions
What is considered a tax exemption?